Quantcast

Think I've had enough..Switching to Apple TV.

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by jdillinger, Jun 19, 2013.

1. jdillinger

jdillinger New Member

I think I've had enough with Co-Star. I'm sure there are many things I will miss about this product, but it has been a slow, laggy, and disappointing experience for me. With the announcement of AppleTV getting HBOGO and WatchESPN, I think I'm going to make the switch.

Does anyone here have apple tv?

Would anyone like to convince me to stay with the co-star and tell me why?

Thank you for all the help I've received on this forum You ares a great well of information and I appreciate your guidance very much.

2. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

As they keep adding content, I have had the same thoughts... altho I really like the idea of having a box where I can run apps too... I don't think aTV really has that? Admittedly, GTv has underperformed in this area, at least until GTV moves to JB (and the NDK).

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have only played with Apple TV, don't own it, it works well but is the most limited of the streaming boxes I have used. If iTunes is how you want to access content, it is of course the best option. I believe the HBOGo issue with Google TV will be fixed although when would just be a guess. ESPN3, the only WatchESPN content I can access since I don't have a pay TV subscription has been working fine on Google TV for me.

I much prefer Google TV to Roku and much prefer Roku to Apple TV but I don't have any of the lagging or slow loading issues with Google TV I see some complain about.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

ESPN3 works some of the time for some GTV users. But I wouldn't exactly desribe it as "streamlined" on GTV. Also it's been reported that the other WatchESPN channels (that require log-in with TV provider) such as ESPN2 don't work with GTV.

IMO because the Jellybean update will be rolling out relatively soon - I don't expect a fix for the HBO GO issue. HBO GO changed to a different variant of Flash for DRM reasons. That decision has been made. No one knows if the current GTV hardware would be capable of running the new Flash variant - provided Google/Adobe would push out some kind of software fix BEFORE the Jellybean update.

After the Jellybean update Flash will be purged altogether from the GTV browser. So ultimately GTV will need an HBO GO app to access HBO GO. So it's anybodies guess if HBO makes an HBO GO app for GTV - although if I was a betting man I wouldn't bet on it.

So bottom line if HBO GO and WatchESPN are of prime importance to you I would go with Apple TV. If you like the other GTV features then it's a decision that you'll need to make.

5. SolutionsEtc

SolutionsEtc Member

I dunno. Since moving to an Android phone last year, I like the ability to push YouTube vids and other URLs from my phone to the Co-Star. I also like the PIP, and the pass thru concept. And I very much like having my Android notifications popup on my TV. I will really miss these things if I were to go back to Apple TV.

Google's new Play Music All Access service is something I have subscribed to (but not sure for how long as Apple's new iTunes Radio is essentially free).

But it is no secret the Apple TV just works better. The audio out from the Co-Star sucks. Not sure if that is the stream from Google Play Music or the box itself, but I don't have this problem when streaming through the Apple TV (or Airport Express). Apple's AirPlay works very well, but it is limited and kludgy with an Android phone (and MiraCast is just another box with unfinished software that barely works so I am ignoring it).

As Apple has intended, if you're using iThingies it is a no brainer. Android devices, not so much. And if you use a Mac (I do), Mavericks' debut this Fall includes some second screen options that are pretty compelling (that alone may very well have me hooking up the Apple TV again).

While I have no thoughts of replacing my phone anytime soon, the Nexus 7 has been a bit of a disappointment. If I swap that out for an iPad, I think I may go back to Apple TV as well.

Or maybe pass the Apple TV through the Co-Star. (c;

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I own the Sony GS7 GTV, an Apple TV, and a Roku.

The Roku is retired, there's nothing it did that I miss.

The Apple TV is a nice product, and I like how it can learn from an IR remote, but I rarely used it except for NBA League Pass which doesn't have an App on the Sony. Heck, I use Air Play but usually direct it to the GTV since I don't have to switch inputs devices. No apps, no keyboard, no web browser, no voice mic, no DLNA/uPnP media player, no support for non-Apple eco-system and the list of things it can't do goes on and on ... but if the things it does do are what you need. It's fine.

7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

8. jdillinger

jdillinger New Member

Thanks everyone for your input and I appreciate all of them. I've some how managed Amazon to accept a full refund on the co-star even though it was gifted to me in late february. I'll take on Apple TV and see how far it can take me. Who knows, I might be coming back to GTV when they have their kinks worked out. Until next time my friends.

9. booster944

booster944 New Member

Jail broken apple TV 2 is much smoother than my costar and has option to run xbmc... Atv3 has not been jail broken, so you can't just stream your own videos like avi or mkv files from a media server

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Sure you can. There are many ways. Use m4v/mp4 instead of mkv.I really don't see why many users keep away from mp4. If you don't want to do that then just run PlexConnect on a Mac/PC/NAS and you get Plex on the ATV3. No need to jailbreak. Finally, there is Airplay and if you own a Synology NAS just send your videos to the ATV3 using their DS Video app which is available for both Android and IOS.

There really is no need for a jailbreak and there is certainly no reason to stick with the ATV2 just to run XBMC poorly.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

11. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

12. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

13. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

PlexConnect is more of a hack, than a solution. Personally, I prefer ViMu to Plex, but I probably don't have my media library setup optimally for it.

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

15. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

PlexConnect works really well, surprisingly well in fact. ViMu is indeed very good but it doesn't integrate well with other apps, external playing, etc ... I have gotten to really like Mijuu and you can use ViMu as an external player but then resume doesn't work.

The nice thing about Plex is that it keeps track of what you have watched across platforms.

Philip

16. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

PlayOn is quite neat but I have never found it reliable. Half the time my PlayOn clients can't find the server. Quite like PlayLater. I really want to like PlayOn as the idea is great. It just hasn't been reliable for me. I keep tweaking it so perhaps one day ...

Philip

17. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

All Google TV devices immediately find the PlayOn server for me. I also like PlayLater a lot. I am not sure whether to use ViMu or the PlayOn app for playback, I keep on switching but for the main purpose, simple playback of Hulu, both work really well. I like PlayLater because Hulu has a short window for some programs. As far as all of the other channels in addition to Hulu I can access with PlayOn, I never seem to use any of them.

18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

It turns out I was using an older version of PlayOn. Odd as I had auto upgrade checking on. In any case I downloaded the latest version and it's working great.

PlayLater is really excellent.

Philip