Quantcast

Tivo Premier + Costar - Can't get to Live TV from Tivo menus.

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by RandomBlue, May 13, 2013.

1. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

The Live TV button on the Costar remote simply switches to it's HDMI input. Pressing that button again when in the Tivo DVR menus (looking at recorded content for example) does nothing. Pressing the Menu button and then selecting "Live TV" does nothing as well (besides a beep from the Costar). I've tried changing one of the configurable buttons to "Live TV" as well and that acts the same way as accessing that command from the menu, doing nothing.

I have yet to find a way to get my Tivo to exit the menuing system (record content/etc...) as a single button press from the remote. The closest I've come is setting a configurable button to the DVR Guide and the pressing that button twice to open and close the Tivo guide. That's slow and unintuitive. I've also tried setting the DVR up as a Tivo Series 3, Tivo Premier and Tivo Premier XL in the Co-star settings and even did a factory wipe and went through guided setup again and nothing has helped.

Surely there is a way to do this that I'm missing?

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I would love to help you, but I cannot figure out where you went wrong ... My Tivo thread might help you a little bit http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ream-team-unbeatable-cord-cutters-utopia.html ... I have my Tivo Premirere Series 4 boxes working 1000% with my Co-Star remotes using the color buttons ... Do you have the Co-Star remote paired with your Tivo box ...?

3. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

I've gone over your thread and I've done everything listed there beyond the Slingbox stuff. Not sure what you mean about pairing the Costar remote with the Tivo box. Your thread doesn't mention it and the only pairing I'm aware of with Tivo is pairing their slide remotes. Everything works but getting to Live TV on the Tivo from the Tivo menu system. How do you have yours configured to do this?

4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have Comcast-Xfinity cable cards, pair it first (Tivio Premiere), next I set up my favorite channels HD list ... Also I set up my PrimeTime Guide ... At first I had the same problem you are having too, just program the channel list with with the color buttons, that will give you access back to live TV ....

5. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

That's how I have it set up currently as per my original post in this thread. This is very disappointing. I brought up this issue when the Costar first came out (it's poor control of Tivo, lack of a DVR button, etc...) and it's still not resolved. Guess I'll check back in another 6 months.

6. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

FYI, as I posted in another thread on the NSZ-GS7 forum, it's possible to program a button to return to LiveTV on that device and overall it works better with the Tivo as there is a dedicated DVR button that works properly. However, there are a couple of issues with HDMI CEC and powering on that Vizio Co-Star (and NSZ-GT1, the bluray GTV box) don't have.

Honestly, the NSZ-GT1 is an almost perfect GTV box except for the fact that it no longer gets updates and won't be getting the new JB version of GTV. Speed is fine, controller works well, works perfectly with my Tivo and supports DTS & AC3 fully. *sigh*

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Blue do have a app on your PC for your Tivo call "StreamBaby" .... Thanks for the DTS and AC3 info ...

8. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

I've used StreamBaby before to stream to the Tivo. I don't need it in this case, I have Plex set up with audio transcoding when needed and it works great. I don't have any problems with the apps or audio on the Co-Star (or NSZ-GT7) just how the Co-Star controls the Tivo and how the NSZ-GS7 works with HDMI-CEC.

I also bought a Asus Cube to check out and that didn't even make it to the TV for a trial run. No DVR button the remote, horrible launcher and no Amazon Instant Video app.

I'm just frustrated that the NSZ-GT1 first gen GTV box worked so well with my setup and everyone one of the 2nd gen boxes have at least one major issue for me. Well, for my wife and kid anyway. :) I can work around the issues but they are less forgiving. "Why can't you just hook the white one back up?" (the NSZ-GT1) *sigh*

9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm just shocked at what you are saying about the Cube ...!

10. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

Unfortunate but it's true. There is no Amazon Instant Video app, you have to use the browser like gen 1 boxes. It's not available in the play store for the device, which is a deal breaker for me on a new box. See this image (the first Google TV is my NSZ-GT1 and the Cube should be obvious):

[​IMG]

I'm also surprised that neither the Co-Star or Cube have DVR buttons on the remote. Seems like anyone buying a media streamer for the living room will already have a DVR either through their cable/satellite provider or a Tivo.

The launcher it comes with is neat looking but in practical use is poor. Shortcuts are split into several categories (around 8 or so) on a spinning cube. So when you hit home you have to select your category, hit right and then pick a shortcut to launch. It's not very intuitive compared to the launchers from other GTV providers. My wife would hate using it.

I think I'll try replacing the launcher on the Cube with open launcher and give it a shot to see how well it works with the Tivo. It's likely that the Amazon Instant Video incompatibility is just a tweak that needs to be made to the app on Amazon's side to indicate the device is supported. Originally I didn't notice the color/programmable buttons on the Cube remote as those are on the trackpad, so I'll try programming those for the Tivo and see how it goes.

However, even if the programmable buttons work they're not exactly a great solution as then people have to remember what color does what instead of properly labelled buttons like the gen 1 GTV boxes had.