Quantcast

The YouTube Web Site No Longer Works With My Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 16, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

As of today none of the videos from the regular full YouTube web site will play with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue. The circle just spins around but the videos never start. I was able to determine why. YouTube is attempting to play all the videos in HTML5 (instead of Flash). The Chrome browser is so outdated on GTV devices running Honeycomb OS - that it won't support the HTML5 that YouTube currently uses.

I've tried changing my user agent to no avail. I've researched online and as far as I can tell there is currently no way to set Flash as the default on YouTube. (I believe there is a Chrome Extension that can do this - however GTV doesn't support Chrome extensions). If somebody comes up with a solution or workaround please post.

In the meantime I've come across a web site that plays YouTube videos in Flash:

YouRepeated.com

It works good with my Logitech Revue - however there are no playlists and subscription feeds. I still like it better than the inferior YouTube Leanback-Lite web site. If anybody comes across alternatives to the YouTube web site that work with the GTV Chrome browser please post.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Doesn't work for me using a Sony NSZ-GT1, didn't try anything special to fix it. The old app still works, at least with the videos I have been playing recently.

3. CatfishRivers

It used to work previously because the YouTube web site had an "auto-detect" mechanism that detected I had an "old" browser - and it automatically set Flash as the default. So the auto-detect mechanism has either gone haywire or Google did it on purpose. I know Google wants to phase out Flash.

4. ChrisG8

I would vote for inadvertent breakage, unintended and as a result of changes to YouTube, hopefully it will be fixed.

5. CatfishRivers

I hope you're right ChrisG8. But as of now we really have no way of knowing if Google still has a Flash version of their YouTube web site available. Since there is apparently no "toggle switch" to play videos in Flash - I can't think of a way to test this for sure on GTV devices.

There might be a way to test with your Chromebox to see if Flash is still available on YouTube. There is supposed to be a Chrome extension that will allow the Chrome browser to play YouTube videos in Flash.

Here is the link to that Chrome extension in the Chrome store:

Disable Youtube HTML5 Player - Chrome Web Store

I noticed that this Chrome Extension was last updated almost 1 year ago - so I dunno if it still works. As I mentioned GTV doesn't support Chrome extensions - but Chromebox does.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  6. CatfishRivers

Here is another alternative YouTube web site that works good with my Logitech Revue:

YouTube Repeater - Automatically Play Videos in a Loop

Now for a little trick -:) If you are on the YouTube web site and cannot watch a video because YouTube is forcing the videos in HTML5 - all you need to do is change part of the URL of the video from youtube.com/ to youtuberepeater.com/ (the rest of the URL stays the same). The video then plays great in Flash from the YouTubeRepeater player. This procedure works with my Logitech Revue.

7. ChrisG8

I just went to YouTube using my browser, Android Authority YouTube channel and I played a video.

8. CatfishRivers

ChrisG8 what device did you use to play that video? It doesn't work on my Logitech Revue. I'm "forced" to view it with HTML5. You can tell if a video is HTML5 by clicking the settings icon at the bottom of the video and if you see a speed control that means the video is being served up in HTML5. If the video is in Flash you won't see the speed control.

That video you posted (is in HTML5) so it should work on any "modern browser" - such as with a PC or Chromebox. But Honeycomb GTV devices are stuck on Chrome 11 and they don't appear to be able to handle YouTube's new HTML5 format. I should say at least my Logitech Revue doesn't. The only device I have to personally test with is my Logitech Revue.

9. ChrisG8

I am playing it right now using a Sony NSZ-GT1, played at 720p, but I don't see any indication in settings of HTML5 or Flash, I assume HTML5. After you started this thread, I tried to play a YouTube video with the same Sony GTV without success but I don't recall the video to test now.

10. ChrisG8

I just went under the hood in browser settings, I am just using the default user agent which is what I almost always use. I have a couple of working Logitech Revues in the closet but none hooked up right now, the GT1 is a better box but I have no idea how the browser would work where the Revue browser won't work unless it is just the fact the GT1 has a little more horsepower and can start playback.

11. CatfishRivers

One other thing that might make a difference is that my Revue is only on the 3.1 update - not the 3.2 update that most GTV users with Honeycomb OS are on. I know that the 3.2 update included an improvement for Chrome. I wouldn't think that would make a difference - but who knows. I've actually come to like the alternate YouTube repeater web sites better anyway. I've found them to be more stable and less cluttered with ads and junk.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  12. CatfishRivers

When I go to the YouTube HTML5 (information) web page with my Logitech Revue, this is what it tells me about YouTube HTML5 compatibility with the Chrome browser on my Revue (See Below). As you can see on my Logitech Revue "HTMLVideoElement" and "H.264 "are supported, however there are four other formats that aren't supported.

YouTube

YouTube HTML5 Video Player

Many YouTube videos will play using HTML5 in supported browsers. You can request that the HTML5 player be used if your browser doesn't use it by default.

If you encounter any problems, right-click on the player and choose "report playback issue", or let us know on the user support forums. Your feedback will help us continue to improve the player.

What does this browser support?
    HTMLVideoElement - YES
    H.264 - YES
    WebM VP8 - NO
    Media Source Extensions - NO
    MSE & H.264 - NO
    MSE & WebM VP9 - NO

The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.
    Supported Browsers
    Many browsers support both the video element in HTML5 and either the H.264 video codec or the WebM format. These include:

Google Chrome
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Firefox
    Opera
    Apple Safari

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  13. CatfishRivers

I sent in the following report to "Google Feedback" and also the "YouTube help forum":

** Hi. Recently the videos on the YouTube web site stopped working with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue Google TV device. Previously it had been working good (when YouTube detected I had an old GTV Chrome 11 browser and thus YouTube served up the videos in Flash). However recently the YouTube videos are being served up in HTML5 and that doesn't work with the outdated Google TV Chrome 11 browser. The circle just spins around but the video never starts. There doesn't seem to be any way to set the videos to play in Flash. **

Google Feedback

Google Groups

14. ChrisG8

I am surprised someone else using a Revue hasn't responded here to know their results. If the issue is as a result of your Revue being stuck on 3.1, Revues running the current version don't have the issue, there is really nothing we can expect Google to do. I have played a few more YouTube videos with my current OS GT1 and those videos played.

15. CatfishRivers

You mentioned that many videos don't work for you also. I'm sure if I spent all day trying videos on YouTube I might be able to find one out of a hundred that plays such as you have apparently done. If you go to YouTube now and attempt to play 10 random videos - how many can you truthfully admit that played correctly? I have spoken to somebody that owns a GT1 and he said most of the videos don't work. He doesn't consider the current situation an acceptable solution for YouTube that is worth using.

*ChrisG8 wrote (from post #2 in this thread): "Doesn't work for me using a Sony NSZ-GT1, didn't try anything special to fix it. The old app still works, at least with the videos I have been playing recently."

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  16. ChrisG8

I only tried a single video that day, it didn't work, I then checked the app to see if it still worked and it did. I didn't come back to use the browser until I responded above, everything I have tried since has worked but I can't say that means most or all videos will play.

I don't recall which video I had tried using the browser that didn't play the first test. That might have been a result of network issues or something other, I do use YouTube with Google TV fairly often but almost always use the app.

17. guest

guest Active Member

If you will post the YouTube URL's/links that don't work, I will test them on my Revue. YouTube is not a site that I visit very often.

18. CatfishRivers

I've tried about 20 videos on YouTube with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) - and none of them have worked. If you would - can you please just go to the YouTube web site with your Revue and pick any 5 videos at random and then report back. Thanks.

19. CatfishRivers

OK thanks for responding.

20. guest

guest Active Member

There are two variants of YouTube. I checked both. When you press the home button on the Revue keyboard, you get an information pop-up on the bottom of the screen: app notifications/All Apps/Playstore/YouTube, etc. I clicked YouTube and clicked a random video. That resulted in the random streaming of short videos. The five that I viewed without issue were: Fear of the Walking Dead/Comedy Central's Jon Stewart talking about the S. Carolina shooting/the Pitbull video "Fun"/the James Corden Show with two people singing in an automobile; the woman had a tattoo on her arm/and a video titled "one man can change the world". All played perfectly.

Next I did a Google search for YouTube and clicked YouTube . I played a 5 minute video of Dick Cavett interviewing Jerry Lewis "Jerry bitches about movie-business tyrants". That played flawlessly, too. I can go back and play another four if you want from the website, if that was what you were wanting.

You've owned a Revue long enough to know that when viewing videos, it's often necessary to delete the cookies and cache to avoid "stuttering" and other issues.

For the past few days, I've been watching C-Span's Washington Journal every morning. It's about a 50-minute program. After that Program, if I click another video on C-Span, I run into problems - unless I delete cookies and cache first and hit alt/ctrl/del. Are you doing those steps when you watch multiple videos for more than an hour?