Quantcast

Tivo + Sony Google TV

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by o0adma0o, Oct 6, 2011.

1. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

I am currently using a Unsubscribed Tivo HD with the Sony Google TV. So far it is a great setup!

However i have not found out if its possible to use the Sony remote for the Tivo.. has anyone done this?

Also i wish the remote was backlit :(

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, it works perfectly fine with the Tivo albeit with limited command access. You just have to setup the Tivo as a set-top box.

3. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

Awesome news! Well im not sure how to do that.. i tried something in the settings but couldnt find the Tivo brand in the options so i gave up. Im gonna try and research it a bit here at work. But if you have time to tell me how or point me to where i can find instructions, ill appreciate it.

Thanks again!

EDIT: So after a lil research i found that i can use the IR blasters by putting one of them close to the sensor. Ill try it at home.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It was a little confusing when I ran through the set-top box wizard on the Sony Internet TV too. Especially, since my service provider is Time Warner and the list of compatible IR codes did not output any Tivo compatible signals. So, when you go though the video input configuration wizard, pick "Broadcast Digital" as your channel line provider. This will go through a sequence of IR codes which will contain the appropriate one for the Tivo interoperability. Once you have completed the device setup then you can go back and manually change associated channel line provider to the correct one.

5. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

Thanks man.. i have my setup working just like i want it! I assume theres no way to get show info w/an unsubscribed Tivo right? I thought i read somewhere that people could see show info with the Revue. When i press Info nothing happens and when i press guide the Tivo just tells me i have a closed account blah bla bla..

Your help has been greatly appreciated!!!

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The best you can do in your situation for show information is to use the Google TV overlay and check out the listings within the "What's On" widget.

7. babak147

babak147 New Member

I have the same problem, as per your advice I went back to settings and chose " digital broadcast" but non of the codes worked with my Tivo Premiere , Any other suggestions ?

8. dullgeek

dullgeek New Member

I have a TiVo HD set up with my Sony BD/GTV device - all audio via HDMI. Everything is working just fine, except one: when I'm watching something (either live tv or a recording) I lose all sound for a second when any of the tivo sound fx are played. I had this problem before I had GTV and I fixed it by setting Dolby Digital to PCM. I have tried both settings on the TiVo and I still have the problem.

I also tried tinkering with the sound on the GTV box and none of the settings there seem to resolve this issue either.

Any recommendations on how to get this to work? I really find the TiVo Sound FX to be useful, so I want to get them back. Thanks in advance.

9. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

Ive never had this issue. And i also have the TivoHD with the Sony Blu ray GTV. Have you tried using a different HDMI cable? Have you tried connecting the Tivo to a different HDMI por on the TV? Also, you may try reseting everything and see if that helps.

10. dullgeek

dullgeek New Member

When the TiVo was connected to the tv directly I had no problems with the hdmi cable being used, nor the port in the tv . I suppose it could be the hdmi cable that was included with the Sony.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

11. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

Just try different cables and ports.. if that doesnt work then restore the Google TV and maybe even the Tivo. I know for a fact its not an issue with the googleTV/TivoHD because i have the same setup with no issues. Port and cables can go bad overnight even if you never had a problem before.

Hope you are able to fix it.

12. japyon

japyon Member

Sorry to bring this thread back....
    Is there still no way to have Sony remote to change Tivo's channel?

I got Tivo HD with non comittment subscription ($12.99) only using OTA, and connecting to Sony Gtv box.
    As I read this thread, I picked "Broadcast Digital" for service provide, but still no luck.

We just have to wait for Sony to hopefully someday update it..?

Actually, I still have no recorded show in my Tivo yet (just got it set it up), would recorded shows will show up on "TV & MOVIE" section?

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

IR blaster code# 40618 should work with your TiVo

• Like Like x 2
  14. japyon

japyon Member

eferz : I'm apparently not very knowledgeble about TV thing... I tried to google IRblaster, but then still don't really understand what it does.
    If you could so kind point me where to look for the info and know what to do with IR blaster?

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Think of an IR Blaster as an invisible flashlight. The light exists in a spectrum which is not visible to the human eye. We use these lights in remotes controls to signal various audio video equipment to perform certain functions. Your Sony Google TV Blu-Ray player came with a cord which has two of these IR Blasters on either side of a Y-cable which terminates with a mini-stere jack. You have to plug this into the back of the Blu-Ray player into the jack which are labeled "IR". The IR Blasters should be positioned in front of the IR Sensor which you are trying to control. These act like mini-remote controls.

(Help Guide)

16. japyon

japyon Member

you are awsome, eferz, as always!
    I will try it...
    so there is setting in GTV menu for me to type in IR blaster code# 40618 then?

17. japyon

japyon Member

wait... don't answer it... i'm reading "help guide" you linked for me.... !!

18. japyon

japyon Member

thank you! the code worked!

• Like Like x 2
  19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Freddie1275

Freddie1275 New Member

wow i thought for sure the sony remote could not change tivos channels and get to the guide and all that until i saw this and just got it working. Tivo even said it could not be done when i called lol. now my question. when i use my google tv remote and search movies or whatever can it pick up my tivo stuff on my tivo dvr or no? And also since it had to be changed to digital broadcast and not my cable provider is my google tv guide and movie search ect.. going to be right and accurate or just the tivo guide ect..? thanks a bunch

• Like Like x 2