Quantcast

The state of Google TV Hacking

Discussion in 'Google TV Hacking Discussion' started by JohnDroid, Oct 4, 2010.

1. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure that Google TV will be a popular 'hacked' device. Whether it be a TV or (most likely) a set-top box.

What I'm curious about is how common people wanting to modify their units will be?

What will they modify, ie, what additions or subtractions will be made?

We don't know too much about Google TV units at this point, so it's hard to point out benefits of even hacking it but undoubtedly there will be some. I'm just trying to get an idea of what you think MIGHT be the things that people end up adding?

2. EekASpider

EekASpider New Member

I know very little about it, but since I wanted to hack my android about 42 seconds after I opened it, I'm sure Google TV will be the same thing.

Now if only we can keep hardware vendors from putting their own heavy handed interface over the top... (I'm looking at YOU Motorola)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Well to answer this I am hoping we can ADB push apps to the device which would be cool for some selected apps. Maybe even get rid of the 40 Gig cap on external storage. Personally Quick Office or Documents to Go would be cool seeing as we have external storage capability AND a keyboard/mouse. Maybe even Photoshop Express, PicSay and HP iPrint Photo. Then rooting it and who knows... be able to connect a Wii or PS3 controller to it and play games that use the motion controls? Like Raging Thunder 2, SpeedX, etc...? There are a whole slew of possibilities just a matter of getting access to the hardware and root. Not to mention the apps. that will be made for it once the Android Market is available. You can GUARANTEE that Honeycomb, the version of Android AFTER Ginger Bread, coming for tablets will be the OS update on GoogleTV boxes. It's a very bright future and hopefully a rooted future!

4. HamDog

HamDog Member

The 1st and best hack should be modifying the user agent in Chrome! Or loading other browsers that allow you to that. This way, you can watch Hulu!

I would also like to see a browser that can handle Microsoft Sliverlight. One of my favorite websites (Marketsmith.com) shows great interactive stock market charts using Silverlight. It would be nice to browse through charts on a big screen TV. Although I already do that with my HTPC.

5. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Doesn't Netflix already uses Silverlight? So if GoogleTV can run Netflix there is a good chance Chrome on Gtv can do it too.

6. NoDiggity

NoDiggity New Member

Does the hardware have USB ports? I'm thinking hook up an external drive or flash memory and have a free DVR :-D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Yes but apparently it is limited to 40gig and FAT32 format only... for now :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

I can't wait to see what you all develop here :p

Count me in !

9. nagmier

nagmier New Member

I've preordered my Logitech Revue... once it hits I'm looking for Root access, side loading apps like Touituer and trying to get some fun stuff going... I want to develop for GTV so I intend on trying to get a head start for the SDK release. A user agent hack would be nice but I lost interest in Hulu long ago nothing really interests me there but places like natgeo and other websites would be nice imo

• Like Like x 4
  10. rrwcm

rrwcm New Member

I found a post on another site (can't remember where) which says the User Agent appears as:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like
    Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.127 Large Screen Safari/533.4 GoogleTV/b39389

What would this have to be changed to in order to get Hulu?

11. jmlott

jmlott New Member

Hulu has already gone around the user agent trick just like they did with Android phones. They are now looking at Flash itself to identify the device. What that means is we will have to wait until it gets rooted and someone can modify the flash apk just like they did on the phones. The good news is that it's already been proven to work, so all we have to do is wait for someone to root it which will hopefully come very soon.

12. gtv-fan

gtv-fan New Member

No need to hack anything - you can do this even today...

13. rad_thundercat

rad_thundercat New Member

Regarding the removal of the 40/900GB cap: Isn't this an Android OS file system limitation rather than an arbitrary limitation put on?

I think the best route for watching movies is to have it stream from another computer (no more cap).

A proper hack I could use right now would be to have a movie player on there that will downmix DTS audio. And see my .mkv files. I've heard the Logitech app is supposed to support them, but only super compressed .avi files show up.

14. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

We need some insiders to kickstart this!!! Indeed, a lot of issue resolution and other troubleshooting can be improved if we had access to internal settings, say like through ssh or telnet. Anyone? :)

15. rad_thundercat

>...And see my .mkv files. I've heard the Logitech app is supposed to support them, but >only super compressed .avi files show up.

Re-reading this, I answered my own question. The reason the .mkv files aren't showing up is because they are over 4GB which a FAT32 file system won't see! Correct me if I'm wrong of course!

16. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

It's not actually the chome user agent that is allowing everyone to block us...you can change that easily, you can even manually type in a user agent to make sites think you are using any browser on the market on any OS. Biggest problem is how flash is identifying the system. So once again it is adobe that is the weak link.

Once someone figures out how to get into the GTV file system and can change the flash identifier our problems will be solved.

17. rad_thundercat

Great info, gentlefury.

I guess a silver lining of all these people out of work is that more time can be spent hacking google tv!

18. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

BTW, its already been done on the Boxee app....so it is def possible with GTV.

19. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Has no one scanned their GTV's IP for open ports?

20. Guillaume Boudreau

Guillaume Boudreau New Member

I just did:
    Code:
    $ nmap -p1-65535 revue

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-12-04 10:16 EST
    Nmap scan report for revue (192.168.155.15)
    Host is up (0.027s latency).
    rDNS record for 192.168.155.15: revue.home.com
    Not shown: 65529 closed ports
    PORT     STATE SERVICE
    53/tcp   open  domain
    1100/tcp open  unknown
    5222/tcp open  unknown
    5223/tcp open  unknown
    9551/tcp open  unknown
    9552/tcp open  unknown

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 13.66 seconds
    So it has an open DNS server listening, which seems to work fine:
    Code:
    $ nslookup www.sourceforge.net revue
    Server:		revue
    Address:	192.168.155.15#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    www.sourceforge.net	canonical name = sourceforge.net.
    Name:	sourceforge.net
    Address: 216.34.181.60
    Port 1100: can connect to it. Server says nothing. (Don't know what that port is.)
    Port 9551: can connect to it. Server says nothing. (Don't know what that port is.)
    Port 9552: can connect to it. Server says nothing. (Don't know what that port is.)

Port 5222: This in an XMPP (Jabber) server!
    Port 5223: XMPP over SSL
    I tried to register an account on that Jabber server, using a Jabber client (Adium).
    There's the conversation that took place:
    Client:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' ?><stream:stream to='revue' xmlns='jabber:client' xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams' version='1.0'>
    <iq type='get' id='purpleffe80619'><query xmlns='jabber:iq:register'/></iq></stream:stream>
    Server:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0'?><stream:stream from='revue' id='2aaa0235' version='1.0' xmlns='jabber:client' xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'><stream:features><mechanisms xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><mechanism>PLAIN</mechanism></mechanisms></stream:features>
    <iq id="purpleffe80619" type="error"><error code="501" type="CANCEL"><feature-not-implemented xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></iq></stream:stream>
    The above basically tells me registering isn't supported. So I'd need to guess a valid username/password to be able to connect.

So I tried googletv/googletv, and it failed (meh):
    Client:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' ?><stream:stream to='revue' xmlns='jabber:client' xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams' version='1.0'>
    <auth xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl' mechanism='PLAIN' xmlns:ga='http://www.google.com/talk/protocol/auth' ga:client-uses-full-bind-result='true'>AGdvb2dsZXR2AGdvb2dsZXR2</auth></stream:stream>
    Server:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0'?><stream:stream from='revue' id='c0404aac' version='1.0' xmlns='jabber:client' xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'><stream:features><mechanisms xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><mechanism>PLAIN</mechanism></mechanisms></stream:features>
    <failure xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><not-authorized/></failure></stream:stream>
    Not sure if there's any Jabber brute-force attack we could use to try to find a valid account...