Quantcast

Thoughts on buying the Hisense Pulse?

Discussion in 'Hisense Pulse' started by saeba, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The Sony is more expensive, but I think A/V enthusiasts and Revue-owners end up appreciating it more than the other options. Since you need Vudu, you'd need to wait to see how that shakes out. My impression is Sony left some things out of the release because they didn't work right. Whether that's due to something Sony has to fix, or something VuDu can fix ... who knows?

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Saeba

I know ya wanna love that device. What's not to love? But these new units need a full term support system. At least a years worth. 90 days support is not enough! If I had kept that device, I'd say, 4 months would be the beginning of sorrows on that unit. Listen to those that have gone before ya. They love GTV for the most part. Or at least the idea of it. They as I want this platform to succeed, but not at our expense.

Just saying...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  3. saeba

saeba Active Member

Thanks to everyone for their advice! The feedback on the stability and reliability of the Hisense and Vizio products was very useful and I ended up purchasing the Sony NSZ-GS7 ($166.59 from Amazon). Revue5's chart (Sony NSZ-GS7 vs Co-Star vs Revue vs Roku3 vs Apple TV3) was also a huge help. It made me realize that I could utilize Sony Video Unlimited instead of Vudu for high-quality audio/video content.

So the Sony met my key requirements:
    - Amazon Prime Video playback
    - High quality audio/video store (Sony Unlimited)
    - IR Blaster (for use with Logitech K700 keyboard)
    - Optional remote with microphone (should I require it)

I've had the new Sony for a bit and have been very happy with it. I use it a lot to surf the web and do find that easier with the Logitech Keyboard. NOTE: This is a big reason I got the GTV to begin with - my PS3 had such a crappy browser. I wouldn't even consider a solution like the Roku which doesn't have one. The Sony remote isn't bad either, I just find flipping it over to go from the touchpad to the keyboard a bit cumbersome. I've been watching "Justified" via Amazon Prime - great series! And I signed up for M-GO to take advantage of their $0.99 movies. Plex just works better and better with each new release and between ViMu and Plex, I can play any and all the content I have on my PC.

So thanks for helping me make the right decision!

• Like Like x 2
  4. martin73

martin73 New Member

Am also disappointed with the conversion to 60Hz with the Vizio Co-Star. I can only switch to 50Hz when I start ViMu player and press the 'P' button. When I exit ViMu it stays at 50Hz so it improves the playback of my 50Hz STB output.
    So it seems to be possible to switch the refresh rate but it's just not implemented in the settings..
    Hope the GTV jelly bean platform will offer some advanced settings.

5. MAKuttner

MAKuttner New Member

I've got a Pulse and a Sony NSZ-GS7, and I like the Sony box a lot more, for the following reasons:

1. The sony remote is a much more solid build and feels better in my hand. The Pulse's keyboard also quit on me, though the buttons on the front are working, oddly...
    2. The Sony box was easier to set up. Though the setup process is identical (given that it's the GTV software that does the setup), there were problems in getting the Pulse to configure to my TV and my digital tuner that required a number of tries. The Sony set up quickly.
    3. I actually use the optical audio out port on the Sony. The Pulse doesn't have one.

That said, the Pulse got an OS update recently, so maybe a few things have been fixed. The Sony remains my favourite. It does crash every now and then, but after I unplug it and plug it back in, I'm good for an extended time.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

In your opinion are the crashes and freeze-ups 1) hardware related? or 2) firmware related? or 3) related to bugs in the GTV OS? I believe the freeze-ups and crashes occur on all GTV devices - but maybe on some more than others? I am interested in your opinion because you are a developer for GTV. Thanks.....

* Oh one more question: There is an ongoing debate in this forum on whether a workaround for Flash will be functional on GTV after GTV receives the Jellybean update. Currently none of the Flash workarounds work with GTV because Flash is baked into the GTV OS. (GTV currently has Flash 10.2 - and after the Jellybean update Flash will be totally purged from the GTV browser).

However there are currently Flash workarounds for Jellybean on android devices - and some think these will work on GTV (after the GTV Jellybean update). Several have mentioned they think the Flash workarounds fill function on GTV Jellybean because the Jellybean update will include NDK support.

What are your thoughts/opinions about this? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  7. MAKuttner

MAKuttner New Member

The crashes seem to be mainly related to some acrobatics I'm getting the box to do when I'm testing the app we're developing. Nothing too strenuous - mostly just switching from TV mode to the browser and loading pages. However, when I do it a number of times over an extended period, I do experience the occasional crash. Likely it is a memory issue, more related to the development we're doing. Whether this is related to the OS, the browser, or to the content being loaded in the browser, I can't really say for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MAKuttner

MAKuttner New Member

I'm updating my tepid review of the Pulse to just a straight out bad one. The box keeps blanking out my TV feed, though it will allow me to see other apps on screen. Therefore, I have to unplug the thing and reboot a couple of times a day in order to just watch TV through the pass-through. Also, I've been developing an app for GTV, and when I try to bring up my cable box's on-screen guide, the Pulse launches the Google guide. Neither my NSZ unit nor my Logitech one do these things. I'm seriously considering hooking my Revue back up as it's more reliable than the Pulse.

Why did I buy a Pulse, you may ask? I wanted another GTV device to test on, and although I was hearing good things about the Co-Star, it doesn't come with an IR Blaster. If I had it to do again, however, I'd get the Vizio and use the trick that uses its remote to do that job...

9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Call Hisense Pulse Support and explain the problem & see if they'll let ya return it. Then you can try the Vizio Co-Star. Ya might want to let em know you are using the devices for App development & ya need a stable unit for testing.

Good Luck...

Carl

• Like Like x 2