Quantcast

Top Seven Things Google TV Needs To Pack

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, May 13, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

The Top Seven Things Google TV Needs To Pack [Following The Conclusion Of The 2011 Google I/O Show, We Take A Look At Google TV, And Suggest Modifications Like Games And eBook Access To Give It An Edge]

Steve Andersen on 13 May, 2011
    A list of seven things Google TV could add to give it an edge on its competitors....

With the 2011 Google I/O show now wrapping up, I figured it was a good time for the post-mortem. And there were a lot of things to look back at; Chromebooks, Android, and plenty more besides. With so many things to consider, what was I going to tackle in a good post-mortem? I figured it was a great time to take on Google TV. We’ve heard it get some extra potential this week in the form of Market access, but what else could Google TV use? And that’s why we’ve got the top seven things Google TV could use to give them an extra edge on its competitors.

[​IMG]

7. More brands
    We all know that Sony, Logitech, Vizio andSamsung are on board with the newest version of Google TV. But that means there are a lot of televisions that aren’t ready to work fully with this experience. Philips, Panasonic, and plenty more aren’t really ready for prime time on this one, and speaking as someone who’s owned a Philips for a good while, I can’t help but find that a shame. But the more brands out there that will fully work with Google TV, the better the coverage they’ll get, and the more people who can get in on the fun. And there’s plenty of fun to be had already–even more if they take my advice.

[​IMG]

6. More movies

Yes, they’ve got plenty of movies in Android Market now. 3000 just got added alone, and that’s a big deal by itself. But that’s only going to be so much effect against streaming video sources like Netflix, who pack roughly four times that or more in their standard lineup, and sites like Crackle and the like that pack movies, TV shows and original content. If Google can add on to those numbers in the Android Market, they’ll make themselves a significant player. Certainly Google has the market clout to get movies to play nice with Android Market, and if they use said clout effectively, they could be a big deal in the streaming video segment.

[​IMG]

5. Music

Considering that Apple is already looking to get a cloud music service to rival Amazon and Google, this would be a fine time for Google to ramp up its music services and get it in with Google TV. It’s not exactly intuitive to think of music being part of something like Google Music, but it’s really not that outlandish when you stop and think about it. After all, what is a television but a part of a home theater, often hooked into substantial speaker arrays. Taking advantage of home audio to provide a source of music that people are already using is an idea well worth considering.

[​IMG]

4. Games

Not exactly something you’d expect to see on a home theater system either, but considering the growing expansion of the home gaming market, why not offer right there on Google TV the newest big part in home theater? After all, we’ve seen the OnLive do a great job of providing large amounts of console games in streaming capability, so why not offer up a source of games in readily accessible fashion through Google TV, who’s already using streaming capability to bring some content to begin with? Controls could be an issue, but OnLive has developed some, and indeed, we’ve seen progress move in the direction of better remotes, so stepping up that game to improve gaming, especially to the extent that OnLive does the job, isn’t out of reach.

[​IMG]

3. eBooks

Some people just plain old don’t like the idea of television in general. They say it “rots your brain”–I’m sure you’ve all heard that from somewhere before. So then why not make ebook available for your television? Just scroll up and down the page with your remote, and read from across the room on an enormous page. You could even open up the possibility of interactive books, complete with video-based illustrations and such like Al Gore’s new iPad book, Our Choice.

[​IMG]

2. Tablet control

Google is synonymous with Android. And Android comes on a whole lot of tablets. So it’s not exactly a huge leap to connect t the two by allowing the tablet to serve as the remote control for the television functions. But that’s not just that simple, necessarily–you can also get some enhancement functions with this too. Enhancements like guide functions, scheduling, and of course, more information about the shows you’re watching. And you can get all that through your tablet while you’re watching Google TV. We’ve seen some moves in this direction already thanks to things like RedEye, but a more universal front would be welcome.

[​IMG]

1. Video chatting

And this is the big one, right here. Considering that Microsoft just bought Skype for a hefty sum of cash, video chatting suddenly becomes much more of a viable commercial property than previously considered. Considering that Google TV already depends on an internet connection, why not set up a program in which you can, like Skype, use your television as a giant video phone? It’s a very rational point to work in, and not that rough from an engineering standpoint, as much of it has already been done.

[​IMG]

So there you go, folks–seven good possibilities to add on with Google TV, to give it a little extra edge over its various competitors. How many of them will show up? No way to know that just yet. But they’re definitely some things that I’d like to see as far as Google TV goes. This could really be something if they tricked it out as fully as it could be, but we’ll have to keep an eye out to see just how far they go with it.

Read: The Top Seven Things Google TV Needs To Pack [Following The Conclusion Of The 2011 Google I/O Show, We Take A Look At Google TV, And Suggest Modifications Like Games And eBook Access To Give It An Edge] | TFTS