Quantcast

Today In Tech: Amazon Exaggerates Prime Offerings And Google Splits It's Stock

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 14, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

This is a funny article for me. I had warned Amazon Instant Videos of a backlash from their deceptive ad campaign in January when I first tried out the service via a trial Prime membership offer. But my concerns only dealt with the sites repeated boast of 'Unlimited streaming.' I tried to explain that users that were used to sites like Netflix were being led to think that a Prime membership meant that they would have access to all Amazon Instant Video content. But that aside, I never focused on how they listed those 17,000 movies and shows. I just knew that in my experience, I found much less media content then they ever boasted of.

A few news articles tried to link Netflix in the same boat. But they later retracted their story. What folks must realize is that even if Netflix boasted of higher numbers of movies and shows than were available, it is still a full subscription service. But Netflix wisely does not provide a cummulative number of their video content. Heck, it could get rather confusing as rights to some media content can be lost or gained within a very short period of time.

Remember, networks and studios don't give up their copyright protection to these internet services. They only agree to specific contractual terms that can be withdrawn at anytime a violation of a said contract is perceived. The rest is left up to the courts.

Carl

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012