Quantcast

The USB Ports...

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by odsamuels, Jan 11, 2012.

1. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Greetings,

Is there any reason to believe that the USB Ports on the Sony Internet TV are limited to just doing storage? Is it conceivable that it could be used for anything else like a webcam with mic, etc.? Has anyone successfully attached anything else to it?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Universal Serial Bus.... emphasis on Universal.

The only thing limiting a USB port is the software that's behind it. The communications protocol is ... well .... universal. There is no reason someone couldn't write an application that could control a toaster on Google TV through the USB port.

Simply plugging a web can in wont do anything unless an application is written to actually do something with it. But it is certainly conceivable that some one could do it.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Currently the GTV operating system does not support cameras or microphones. And because GTV also doesn't support native android code - I think this would mean that Sony would more than likely have to build an app for it themselves as a value add-on to the hardware. Or a developer would have to go through Sony to do it? This is what Logitech did with the Revue. The Revue webcam is a value-add on to the hardware designed by Logitech.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually the USB ports on Google TV are not limited to just storage. You can also use various USB HID input devices as well, such as keyboards and mice. However, the limitation of the hardware compatibility is due to the limited drivers included in the with the operating system. Device drivers is the type of software which allows the operating system interact with specific devices.

One example explains why the Logitech Revue is compatible with NTFS partitions while the Sony Google TV devices are not. Logitech included the NTFS-3G drivers from Tuxera to support this added capacity. Sony did not put the effort to implement these drivers and that's why you cannot mount NTFS partitions on your Google TV devices made by Sony.

There is a very technical reason why with that is not currently probable. First of all, third-party GTV developers can only execute their code within the Dalvik Virtual Machine (VM) supported by Android. This virtual machine keeps the developer sand boxed from any OS resources which is not made available through the supported Application Program Interfaces (API) of the Android Software Developer Kit (SDK). That is why writing apps for Google TV is rather limited.

It actually isn't "native Android Code", its writing native processor code. This is supported through the Android Native Developer Kit (NDK). The NDK is a companion tool for the Android SDK which lets developers build portions of their apps with native code. It provides headers and libraries that allows them to build activities, handle user input, use hardware sensors, access application resources, and more. However, all Android Application Packages (APK) run inside of a Dalvik virtual machine and is still limited by the resources made available to it by Google through the SDK's APIs.

In order for a developer to gain access to resources outside of the Dalvik VM, they will need to work with the Google or the specific manufacturer to roll their software as part of the operating system. This is one of the reasons why both Flash and Netflix is comes pre-packaged with the operating system. In order to support Adobe's ActionScript Virtual Machine (AVM), where the Flash apps run it was necessary for it to be packaged with the operating system.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

I think you are not quite right here. There is USB Host Java API in Android Honeycomb (USB Host | Android Developers).
    It probably could be used for simple purposes like controlling toasters. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Didn't realize this feature was implemented in 3.1, but correct me again if I'm wrong but this API seems to require USB devices specifically "designed to work with Android-powered devices and must adhere to the Android Accessory Communication Protocol." Otherwise, for USB devices which do not support this protocol, they would still require the necessary drivers to be installed in the operating system. So, support is still unlikely until someone builds a toaster with Android Open Accessory.

On that note, I do like how Google is making USB devices "more plug and play friendly" by implementing a "proprietary yet universal" device driver which matches their vendor ID (0x18D1) and product ID (0x2D00 or 0x2D01).

7. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

"Android Accessory" is the opposite thing. It allows Android phones (with their mini-USB cables) to connect to specially designed (ADK) devices with USB-host.
    USB Host API means USB-host in Android device (i suppose it was designed for Tablets with USB-hosts). According to description, it has no limitations on what you can control.

8. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

i have a thumb drive NTFS > will the sony google tv (blu ray top box) read a NTFS thumb drive? mine doesnt seem to want to. i am unable to put a large file in FAT32. It says it does not have enough room and it does have plenty of space. any suggestions?

I'm trying to watch a large mkv file from a thumb drive

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No. It doesn't have the drivers necessary to support NTFS partitions. This is actually describe above in an earlier post. Only the Logitech Revue can support NTFS partitions.

There is a file size limitation on FAT32 partitions which only allows files up to 4GB. You might want to split the file if you're going to store it on a FAT32 partitions. Otherwise, if you're going to have files over 4GB in size then I recommend that you stream it over the network to your Google TV device instead of trying to play the file locally.

10. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

There is a file size limitation on FAT32 partitions which only allows files up to 4GB. You might want to split the file if you're going to store it on a FAT32 partitions. Otherwise, if you're going to have files over 4GB in size then I recommend that you stream it over the network to your Google TV device instead of trying to play the file locally.[/QUOTE]

i would stream it but it seems my network is to slow and the audio/video is out of wack. I switched from NTFS to ExFAT and it worked perfectly. I was able to fit the entire 11gig mkv file on it and it plays flawless. BTW what is ExFAT rather than FAT32 and NTFS?

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Extended File Allocation Table (exFAT) is a proprietary file system designed especially for flash drives and developed by Microsoft. At least that's what the wiki definition claims.

May I ask what sort of network do you have? Are all your devices connected through WiFi? You might consider using HomePlug AV PowerLine Networking equipment instead. Either Logitech or Netgear make quality adapters which are rated to run at 200Mbps and 500Mpbs respectively.

• Like Like x 2
  12. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

I am using all my devices on WiFi. Thanks for those links - i will deffiantly check it out. I should have all my devices plugged directly into a ethernet cable right? I bet that will help > its a pain to transfer everything to a thumb drive then play...

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, the way I see it, the preferred method of communication is (native) Ethernet > PowerLine AV network > Wireless > Sneaker-net > Smoke Signals.

14. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

eferz - at&t provided 3 adapters for my home and now i have all of my devices plugged directly into the wall. They are pushing 100mb each... The video loads fine however there is a audio lag as well as some video. I did notice if i try and play a smaller video its not as bad.

Question: if i download videos - will that affect video streaming from my laptop to gtv?

Also is it pretty common for that audio/video lag? (they are all mkv files)

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Interesting. What sort of adapters did you get?

It depends on your network. Although even if you had a shared 100Mb connection between three systems, I wouldn't suspect there to be a problem. Although you never know with torrents or other download clients, especially if you have to contribute. A switched 100Mb connection might be better in your case. That way the system which is performing the internet file transfers won't affect the cross communication between the Revue and its media server.

No, actually it is not common at all. That's indicative that something isn't performing correctly. One of the whole point with file containers is so the separate streams are interleaved. This creates a common timeline between them to prevent a dilation from occurring since they are in fact two asynchronous processes. So, if your video and audio isn't synchronized then there's definitely something wrong somewhere.

Here's an example of what a contents of generic multimedia container with an audio and video stream might look like logically:

[File Header: MetaData]VVVAVVVAVVVAVVVAVVVAVVVAVVVAVVVAVVVAVVVAVVVA[MetaData:EOF]

The unit of data of data will be in either block, bytes, bits, whatever the specifications of media container type. But, the general idea is the same, mix the data up so the file can be processed linearly yet maintain a common timeline. As you can see in the example above, the video and audio streams are purposely fragmented. This is one of the ways the container helps coordinate the two streams to run consecutively. However, the actual decoding and display is dependent on the separate audio and video rendering process. This could be a media server transcoding the two streams at different rates or the movie itself player is unable keep the two streams in unison.