Quantcast

Tivo Resetting

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by artyzipp, Jan 29, 2013.

1. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

It is possible that my TiVo is the issue, but ever since the update to Primetime, my TiVo has been resetting/shutting off in the midst of use. Has anyone else seen this issue?

2. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

How do you all normally stop watching tv/using the Sony box? Do you just turn off the tv, letting tivo run, etc?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

A TiVo always runs, no other way to be able to record whatever program whenever and continue to update season passes for any changes. You can put it in standby, shutting off the video output but it is still running, the hard drive spinning and any operations needed will continue to be executed. The Google TV box is the same, it will be running all of the time unless unplugged.

As far as the TiVo sporadically rebooting, that is not typical and assuming it is under warranty, I would say contact TiVo and the customer service rep may have you run some diagnostics to try to figure out what is wrong. I have seen it, the cause was the hard drive each time, I have repaired some hard drives with manufacturer tools and replaced some in the 12.5 years I have been using TiVo. Primetime can't be causing the TiVo to reset, unless you are talking about something the Google TV box is doing and didn't mean the TiVo was rebooting.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Okay, it is actually going to a black screen, not really resetting. For example my wife is watching a recording, it plays for 15 seconds and goes black. She hits TV on the Sony remote and it comes back for a bit and then goes black again. Over and over. I am assuming this is probably the hdmi feed through the sony box?

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Set the GS7 to 720p & check out these “HDMI handshake”suggestions (including old hdmi cable replacement w/new “high speed cables”) & see if ithat helps.

6. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

thank you....My tv is only set to 720p on the TiVo, so that might be it on the Sony side. I also just plugged in a usb external hard drive last night. I will troubleshoot later

7. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

I set the sony to 720p and still saw the issue. So, I removed the external hard drive (last thing I added before the problem) and this seemed to solve it for now. I will wait and see

8. ChrisG8

Is the hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? Is it powered by USB or AC outlet?

9. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

It was NTFS and had the dual USB connection to power it.

10. ChrisG8

I don't know if these Google TV boxes can power USB hard drives, I have never tried it but I suspect that is the cause of the issue. Try using the TiVo to power the drive and see if fixes it.

11. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

I'll switch to a USB stick....was looking for a drive to store Mitty files. I did come across the blank tv screen again today, but this appears to be an issue with the GTV box. I had the TV App fail on me and the live feed would not come back. Resetting the device solved it. Do you all turn the GTV power off when you finish watching something? I know it does not power down per se, but the light on the front goes off.

12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I'd suggest all new "high speed cables" (for 2nd Gen GTV boxes) as the first step in debugging connection issues.

You could also change GS7 "Advanced video setting" to "Mode2",
    From Settings > Unit settings > Advanced video setting > Mode2

& give it a try.

good luck :)

13. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Do you have any category 2 cables you would recommend?

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I'm not a good shopper :) (got 'em from a retail store) there might be some better deals online.;)

Btw, did you get the chance to try "Mode2"? (From Settings > Unit settings > Advanced video setting > Mode2)

15. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

I have not tried the mode2 yet, I will later. I came home at lunch and I could not get the Sony box to wake up from standby. Had to reset it...I will need to watch my return window on this thing, which is too bad. When I am using it, I love it.