Quantcast

Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by Boomn4x4, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Hello,

I just received a Sony Set top box for Christmas. For starters, I am quite happy with it as it brings a great new level of home media to my television. However, one thing I am disappointed with is the level of documentation that is available to learn what all google tv is capable of. For all that I think Google TV can do... I really haven't found an opportunity to learn it all. Hence my post here.

I was hoping that some of you would be willing to share some of the more useful tips and tricks that can be done with the system. What are somethings that may not be obvious to new users? What are some tweeks and customization that are most helpful. What apps are most usable? What are somethings that you believe most users don't take advantage of, or don't fully understand the benefits of.

Thank you for your replies.

2. Shink

Shink New Member

The official GoogleTV blog just posted a couple days ago. Unfortunately I can't post links or I would directly link you.

googletv.blogspot.com/2011/12/tips-tricks-for-google-tv-pro.html

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Feedback of software to the respective Android developers. That's probably the most substantial thing that many Google TV users don't take advantage of in the Android platform. There are so many software and developers out there. Many of them want the input of how to make their software better or even to explain how to use it. But, I find people are reluctant in providing any feedback. Probably because they're so used to being patronized by the larger software companies.

• Like Like x 2
  4. hawkmankt

hawkmankt New Member

I just got one of these for Xmas myself. I have to say that I cannot understand how people could not be all over this product. Google TV is the bomb. I was blown away by the video quality streaming right off a website in HD through the Chrome browser.

Great job Google.

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

That is a failure on the behalf of the respective developers. "End Users" are just that.... they aren't software consultants, nor should they be expected to act as such. End users are reluctant because they don't feel its their responsibility to do so, granted, they will benefit from it, it isn't their responsibility nonetheless.

If a developer wants that data (and rightfully so they should), they need come up with reasonable methods of collecting it without imposing that responsibility on the user.

As a software developer myself (not for any mobile platforms), I understand that in order to be successful, especially in the freelance market.... you have to out-think your competitors. Sitting on your thumbs waiting for feedback, isn't going to get you far.

6. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

my favorite trick right know is using a asus router 520g ( with tomato teddy bear version firmware on it ) working with gtvbox player . the tomato firmware supports samba share of the usb port on the asus and the gtvbox app acts as a file manger/player . i pull a lot of past season tv shows from the web and load them to the drive attached to my router for playback by the wife ( nas style ) .
    next up is pogoplug's new app. , its basically the same thing, web streaming files i store on a 20 dollar pogoplug that has multiple drives plugged into it by way of the internet ( as well as from the cloud storage on their website ) . for the same ( cloud storage ) i use google music , skydrive and dropbox and box.net ( now box.com ) ... all streamed to my gtv.
    example : during xmas morning breakfast the family ( 25+ free loaders ) got to see a family picture album played back on my 50 " plasma with a few stroke of the keys .
    later the rugrats youtubed on the tv , then went on to netflixing some shows , but when they could not find a specific show i quickly pulled down a copy ( filesonic ) in mkv 720p to the usb drive plugged into my asus 520g and que'd it up for instant playback .
    as you can tell networking was my first concern , since i have immediate access to audio and video i torrent or download while sleeping ....

learning to side load apps as well as sourcing them is a must . you will find that here .. you have 122 + posts to read thru of app experimenting .. read all the posts from "efrez" he seems to have the best handle on this stuff ....
    but learn the in/outs of the options in the menu portion of the firmware, its important to navigate settings and switches .

app entertainment wise i like redux and clicker and anything with movie previews , i use netflix and amazon prime account for video stuff and for fun "TOOLS/ UTILITIES / PRODUCUCTIVITY:" section..
    i dont chat tweet email shop bank or game in front of the tv , but there are apps for that by the butt-loads . my interest lies video content collating apps . mega-upload people are working a app for data mining direct stream formats from the web , (if the censors and big biz dont shut us down ) ..

forgot the project : free tv link , everyone misses it . online stuff
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/297-project-free-tv.html

hopefully my rant will inspire others to chime in with a few experiences...;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. credo

credo New Member

It is because no one chose to advertise it. Word of mouth might be fine for smartphones, but that obviously doesn't cut it for the HDTV industry. GTV is awesome. But, awesome doesn't sell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

8. credo

credo New Member

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk