Quantcast

Things are getting worse! NSX-46

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by West Sac, May 31, 2011.

1. West Sac

West Sac New Member

We purchased the NSX-46GT1 from Best Buy on November 25th 2010 and got Dish HD receiver on the same day. Everything seemed great until the 2nd day when there was an update and we could no longer control the Dish VIP612 receiver. I called Sony and the call was so miserable that I gave up and figured i would call back later. At the end of December I called and ended up talking with an engineer in San Diego that said they would send a new TV if trying a new remote and IR blaster did not fix the issue. Remote an IR blaster showed up but did not fix the issue. I figured i would live with the issue for now as we are happy with the unit and do not mind using the Dish remote.

After the update we received this weekend i went and tried to see if the Dish receiver could be seen now (as i do after every update) and it worked! But only for a few minutes-

I was able to see a list of TV shows and browse by folder but could not navigate to the channel if I selected it. I am going off of memory now since this setting has disappeared but I got to a select that tested the IR blaster (that is now gone) and there were different settings and a test function, none of the settings worked.

Now the interface does not recognize the Dish receiver and i have reset the TV and tried a few times with and can never change the channel when in the configuration tool where it asked to change the channel up or down to see if the code is correct. So i gave up again and figured some day this feature will work.

Today i received a call from the wife saying that the TV was broke. When I got home I found out that is was not broke but but when you power up it now takes you to a "video/component" screen where you have to press input on the Sony remote and pick HDMI 1, then we are able to watch TV.

Our problem is that grandparents sit with our child a couple days a week and I would rather buy a new TV than have to step them through the steps of finding the Sony remote and pressing the right buttons. I still get calls on how to find the DVR menu on the Dish as well as how to navigate to find recorded shows so i am unwilling to add another step.

So does anyone know how to make this a TV again or is it out of the question to want to press the on/off button and expect to watch TV?

FYI- talking to Sony is as disappointing as driving 3 days to Wally World to find they are closed for repairs! They did say that they will send me a new unit but could not tell me how to get it back to the way it was.

Thanks for any advice!

R

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

When I use my dish dvr with my google tv, I have it set to use the dish dvr as default so when I press the tv key on the google remote , it tunes to the right channel. That being said I still have to press the BD/EXT button on the remote to the left of the tv power button to turn the dish box on and off.

Once I press the BD/EXT button on the remote , then the remote is paired to the dish receiver I have and works normally .

3. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey West Sac, is your IR blaster pointed at the Dish box Remote Sensor. On the front of every box with a Remote there is a Sensor. Your IR should be on top of your box pointing down to the Sensor on the front.

4. Dubs22

Dubs22 New Member

I am also having a similiar issue with my Sony Blue Ray IR Blaster, but with a Comcast box. It was working fine and then just stopped. I know I need to call support, but have been avoiding it like the plague. I am going to take Lucas70s advise and may try to point directly at the Comcast box sensor.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Yep, I forgot to say this, but I do have one of those IR blaster cables plugged in to my Google TV and used a piece of tape to connect it to the top right of the dish dvr box where I thought the sensor was, like lucas710 said to do. The sensor is made so you can put it at the right place the way it is made. I just used tape in my situation but I think the sensors come with a adhesive white peel off label for just such occasions but was not really sure . So that is why I used tape.

6. West Sac

West Sac New Member

Thanks for the advice-

Placing the IR blaster ends in front of the receiver eyes is what tech support asked me to do about ten times but never asked me to put them right on top of the sensors. Just tried it and it did not work.

I can live without the Dish working with the Google interface for now, just want the TV to land on HDMI 1 and display whatever is on Dish when it is turned on out I hit the TV button on the Sony remote. As of now it is defaulting to a video/component screen. If anyone nows how to get the TV to startup and default to the Dish receiver like it use to let me know.

For the record i really like the quality of the TV and the features that we are able to use like Netflix and the web and we want to get another one. Is Sony's GTV solution the only ones that have issues like this?

Thanks,

R

7. West Sac

West Sac New Member

I fixed it, kind of. I have a WII hooked up and figured that it was worth a shot to unplug it. Now the unit defaults to Dish, strange that it worked before the update last weekend with the WII plugged in but whatever it is functioning now.

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Go to your home page and choose applications, then choose settings - select video input - then select configured devices and see if Dish Yourlocation is on the list - yourlocation being usually the closest big city that dish can match to your location - highlight Dish Yourlocation and see if it is set to the default tv device - if not you should be able to change it once you select it.

Your default device will have a tv icon next to it when you do the above. You should try plugging your WII back in and try the above to see if its set to the default device. Usually the last device added to the google tv will be made the default device meaning more then likely the last thing you added to your google tv was the WII.

Doing the things I said in the first paragraph will allow you to set the dish box as the default instead if you want as well as allow you to disconnect the dish box to remove it from your tv in case you want to set the dish box up from scratch again that will also make it the default device until you add some other component or device.

9. Dubs22

Dubs22 New Member

My issue with my comcast DVR was resovled last night. I unstacked my sony blue ray GTV and comcast dvr. I placed them side by side. I put one IR blaster end under each device and then tried to program the comcast dvr with IR blaster remote and it worked. I am still have issues programming my Samsung Soundbar. I will have to do a little more research with that tonight.