Quantcast

To Buy or To Wait

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by artyzipp, Jan 18, 2013.

1. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

I am definitely eager to get my hands on a Google TV box, but I just don't know if now is the right time. I am looking to integrate with Tivo. I would love to have it with a DVD player, but that does not look like it will be happening any time soon. I would also like to have 2 usb inputs for the ability to have external storage and possibly using the Revue keyboard if the IR blaster setup is not ideal or I don't like the other remote. So, for those of you thinking of buying now too, are there set top boxes that seem to be worth it, or is it worth it to wait? I only ask because the reviews on Amazon are so mixed. It seems to be a love it or hate it, with some reviews suggesting some hardware issues (Sony NSZ-gp7, pulse or co-star). If anything I would lean towards the pulse, but I wish it had 2 USB inputs.

What do you all think?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you don't have Google TV, I say buy now, whichever box best suits your needs. Sony NSZ-GS7 or Hisense Pulse looks like the best options to me. I am happy with my first generation boxes and will wait to buy a new model.

3. pawdog

pawdog New Member

I don't think there's any thing to wait for. The Sony seems to have the fewest complaints, that's what I have and I really love it but it does have issues. Sometimes it does feel like a beta product.

Haven't faced anything that a reboot dosen't fix. As long as you realise this is really a hobbyist device you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk HD

4. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

I ended up getting the Sony one today. Saw the price dropped to $149. Best buy had an open box one and I got them to drop it to $109. Paid $20 for a four year warranty too, so with tax and the warranty I paid $145.

5. ChrisG8

I didn't know Best Buy had dropped the price to $150, I had a $50 coupon and decided to buy an NSZ-GS7 as well after seeing your post.

6. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Nice work...I noticed it first on Amazon and then Best Buy. I figured I would just go by Best Buy to check and see if they had an Open Box item. I am glad I did.

7. donc13

donc13 Member

Sony's online store is also currently selling it for $149 as is Amazon

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

8. frozengal

frozengal New Member

buy it now... i saw in amazon

9. so_cool_rohan

so_cool_rohan New Member

For $145 its a good buy.

10. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

11. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hey, Amazon's return policy gives ya many options. Why not try out the GTV devices making sure to get all the info from the sellers which Amazon will provide. Try out the devices and see if GTV is to yer liking. Make sure to keep any and all the orig packing material and instruction manuals in the same parcel boxes ya received them in. They will send ya an e-mail label which you can print out and schedule a pick up from whichever shipping service was chosen.

Ordering from Amazon can keep ya from the restocking fees most on-line stores are charging...

Carl

12. ChrisG8

No, I say never buy something just because you can burden the retailer with a return. Understand what you are buying ahead of time, it isn't like an automobile lot so you can test drive something and return it. A return policy is for items that don't work as advertised or are defective or are described improperly and is not intended to be a way to check things out at the retailer's expense, do research before purchasing. I have never returned an item to Amazon after hundreds of purchases although I would if it was defective or not as described. Google TV may have the highest return rate of any product sold on Amazon, I have no idea what people are expecting from this $100 digital media player/streamer. It is funny to me to read the reviews with complaints and claims that Google TV won't do this and won't do that yet I can each of things I purchased the device to do. There are certainly things I wish Google TV could do and can't but research means you know that before purchase.

Cost of returns are an enormous expense for Amazon and other retailers which must be passed on to the market.

13. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Chris

What are you talking about? Have you any idea how much money these distributors make? The requirements of returning any device ensures that it can be resold immediately. No reseller will ever complain that too many devices were returned. And the returns do NOT effect the ratings of the devices returned until the purchaser makes either a rating of the product or the seller. Like it or not this is the system we have. When I buy 15 products from Amazon, I expect a guarantee to return items that don't meet my needs. Amazon gains from my continued purchases. Sellers also gain from expanding there theater of activity.

Dude, these guys don't even know what the product is in many cases. Don't believe me? Try calling any 2nd party seller of GTV devices or TVs. Vizio is practically giving away units just to clear out their Customer Service commitment to that device. Every minute of a call to the Customer Service dept can accumulate to cost more money than if ya just returned it. If Vizio is replacing fully functional units just to appease new users without requiring many of them to send back the so called defective units, what do ya think is going on????

These devices are truly a crap shoot! You can buy a GTV of yer choice and eventually find that the software is defective as w/the Neo Prime. Or you could buy a unit that works great until ya try to get the dang remote to respond to the commands like the Hisense Pulse. Or ya could spend even more money on an LG TV only to realize that ya get a blacked out screen every few hours.

Return policies are our only way to recoup loses that in earlier times we were left to eat.

Dont ya'll get crazy w/all yer GTV enthusiasm...

Carl

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013