Quantcast

TiVo Question

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Swifty, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Swifty

Swifty New Member

Hi I just got the revue for christmas but the problem is in my college dorm I have a coaxial cable as my TV input, no box. This means I would only be able to use the internet part of the revue which seems kind of pointless.
    So I was thinking of buying the TiVo premium (unsubscribed) from ebay.
    Hook the coax to the TiVo, the TiVo to the revue, and then the revue to the tv, would that work?

I realize there were some questions asked similar to this before but I would really like to make sure this would work before spending $80 on a TiVo. There were also suggestions for other tuners but all of those seem to be discontinued and even more expensive
    Thanks

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It will work but if you don't want to subscribe the TiVo, you won't get guide or program information on the TiVo and TiVo will need to have the channel lineup available when you connect to the TiVo server. If the college just provides the local cable service, nothing different then I am sure TiVo will have the channel lineup. If you don't subscribe, you will have to be sure to purchase a TiVo without a subscription obligation. If you think you have a source for a new $80 TiVo Premiere with no subscription obligation, be careful and read any contracts you are agreeing to when purchasing the TiVo. The Premiere cost several times the amount TiVo receives from an $80 sale to manufacture and should only be sold with a contractual obligation for service.

Also there is no requirement to use a TV service of any kind with Google TV, just connect it to the broadband internet and connect the HDMI cable to your display and all internet Google TV functions will work fine. Of course that won't add any Google TV overlay to the TV service you are using.

3. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Could you buy an upgrade from the cable company? Generally the STB rentals from the cable company run $8-$10 per month.

4. pittsoccer33

pittsoccer33 New Member

do you have a pc nearby in the room, especially a desktop? You could install a tv tuner card in it and run windows media center.

even buying a nettop pc and a usb tuner for it would work out for you a lot better than an unsubscribed tivo.

a small pc like that could be to access other streaming services like Vudu and Hulu as well, and depending on what you buy could play back the codecs the Revue doesn't support. not to mention DVR capabilities.

5. Swifty

Swifty New Member

I have a laptop so I the tuner card thing won't work and I'm in a dorm so I don't pay for the cable so I can't upgrade it.
    I know my idea isn't the most ideal setup but I think it is the best I could think of.
    Do any of you guys know of another option that would be better than the unsubscribed Tivo? Keep in mind that I am a broke college student so money is tight ;)

6. pittsoccer33

pittsoccer33 New Member

do you have an xbox?

if so you could buy a silicon dust home run network tuner and a switch. you plug the xbox into the revue, and as long as your laptop is in your room you would be able to watch tv thru the xbox, thru the revue.

not a totally ideal situation, but could work cheaply with guide data.

is your cable high def? if not, a cheap used pentium 4 pc with a cheap tuner would work to get it into the revue,

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If money is tight, just do what I suggested, use your TV for cable viewing, switch to HDMI for Google TV. There is no requirement to run a TV source through Google TV. You can tell your Google TV what TV source you are using and still have some guide data and program information on Google TV.

8. whitenack

whitenack New Member

+1. You can always get a Tivo or some other solution later. You might find that switching to HDMI input for GTV is plenty convenient enough. If so, you haven't spent any money. If not, you can make that decision then and you haven't lost anything except time.