Quantcast

The Truth About Logitech “Ditching” Google TV

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

The Truth About Logitech "Ditching" Google TV

11/12/2011

[​IMG]
    If you've read any of the news about Logitech and Google TV over the past 24 hours or so, you've probably already heard about Logitech discontinuing the Revue ("ditching" Google TV) and calling it a "gigantic mistake". Unfortunately, most of these articles are just a lot of catch phrases and hype. It seems no one wants to actually read the transcript from the conference call with Logitech's CEO. What everyone does seem to want to do is throw around the same catch phrases and rewrite the exact same story over and over on every web site on the internet. I'm here to give you a different perspective on this story.

Continue reading the entire article @ http://gnarld.com/the-truth-about-logitech-ditching-google-tv/

• Like Like x 8
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

And that's why I don't care for sensational journalism. There's just way too much of these days.

3. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Nice article.

Can I request that you use a regular dark font, and not bold? Would be easier to read.

4. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

The reason I do that extra step is to cover up other clickable links that are sometimes used in articles that usually are just a distraction for most (you can always view the original article clicking on the SOURCE Link at the bottom) that are different colors and then make the article even more difficult to read. I sometimes use a lighter blue that requires "bold" to view easier if the article has fewer wrapped links. You are not the first to request a change but if you are using a computer can't you adjust your screen to better view what I have posted? Thanks for your comment.

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I posted the link to this over on the Logitech forum Thanks for finding and sharing with us

6. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Thanks for considering, I just figured I'd ask. Reading all bold is kind of like reading all-CAPS for me. The font itself becomes a distraction. Just my own preference...

7. wingzofsteel

wingzofsteel New Member

Thanks for the article. I have been dumbfounded by all the misleading copy-cat journalism articles exacerbated by re-tweets upon re-tweets of the same sensationalized nonsense. Especially the ones touting the 100 million dollar mistake, or, the most sensationalized and dishonest, "Logitech jumps off the sinking Googletv ship," I read this morning. If it were on the original road map not to build set top boxes beyond Revue, then pioneering with Google had to be considered R&D. I believe as many do that Logitech over priced the devices in the beginning and for what ever the reason, seems embittered by their mistake. Perhaps Logitech needs to look strongly at bringing in a new CIO that will take them the whole distance in partnering with Google instead of giving up just short of success.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I agree and when someone responded, "What does it matter?" in response to this post on the Logitech Technical Support forums this was my response:

It's the impression or perception of false information and its perpetuation which is what I'm trying to avoid. From the Q2 FY12 Prepared Remarks, we know that the Logitech Revue lost $34 Million in expected profit. This is because Logitech had to refund a portion of the credit for the unsold boxes to their distributors. Otherwise, the distributors were threatening to send back the unsold supply to eliminate their debt to Logitech. That is how and why they revalued the MSRP from $249.99 to $99.99.

So, we can at least account for $34 Million dollars in lost revenue for the Revue. However, because he compiled the "$100 Million operating profit" loss with the EMEA miscues everyone is assuming the entire amount is due to the Revue. We can only account for a little more than 1/3 of that value from the facts given publically. We don't know exactly how much more of that value rest on the Revue. However, it is probably safe to assume that a greater portion was due to the operational changes in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) since that took presedence in his November 9, 2011 Analyst & Investor Day speech.

Of course, someone else had to point out that the article was biased and this was my response.

Here are some excerpts of the webcast transcripts and the portions of the respective report which are relevant to the Google TV. You can make up your mind who are "biased" and which "conclusions are away from reality"

[HR][/HR]Guerrino De Luca wrote:Our Strategy and Priorities Revisited - 11/09/2011:

• Logitech Revue - executed a full scale launch with a beta product and it cost us dearly
    • Operational miscues in EMEA and Logitech Revue cost us well over $100M in operating profit
    • Brought closure to Logitech Revue saga
      • Expect our inventory to be depleted before end of Fiscal 2012
      • No plans to introduce another box to replace Revue
    [HR][/HR]​

9. ratiram

ratiram New Member

User Interface (UI) and navigation: The social network has updated its UI with a customisable ribbon of icons for home, profile, pages and photos. It simplifies the navigation process and makes it easy to access some of its major features. The friends' list has been moved up to the right. This new update provides you with easy access to your bookmarks and places. Moreover, you can drag your most frequently used apps to the 'More' section for easy access.