Quantcast

Thoughts on buying the Hisense Pulse?

Discussion in 'Hisense Pulse' started by saeba, Mar 10, 2013.

1. saeba

saeba Active Member

Hi,

I currently own a Sony NSZ-GT1 first generation Google TV and I've been pretty happy with it. I use ViMu and Plex to play content from my Windows PC, use PlayOn to play Hulu and ESPN3 content, Crunchyroll app to watch anime and Chrome browser to surf the web using the Logitech K700 keyboard.

The two major apps that are missing are Vudu and Amazon Prime. Given that these are coming with the V3 update to the Hisense Pulse, I was considering upgrading to this device once this update occurs (supposedly any day now?). The Hisense seems to have some reported advantages:
    • faster speed
    • microphone in the remote (enabled with v3 update)
    • uses IR blaster
    • supports AC3 (vs Vizio which only supports AC3 passthru?)

Any feedback from current owners of the Hisense vs other Google TV platforms?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There is very little discussion here about the Hisense Pulse and most owners that have shown up to discuss it haven't been happy. The IR control from the box with IR blasters is a big advantage compared to the Vizio Co-Star in my opinion and of course if you want the voice control, a mic in the remote is important. I don't believe it is any faster, it uses the same Marvell Armada 1500 chip. I looked at all the devices and purchased the Sony NSZ-GS7 because I believe it is better and two USB ports and optical audio output are needed in 2 of 3 systems in the house, I only have HDMI audio processing in one system.

I don't know much about how well the Hisense model controls other devices so if that is important, I would suggest taking a look at that aspect, it might be lacking compared to the Sony NSZ-GT1.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I definitely would NOT recommend the Hisense Pulse right now. The device was extremely unstable when I tested it out. The remote was truly an abomination as far as ease of use is concerned. The support was vertually non-existent and unlike the 1st gen devices the free support was limited to 60 days. The Premium service is set at an absurd price when ya think about the level of expertise you'd expect for paid support. The techs will listen to ya while you try and work out yer problem. Both the Hisense Pulse & the Netgear NeoPrime TV were consumer disasters on an epic scale.

The Hisense dropped my cable line-up at will. Imagine inputting 200 channels, getting the quick-guide up & running, only to come back a few hours later and find all yer channels deleted. But the worse part was once I tried to get my lineup back channels in my orig lineup were not there anymore. Each time more channels were missing from the lineup.

I could only laugh at the weirdness of these new & improved Google TVs. The Vizio was the best of the new units, but I would hardly recommend that device to any user of the 1st gen devices. The different in terms of ease of use & stability of the older devices is just too great a leap no matter what upgrades they add to these new devices.

Save yerself the bother and just wait for the Amazon App update on yer current device...

JMHO

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

I don't think that happens this lifetime but I sure hope I am wrong. I have seen nothing that makes me believe the first gen boxes will get the Amazon Instant Video App.

5. saeba

saeba Active Member

Yep. I don't think that (GTV v3 update for Sony NSZ-GT1) will happen either.

As to the stability of the Hisense - I appreciate the feedback Carlszone. So many folks hate GoogleTV across all the hardware that it's very hard to determine if their issues are related to their specific hardware or to the platform in general. I admit that it takes work to leverage the full capabilities of GTV, but I've been through that and like the result. It's been much easier, in my opinion, than the last 2 years of trying to use my PS3 for similar purposes.

Will the NSZ-GS7 get the V3 update soon and if so, do you think they'll start selling it packaged with their new remote with the Mic (SG-MR7U)? I suppose that would be a good alternative to the Hisense in terms of capabilities, though more expensive, and I've had a good experience with my GT1. The Sony website says that the mic remote will be in stock next week (12-March) so that is a hint that the v3 update to use it is coming as well?

As to IR control, I have my TiVo Premiere XL4 and Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver that I'd like to control. It's hard to say if the Hisense would or not. I've been unable to find any info on the web - they don't offer any detailed documentation on their website.

I was going to look at the Roku to add the missing functionality, but don't know that I really want to add another platform in the mix. I've currently just moved my PS3 back into my home theater room and use it for Vudu and Amazon.

Thanks!

6. ChrisG8

Yes, the NSZ-GS7 will get the update but I don't think it will ever be packaged with the NSG-MR7U remote. I don't know when the MR7U remote will be available, it was the remote that was going to be included with the NSZ-GP9, the box I wanted which was cancelled, I am sure do to poor sales for both the NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7. The race to the bottom for low prices is great if all you want is a cheap Google TV box but not very good if you want the best devices manufactured.

I am also a happy NSZ-GT1 users and think most complaints come from an inability to operate Google TV in general, not because a specific model is a bad piece of hardware compared to the others. Of course first on the list is make sure the chosen model does have all features wanted, the three I own are the only models released to date I would buy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Listen to all the good advice these fellows give for they have had hands on experience.I started out with the Revue and still have it operating on another TV wireless without any problems.Now in the living room I have the Sony GS7 wired and loving it.Sony is getting all the bugs out of the upgrade before releasing it to the public.Good move on their part.When the Revue finally dies I'll order another Sony GS7 off of amazon.com for they have it $33 cheaper than anyone else.

8. fahrenheit

fahrenheit New Member

I'm fairly disappointed that this device can't pass through whatever video format it is fed. Got a 24p capable blu-ray player and capable TV? Too bad. The Pulse converts it to 60Hz.
    Live in a PAL territory and have a local 50Hz STB? Too bad. Pulse converts it. Want choose between 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 colorspace? Nope. No choice.
    I understand the desire to keep things simple, but there is no problem in placing these additional settings into a sub menu and simply calling it 'Advanced'.

