Quantcast

Tivo Minus TV: Testing The Cable Box For Cord-Cutters (Tivo Roamio OTA review)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 26, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This is a review for the Tivo Roamio OTA:

TiVo minus TV: testing the cable box for cord cutters | The Verge (click for full article)

by Chris Ziegler - August 25, 2014

-- “There is an important service update available for your TiVo box. This update should take less than an hour, and the DVR will restart twice.”

Oh, this is bringing back memories! The notorious TiVo boot sequence. Turning on a TiVo for the first time is invariably a negative experience, because you are thrust into a Kafkaesque universe where each completed update or boot sequence is immediately greeted by another. Minutes, sometimes hours can pass before you can actually use the box for the first time. It is, in fact, the only thing I own that has ever made a cable technician audibly groan with dread upon entering my home. “These things take forever to boot,” he said, flopping onto my living room floor in surrender. He wasn’t wrong.

Such was my first interaction with the new TiVo Roamio OTA, a stripped-down version of the $199 Roamio DVR that removes the CableCARD slot for cord-cutters who want to get all their programming from streaming services and over-the-air networks alone. It’s a glossy black box, about halfway between the size of a Roku and a stereo amp, that acts as your one-stop shop for television and includes a 500GB hard drive for 75 hours of HD recording capacity. In theory, it’s the dream: you get support for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, and Hulu, plus all the sports and first-run broadcast shows you can’t find anywhere else. And you pay less than $50 for it, which is less than a Roku 3, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire TV. But — as with all TiVos — you’ll have to overcome a weird patchwork of user interfaces and a $14.99 monthly fee.

See more at: TiVo minus TV: testing the cable box for cord cutters | The Verge

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No lifetime option for this $50 box unfortunately, only monthly fees. Since it must cost around $200 to make, I can understand the logic and it makes getting started very inexpensive. I have been using TiVo since 2000 and never paid a penny of monthly fees because that is a nuisance I don't want.

3. CatfishRivers

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/t...ke-cutting-the-cable-cord-plausible.html?_r=0 (click for full article & video)

New Roku and TiVo Devices Make Cutting the Cable Cord Plausible

By MOLLY WOOD - SEPT. 3, 2014

Time to Cut the Cable Cord

Molly Wood reviews new devices from Roku and TiVo that offer Internet-enabled alternatives to costly cable TV plans.

CUTTING the cable television cord has always sounded nicer than it really is.

Get out from under that ugly cable bill by watching movies and television shows streamed over the Internet straight to your TV? Gladly. Deal with a tangle of tricky technology and give up a few programs that are on the personal must-watch list? No thanks.

But I recently tested some promising new devices — two Roku smart televisions and a specialized TiVo made specifically for cord-cutters — that make life without cable possible and even easy. After years of complex Internet-to-TV setups and multiple streaming boxes, it seems the technology has finally caught up with the dream.

See more at: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/t...ke-cutting-the-cable-cord-plausible.html?_r=0

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. CatfishRivers

Best Cord Cutter Device: TiVo Roamio vs. TiVo Roamio OTA | Heavy.com (click for full article)

Summary:

The new TiVo Roamio OTA is cheaper than the older, entry-level TiVo Roamio set top box. But does cheaper mean better? We compare these two devices for cord cutters who want to enjoy over-the-air (OTA) TV programming, but ditch their expensive cable package.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As far as the TiVo Roamio OTA, I don't think the TiVo Stream will work with it, at least as of the last post from TiVo regarding the matter that is my understanding. It may be subject to change but I wouldn't buy a TiVo Roamio OTA to use with Android without understanding fully what it is capable of.

6. CatfishRivers

That's a good point. I'm moving the post about TiVo for Android over to the thread about the TiVo Roamio (link is below). Thanks....

TiVo’s New DVRs Stream TV To Your iOS Device When You’re Not Home | Google TV - Android TV Forums

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014