Quantcast

Timers that go to the channel you choose

Discussion in 'Google TV Feature Wish Lists' started by AustenEyre, Nov 23, 2011.

1. AustenEyre

AustenEyre New Member

I want timers to be programmed to open the right channel. That way, if I'm watching something else, it will switch to the thing I planned to watch ahead of time.

• Like Like x 2
  2. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

That's an awesome idea! I've wanted that for my Directv receiver for a long time. Consider it being worked on ;-).

3. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

I have a first version of this app working, but the person who asked for it is not responding to my request for a tester. Anyone else out there interested in testing this app for me?

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Yes I am in for beta testing! How about on top of timers you can program a DVR to change channels and start/stop recordings when users are not at home and will miss a live show?

And then a lean back app that automatically cues up and plays recordings one after another if possible? Those of us without Direct TV would need to re-enter the app after each show to go to the next program and the app would automatically fade to the background one it sends out the command to play a program. It would need to keep track of where on the list recorded programs are located ie play the first program recorded or the 10th on the list now... and then when I renter the app play the 15th program next etc... . This may be a separate app from the one you are working as they may not work as one?

This could be revolutionary or just too much to ask?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

i'll send you a PM with the APK in a bit, but I'm trying to understand your new idea. You have a DVR? but can't schedule with the DVR?

For your second idea are you referring to a playlist from the network?

I'm afraid I'm not quite getting the point of you other idea. If you can share some more info I'll think on it.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It sounds like he wants you to create an app that functions like Enhanced DVR / Advance Intergration without having an actual DVR compatible with it.

7. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

Well I may be able to add a "Record" When you switch to the channel, I was supprised that the GTV said it couldn't do this with DirectTV, but it's just so much nicer to manage in the DVR, I'm trying to envision a case when you would want to do this. But that said I'' take a look. The playlist feature mentioned I really don't get unless your trying to get continuous playback from your DVR which doesn't support it. Again DirecTV supports continuous playback so I never thought of this. This would probably need to be done with some key sequencing, knowing how long a program is. This might be easier to do from my GTV remote app since I don't think the GTV SDK allows for sending raw key codes as the Remote API does. I was planning on adding the scheduling app to my remote so we'll see.

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

Yes the DVR recordings playback feature idea is to get continuous playback from my DVR which doesn't support it! A lean back experience for the DVR I pre-select say 5 programs to watch and they would then play one after another without further user input except pause/skipping commercials.

Yes the idea would be to add a record now option when switching to a channel for when a user is away from the GTV and does not want to miss a favourite tv show.

Another idea I had today was to create an app that would cause my DVR to skip ahead 2 to 3 mins for ever single press of the 30sec skip button to attempt to obtain fewer button presses while skipping commercals. Getting lazy here...

Advanced integration of a DVR within GTV is exactly what I envision! Going even further a new look for the EPG within GTV would be awesome which then was cabaple of sending out commands to the DVR via an IR blaster. This would be to me cracking it out of the ball park for GTV!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

What DVR do do you have? The part I'm not envisioning is how does the GTV get the list of programs?

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the episode of The Big Bang Theory when a old high school bullly named, Jimmy Speckerman, tries to get Leonard Hofstadter to help him with his idea of creating glasses that would make any movie you watch 3D. Only when Leonard asks Jimmy to elaborate more about the idea, Jimmy suggests that's the part he where needs the help.

So, here's my suggestion, "Quantum entanglement". lol. Good luck programming THAT in java. *giggle*

11. chopper

chopper Active Member

If GTV can't get/use a list of programs there is a work around for this. Fav. TV shows are on the same channel/day/time/duration weekly. So skip the guide and use the timmer to control the DVR via IR blaster to record. Have an option to name the programs within the app if you like. Now if the only recordings on your DRV were set up in this manner it would be possible to use the IR blaster to play one program after another with a lean back experience. I have a Motorolla DCT3416 and this program would be different for other the various DVR's. Can this be done? Probably, yet it way be deemed more work than it's worth. I for one would at least enjoy the auto channel change idea and the playing back of recorded video one after another with perhaps a skip to the next show option. Users could just keep on scheduling recordings on their DVR's firmware to make things easier.

It's a new automated way to watch TV that were talking about here. Set it and forget it or lean back for TV if you will. Can it be done with an app or 2 and an IR blaster? Can our DVR's be fooled into changing channels automatically? Can our recordings be set up to play automatically one after another with a lean back experience. Can we fool our DVR's into skipping ahead 3min for every single press of the 30sec skip button when a commercial airs?

This is the vision!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  12. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

Well changing channels is not a problem, the app I sent you should deal with that. Pressing record when it changes channel may be doable, I need to look, it's definitely doable from a phone app just not sure if I can emulate remote codes from GTV itself. The Playlist feature is far more complex because you also have to deal with deleting records and if the DVR gets out of sync because you recorded something directly or deleted it directly then it's gonna be unhappy. It would also mean configuring your DVR menu structure so that the app would know how to navigate the DVR playlist.

I will look at the ability to send remote codes. If it can't be done with the DVR then it can defintely be done with my remote control app for the phone which I will be moving the channel scheduler too anyway. We'll see how it goes. First I'm looking for feedback on the channel scheduler app.

13. chopper

chopper Active Member

Got my new revue and will be loading your app and testing this weekend. Stay tuned as I may have some questions.

14. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

SO it turns out that a GTV app running on the GTV cannot directly invoke key commands(like record), even though a paired android device running a remote control app can. I had tried to install my remote control app(posted over at gtvhacker) a while back, but the issue there is that the pairing code disapears immediately upon bringing up any UI to enter the code on the device. So there was a bit of a catch 22, the app would work if you could pair it. Well I spent some time this weekend playing with this and finally got my remote app to pair to the google tv it's installed on so now my app once paired can send remote codes.

I had already planned on integrating the scheduling into the remote app, but now they seem like an even better fit, even though you probably would never actually use the remote interface for anything. Pairing is a bit cumbersome at the moment, but I am working on an easier way now that I know it can be done.

Also this same feature can lead to some other "scripted" based activities that run either on device or on a remote android device.

• Like Like x 2
  15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found a work around. My buddies have found it very annoying that apps running on Google TV only allows (under the normal circumstances) to send activity based URI's to change the channel. The only way to get the correct URI is querying the channel provider and it doesn't even work if the user is using Enhanced DVR / Advance Integration. I guess pairing itself with the anyremote protocol is a viable yet unintuitive work around. It is a shame they don't just offer APIs for direct access to at least key IR activities, let alone raw access to the IR blasters.

16. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

Yeah the channel URI mechanism is annoying. They should have done a simple permission based api to send key events from an onboard app.

17. 2WYCE

2WYCE New Member

hey, i just found this thread so i apologize in advance for reviving it. while using the tv buddy app on my revue, i saw the Bulls game was going to air in 15 min. so i tried to select the broadcast i wanted to watch with hopes that i could have the channel change to that broadcast at the scheduled time. well, it didnt do that, i did a search for an app that would, and i ended up here. i dont know if you have done anything else with your app or not, but either way, how can i get a copy of it? thanks much.

18. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

The timer app sounds awesome. Can I get it too? happy to test and report.

19. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Yeh, count me in too.

While we on the discussion of new features, I have prolly a crazy/stupid question. Would it be difficult/impossible to create DVR app? i.e. An app that will record to the GTV's (or networked) Hard drive.