I'm waiting and hoping for complete kernel replacements for the 2nd gen google tv devices. My Pulse will remain rooted and on the launch firmware until such time.
    I just hope I haven't made the wrong decision and that the Sony GS7 will be getting all the modding love and the Pulse will be just a lemon without support from both the manufacturer and community alike.

9. Carlszone

Hi

Just so ya know. And this you can take to the bank, I wanted to like all 3 of the new devices I tried. A Vizio tech advised me to go to my TV manufacturer because they obviously have my codes in the TV backwards. This was in response to my complaint that the remote while in the TV setup was sending the volume command to my channel buttons instead of the volume buttons. And despite the fact I had already told him I had successfully set my Logitech Revue on the TV with the same codes. I told him I was not in the mood to be an unpaid beta tester for any device I purchase and to just send me to the return dept.

Look, as far as getting the Amazon App goes on older devices, while no one can ever say for sure, one thing I know. Everytime a new upgrade was announced folks specutlated that we would be left out. If yer getting voice and yer device & can use the Able Remote App, then that gives ya a hint that more is coming. The GS7 and GT1(?) are too popular units to be left out so soon. A while back folks started groaning about how we wouldn't get the Quick Guide. Logitech got it before Vizio. (lol) Advanced devices?

Hmm...

Carl

10. saeba

saeba Active Member

By the way... here's the latest on the Sony store regarding the voice remote (NSG-MR7U) - In Stock Estimated ship date: 03/12/2013

$nsgmr7u.jpg

11. Carlszone

Here's an example of how quirky these new units are. Just fired up the Vizio Co-Star. I noticed my launchers were gone as I defaulted to the Vizio home screen. Then realized all my apps are gone. My channel line up went poof! Somewhere between this morning when I was busy trying to setup my computer the unit did a full factory reset.

Where's my return label...

Carl

12. Scarpad

Scarpad New Member

My Hisense went belly up, it stopped sending video output to the tv, tried rebooting and resetting to no avail, the device does run very hot, maybe it fried itself, I've also gone back to my Apple TV and picked up a new Slim PS3 and using that with Plex server. I liked Google TV When it worked. But it acted like a beta prodect

• Like Like x 4
  13. Carlszone

I really am sorry to hear that, Scarpad. I really think this company doesn't doesn't know the difference between beta testers & consumers. I have felt so much like a tester of these new devices than a user of a finished product. What happened to R & D comprehensive testing before introducing these devices into the wild???

Normally I would gloat, but this saddens me...

Carl

14. saeba

saeba Active Member

So consensus from this discussion seems to be that the Sony NSZ-GS7 is the way to go due to reliability issues with Vizio and Hisense.... however, initial feedback on Sony's new V3 update is that it's incomplete! They do add Amazon Prime and voice remote support, but don't add Vudu :-(!

Also, reported word from Sony is that they will not changing the NSZ-GS7 to come with the voice remote... it's a $50 option to buy... so $169 (base unit) + $50 (voice remote).

What a mess!

15. Carlszone

Yeah, but a bigger mess is to go through all the new boxes and not find one I could stick with. Whats wrong w/using the Able Remote? I can't use it because I don't own a Smart Phone.

Just curious...

Carl

16. saeba

saeba Active Member

I currently have a Harmony One remote that I use for starting up the home theater and then use the Logitech keyboard for the GTV. I really don't see the smartphone replacing the keyboard, so it'd just be yet another control unit. Integration not multiplication ;-)!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Carlszone

Lol! Well said...

18. Carlszone

You could pick one of the newer models that have the best ratings & try it out. I know folks say that ya shouldn't because blah, blah, blah...

Look, if these companies are sending out units in the shape I found them, then they deserve to be tested first! A well polished finished product grabs ya by the nads & dasn't let ya go. Not one gave me the warm fuzzy of both the Logitech Revue & the Sony NSZ-GS7. Just remember to keep all packing material & all manuals & peripherals esp. w/the Vizio. That company hates returns for refunds w/a passion.

And Vizio is the worst culprit. How dare they send out units w/known hardware defects! After the first few all the units should have gone back to Quality Assurance. If any company is responsible for GTV's drop in sales it is VIZIO! Longterm users who already have an afinity for GTV are more patient than the noob. Send em one bad unit and they are out of here.

Hell, damn the topedoes, test all of em! Keep the one ya like best.

But if it sucks...

Carl

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  19. Carlszone

Just to give ya an idea of how the little things add up quickly for 1st gen users on the new devices. Take a gander at the @ key on yer remote. Now look up the keys on the newer models. Not one has a dedicated @ key. This is one of the most used symbols on the internet! And look where the FN key is positioned compared to yer remote. Imagine trying to hit FN + @ w/yer thumbs as texting is supposed to work.

If ya find a solution to your dilemma lemme know...

Good Luck!

Carl

20. saeba

saeba Active Member

I suspect I'll end up retaining the Logitech keyboard regardless of what solution I go with. I actually bought the Logitech Revue first, but the Logitech registration system was down the entire weekend that I purchased it and I was unable to set it up. So I returned it and got the Sony GT1. Glad I got the Sony, but I really missed the keyboard on the Logitech and finally purchased one to use with the Sony. So I have been through "try and buy" decisions on GTV before ;-)!

For now, I'm going to wait and see what the Hisense GTV3 update really is given that Vizio and Sony provided different sets of capabilities in theirs (e.g., no Vudu for Sony). Once all three have GTV3 updates, I'll reconsider. For the price and the specs, I keep wanting to like the Hisense.