Quantcast

The WDTV Play Tops Apple and Roku In Our First Streaming Media Player Ratings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 25, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The WD TV Play tops Apple and Roku in our first streaming media player Ratings (click for full article)

by James K. Willcox - June 24, 2013

"If you don't have an Internet-connected television or Blu-ray player but would still like access to the growing amount of content available online, a separate streaming media player is an easy, inexpensive solution. While Apple TV and Roku are the most popular-and certainly worthy-choices, our first-ever streaming media player Ratings revealed a surprising top-rated model: The WD TV Play, from Western Digital."

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's rated 3.2 stars on Amazon - same as the Vizio Co-Star but slightly below the Sony NSZ-GS7 (rated 3.4 on Amazon). It is rated well below the new Roku box and Apple TV. Since the WD TV Play box is a pure streaming box I think it compares more directly with those 2 boxes.

IMO I would trust the average of the 83 customer reviews on Amazon (the 3.2 rating) as opposed to one tester that tested it at Consumer Reports. Even though supposedly the Consumer Reports tester is a "professional" (whatever that means). There are a lot of subjective values in reviews - which is why I would prefer to go with the rating that takes into account 83 reviews.

It's also currently selling right in the same general range as the Sony NSZ-GS7 on the Amazon Electronics Bestsellers chart (approximately #1000).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I considered a WDTV box late last year but decided on Roku as a companion for Google TV. The Roku 3 high ratings are as a result of ease of use, quick access to a lot of content, and nice UI, Roku just works really well. As far as I can tell, the Roku 3 doesn't add any new content compared to the Roku 2 but the processor is much better and it has a remote with headphone jack and dual band Wi-Fi.

The WDTV boxes are good, I didn't really consider the WDTV Play, it is a lower end model but I am sure it works well.