Quantcast

Top Google TV App?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by JohnDroid, Oct 5, 2010.

1. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

We don't really have a hard-set list at this time but based on the reviews and movies that are floating around and Google's website... I thought I'd ask the question.

What is your top App that exists today?
    What is your top App that you want to see created?

And by that I mean the one that you feel is the most important/useful.

2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

The Netfilx App will be the most popular, just as it is on the Roku box. I think Pandora will be the most popular non-video app, followed by the social networking 'junk' (FB/Twitter/etc.)

3. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

I would really like to see a Google Docs app.

• Like Like x 4
  4. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

I would like to see an app that aggregates all the free episodes found on the major networks websites.

p.s. Where are all the android developers if not posting here?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Esckey

Esckey New Member

Favorite is Netflix and Pandora.

Would like to see applications for Google Docs, Google Buzz, Evernote, Qik, and Justin TV.

It would really be nice to have Gmail automatically read my priority mail to me from my TV from the touch of a remote shortcut. As well as have the weather temperature and forecast for the day.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. alphawave7

Speaking of..lets' throw Google Voice into the mix!

7. Karen

Karen New Member

Why all the hoopla about apps? I am really clueless, but it sounds like an app only lets you do one thing - run that particular application (like access your queue on Netflix). Why wouldn't you just navigate to the site itself so you have the option of browsing the titles and adding to your queue?

Some have complained there is no Facebook app. Why not just type in the url or bookmark it?

I am obviously missing something in the definition of an app. Or does everyone just like those little desktop-icon-like boxes they can click (or poke on their phones)?

If it requires an app, I would like to see igoogle so I can see all my "stuff" at once - weather, portfolio, news, gmail, whatever.

When you have stopped laughing, could you just clue me in?

8. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Apps are designed for the interface. They use the screen better (if they're well designed) and use easier to get around controls. Having web access is nice, but it's not as tailored an experience as having an app designed for the way you're using the device.

• Like Like x 2
  9. alphawave7

/we need to get Karen an android phone! :D

Smiles, but not laughing! :p Apps are compact, function-specific applications that are typically well-designed and relatively bug-free (provided they don't attempt to do too much!). Insofar as GTV, they will allow not only some Android phone integration, but also imagine a case where we can get a la carte programming from HBO through its app, BBC through its app,etc, and not rely on ANY site/url/network/OTA/etc. Simple interface, simple nav to directly engage the content...that is supposed to be GTV's raison d'etre...apps are, imho, the best way to get there. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Karen

Karen New Member

So, an app makes the same experience more.. uh, pleasant both visually and navigation wise? It makes perfect sense on a tiny thing like a phone.

Apps, then, are the tool used to transition the same information from medium (the computer monitor) to small (the phone screen or a tablet) and now from medium and small to big (the TV screen)?

11. alphawave7

Here's another example of the power of apps. Roku's API calls them 'channels' (in deference to old-school television) but they are indeed like apps:
    Roku Channel Database
    The private ones are developed by USERS! The Youtube 'channel' on my Roku was developed by a fellow Roku forum member using Roku's API and toolkit, so technically it's not an official YT channel, but I still have access to my YT content. All the current content producers *could* create and market their very own app, and bypass the conventional means of carriage (like the Fox/cable dispute underway), and both the provider and users benefit: reduced costs/no middlemen for them, direct/a la carte for us. Users themselves can make apps to access content in the interim.

edit: additionally, an android app should work across hardware platforms (phone, revue, Sony,etc) so shrktanks issue:
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...cussion/171-nhl-center-ice-not-streaming.html
    would not be dependent on flash, plug-ins,etc. and his NHL Center Ice sub could come with an Android App version, playable on all the Android devices he has, and THEY would be responsible for correcting his error, not some third-party plug-in,etc. he has to hunt down to correct. GO SHARKS!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  12. Karen

Karen New Member

IF there is a website that does not stream properly over google tv, then it may not have an android app. If it DOES have an android app and it is not streaming properly, then the author/builder of the app would be responsible for fixing it. - That is what I got out of what you said.

If this is all true, then the title of this thread Top Google TV App? would apply to all those sites that we want to use that don't (or may not) currently have an app, and may not function optimally without one. OR there IS an app, just not on GTV yet. So there may currently be an app for Center Ice that shrktank can use on his phone, but it may not be loaded into GTV. Which is why everyone is clamoring for the 'Marketplace'.

If I got all that right (sorta), then the fog is starting to lift.

13. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

i would like it if netflix would integrate into the episodes guide like it does on my tivo. it shows availability on tv and payed on the internet, but it doesn't show if it's available to stream on netflix. i wonder if an updated tivo app would be able to do that even though it's outside of the app or if they'd have to do a full system update to make that happen.

14. alphawave7

Very close! Think of it as a liberation of the content, some of which can depend on the content producer. If they wish to 'play', they can create their own app, which should be carrier and hardware independent (running Android OS of various versions-one of Jobs' 'quibbles' is Android's perceived fragmentation among hardware, though he specifically means the phone environment), and they would support their app. Those that have not created their branded app could allow opensource devs to do it until they are ready (as is the case on Roku), and the dev would be responsible for support (..or not, it's free after all). Netflix, for example, is a 'premium' channel/app, in that your sub 'pays' for Netflix 'app' streaming on all these devices...that is because Netflix is ahead of the curve in how this content is going to be delivered going forward. Thankfully, Netflix carries a LOT of content..not just movies, and is working to grab more. Outliers are in danger if they keep procrastinating. :) Apps can also add productivity and tasks (like Google Voice, VOIP, interactive, etc), so it's not entirely video content. I *think* that is what Jim was actually looking for in starting the thread, but content apps interest me, too. :) I wouldn't complain if Angry Birds showed up on GTV, though! LOL!

15. Karen

Karen New Member

There's that fog again! I take it Angry Birds is a game, and not a bunch of ticked off women.

I want apps for everything! However, since I don't have my Revue yet, I can't possibly know what will and will not perform to my satisfaction.

I can't wait to see what the developers come up with. It will really be interesting to see how they shift from the viewpoint of "out and about" to "at home in your jammies from your easy chair". Pretty exciting stuff.

16. alphawave7

LOL! Well, sorta..birds are ticked the pigs are eating their eggs, and are out for serious revenge! :D

Yes..you are beginning to see the light wrt apps...potentially the Holy Grail. Imagine a DIY TV app if you're a DIY fan, but don't want the other bundled cable/sat crap, or a stock ticker that displays only your chosen stocks, etc. It IS exciting. :)

17. calemr

calemr New Member

This makes sense for stuff that is on the internet but there are a lot of "functions,programs,tools" whatever that help things run smooth or do cool things that aren't directly related to the web.

I.e. I want an app that automatically mutes live TV when those damn commercials (which I only deal with during sports basically, as they have been removed from my life do to a DVR) come on and maybe flips to a PIP with pandora playing. How bout that!

Commercials are so 90's

18. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

We need a developer like B-rad as he has taken the WD Media Player further than any other developer and made it what it is today. I hope that GTV becomes a great developers tool and implements wanted and needed features.

Time will surely tell.

19. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I would love to see Plex on GTV. Or an XBMC port would be really nice too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  20. sudheerreddy

sudheerreddy New Member

1. I want to see Good Media Player, which can play any type of Video ( Like VLC Player )
    2. NTFS Driver, for getting NTFS Formated External Hard Drive
    3. App for saving the file from Browser

Thanks
    Reddy