Quantcast

TiVo Wants To Become The Legal Version Of Aereo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 23, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine TiVo will obtain rights to distribute local channels over the internet. There has been discussion about what TiVo is planning with the Aereo acquisition at TiVo Community but I haven't been following the speculation. I just assumed TiVo is marketing the Roamio OTA to Aereo's customers, that DVR offers some of the most popular streaming services along with 4 tuners that can be used with an antenna to receive and record local channels over the air. Of course it is up to the customer to decide which streaming services to subscribe to and work out how to receive the local channels they want.

Aereo's service just distributed local network channel content over the internet without first obtaining the rights to do so, avoiding the costs to obtain the rights is what made the service profitable to offer. Pay TV companies have to pay for the rights to offer local channels to their customers and can add other channels that are profitable to make that work. Sony's Vue service has launched in a few cities and is something like a legal Aereo and more but it is expensive and I don't think it will catch on.

Sony attempts to redefine television with launch of PlayStation Vue