Quantcast

Thinking about switching from Sony to Logitech... advice?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Fuzzman88, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Fuzzman88

Fuzzman88 New Member

First off I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched this morning but I have to work today an my window of opportunity is going to close very soon (to return the Sony and get a Logitech). I currently have a 32 inch Sony GTV and really like the GTV part of it. The TV leaves a little to be desired though (response time, no vga port).

What I want to know is what the difference is between GTV on the Revue and on the Sony devices. With a new TV, I know I could use either a Revue or get the Sony Blu-Ray box, but the Sony is about 2x the price and I don't care about Blu-Ray (my media is all digital).

So what's your advice? With a new TV (probably an Insignia) will I be happier with the Sony Blu-Ray box or a Revue (remember price is definitely a factor)?

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

Logitech Pros:
    * Video Camera for Video conferencing support
    * Bigger keyboard
    * Sony is missing A, B, C, D keys to control STB
    * It can learn IR codes
    * It has Logitech Harmony smarts
    * Optional small keyboard with back light
    * Can be controlled with Harmony remote (it has IR receiver)
    * It costs less

Sony Pros:
    * Access to Sony's Quriosity media store
    * smaller keyboard if you prefer that
    * Only the Blu-ray Player model has support for DTS
    * It has more storage for apps you install from the Market
    * a little bit faster processor but we are talking very little no noticeable difference.
    * Built in Blu-ray player
    * Logitech has said that they lost $100 Million on GTV and they aren't for now interested in future GTV devices so the Revue has questionable future updates support

And there are some differences in the types of video files that can be streamed on either device....neither has a complete list of supported media.

I still prefer the Logitech Revue myself for now. In 2012 there will probably be new manufactures of GTV devices announced and then I'll probably sell my Logitech Revue to switch to maybe Samsung or who knows who else will be making GTV devices...maybe a new Motorola STB with built in GTV.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I honestly like the Revue better for the fact that you have the ability to customize and control the layout of the IR commands. Even though Google TV can only control three other types of devices; Set-top box, AV Receiver, and Television, the Revue allows me the flexibility about seven separate devices. Of course, I had to teach the necessary commands of four separate remotes but in the I can control my entertainment center with just the keyboard.

The problem Sony's Google TV implementation is lack of customization. Basically, if they do not have compatible codes for your remote then you're pretty much stuck using the original remote. Even if they have your remote, it is possible certain buttons aren't properly represented. So you would still be stuck with the OEM remote. If you report the problem to Sony's Technical support, their coined response is to the effect that it may be implemented in an up coming patch. I've been waiting over six months for the IR codes for the Xbox 360. Using the Roku is kind of annoying because in order to go "Home" menu, I have to click GTV Menu > Device Control > Home. While the key on the remote for "Guide" does absolutely nothing. It's frustrating after having so much control with the Logitech Revue.

Also, the Logitech Revue is the only Google TV device which supports video conferencing. Logitech included driver support and software support to enable this functionality. That's why you can plug in the TV Cam for Google TV and use the included Logitech ViD HD to video conference with anyone that has the Logitech ViD software for their PC, Macs, or other Revues. I recently finished my Christmas shopping because of this. The Logitech video conferencing platform is the least expensive high definition platform on the market today. Neither Sony implementations have this support.

The Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player has advantages, since Sony added the codecs necessary to play DVD and Blu-Rays you'll be able to DTS which none of the other Google TV boxes can do, not even the Sony televisions. It also has a faster processor and more storage space; 1.66 Ghz CE4170 with 8GB where as the Logitech Revue has 1.2Ghz CE4150 and 5GB (1+4GB) storage. Though while running Google TV 1.0 between the Revue and the Sony Internet TV, I didn't notice any difference in speed. Another nice thing about the Sony line is that they haven't announced that it is discontinued. So, at least you can expect a little more development support from it.

4. Fuzzman88

Fuzzman88 New Member

Thanks for the input guys. Now that I've had a couple more hours to search I can see this question has definitely been beaten to death already (eferz just copies/pastes his response)...

If a mod takes a look at this thread please feel free to delete it. No reason to clutter the board.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I do. That's because I find that people who don't use search before posting are type whom typically don't look at links either. It's like the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

6. Fuzzman88

Fuzzman88 New Member

I definitely did search before posting (and I also typically read links) but this was a weird circumstance. I just didn't have time to search thoroughly enough.

My 30 day window to return the Sony TV closed yesterday and I worked/commuted about 14 hours. On top of that the building I work in has no cell signal and no Internet access. So I had to have an answer waiting for me when I got off work so I could run to Best Buy as soon as I got home.

I wasn't trying to complain about the copy/paste; it gave me what I wanted. I was just trying to make a joke about how pointless my thread turned out to be.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sorry about being so defensive. I had a recent "heated discussion" about me copying and pasting some of my responses. The idea that cross-posting is typically considered bad form on forums, and I agree to an extent when it comes to question and announcements. However, my point is that if people pose questions without searching for existing answers, there's no reason I shouldn't provide the same answer to the same question. Essentially, the guy wanted me to recompose my answers so each time I explain the answer it is different. I think the guy had nothing better to do then to entertain himself by pushing people's buttons.