Quantcast

TiVo Co-Founders About To Release A New TV Streaming Box Called QPlay

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

TiVo co-founders about to release new TV streaming box called QPlay ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - Dec. 16, 2013

-- TiVo co-founders Michael Ramsay and Jim Barton are about to release a new TV companion device that aims to combine video discovery and curation with smart TV functionality.

Dave Zatz recently spotted an FCC filing for the QPlay-branded device a few days ago, which suggests that the release is imminent. Zatz also found a bunch of other clues, and I've learned in the last few days that some of the services QPlay is working with include Netflix and Hulu Plus.

Here's what we know about QPlay:

Read more at: http://gigaom.com/2013/12/16/tivo-co-founders-about-to-release-new-tv-streaming-box-called-qplay/

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think this will be a pretty good box but whether or not it will be better than Roku is an important question because if it isn't, it is probably DOA. Roku is doing really well in the marketplace right now and something almost as good or just as good won't cut it.

3. CatfishRivers

TiVo co-founders gear up for launch of their QPlay TV streamer ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - Feb. 24, 2014

-- TiVo co-founders Michael Ramsay and Jim Barton are going to release their new QPlay video streamer any day now. The duo's company, dubbed Invisioneer, hasn't officially revealed its plans yet. But it looks as if it is gearing up for an early adopter beta test, and as part of these efforts just published a demo video of the QPlay product as well as other interesting documents online.

The demo video, which appeared on a subsection of QPlay's website a few days ago, shows us how QPlay is going to work, as well as how the company is going to pitch the product: At the center of the offering is a red TV streaming box that looks a bit like an external hard drive, and connects via HDMI to a consumer's TV. QPlay comes without a remote control instead using a dedicated iPad app that the company has been testing for some time.

See more at: http://gigaom.com/2014/02/24/tivo-co-founders-gear-up-for-launch-of-their-qplay-tv-streamer/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. ChrisG8

Ha, a dedicated iPad app to control QPlay. I am not interested.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. ChrisG8

Well that video makes it look really easy, there is just about anything you might want to watch available in the cloud, your friends put it there I guess and you only need a single click with an iPad to watch it. He is going to drop cable and use QPlay. About the only sports he will be watching will be his second cousin's kindergarten age son's tee-ball game shot with an iPhone last week.

7. CatfishRivers

8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

At best an App like this might help erode YouTube's dominance. Seems to me like this should already be possible with RSS feeds, though.

9. ChrisG8

If it is available and free, I will look at it, I didn't really even understand what it is. It does sound like it will work a lot like the Google TV Frequency app which I use a lot but I am not sure of that.

10. CatfishRivers

11. ChrisG8