Quantcast

The Slow Impending and Painful Death of Basic Cable

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 12, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Slow, Impending, And Painful Death of Basic Cable (click for full article)

by Dashiell Reinhardt - July 11, 2013

"I've been receiving a reoccurring call from TimeWarner Cable for a while now. It goes a little something like this:

TimeWarner: Hello is this Das...squirrel?

Me: Sure, let's go with that.

TimeWarner: Hi, we've noticed you're subscribed to our broadband service but not our cable or phone services. We have a deal we think you'd be interested in.

Me: No thanks.

TimeWarner: Well, may we ask who you're with?

Me: Who I'm... no one, just don't need them.

TimeWarner: Oh...

Me: Yup, fine with just the internet.

TimeWarner: (Piercing shriek of confusion and agony)

That last part wasn't true. It was more of guttural howl.

Besides being particularly amusing, Time Warner calling with the desperation of a jealous ex-girlfriend is an indication to the state of current affairs in ye ole world of television. Cable companies have seen a steady decline in subscription rates over the last decade and have found themselves scrambling to gain new customers and hold on to existing ones."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Lol!

Luv it. I actually called and disconnected my cable service once and that evening received a Fedex parcel offering me the same service Cox had just raised the prices on for 1/2 off for a year. I grabbed it...

How the times are a changing!

Carl

3. guest

guest Active Member

4. CatfishRivers

Is Google Fiber A Threat To Cable Stocks? - Forbes (click for full article)

Y Charts contributor - July 11, 2013

"Cable companies continue to pooh-pooh Google Fiber, the super-fast Internet connection and TV service that utterly shames their own services in both speed and price.

But cable investors might want to keep a close watch on this project, which is beginning to look like the biggest threat to those merger-hyped cable shares since Netflix got serious about streaming.

Note in a stock chart how much more fun it's been to be a Google or Netflix investor lately, even with merger talks hyping cable shares.

Since November, Google Fiber has sold a $70-a-month Internet connection to Kansas City residents that can do in seconds what takes minutes on a Time Warner Cable $74.99-a-month connection. Google Fiber is about 150 times as fast as the connections most cable subscribers buy there, and for an additional $50, it comes with television too.

Time Warner and Comcast executives treat that competition as Google's little hobby-perhaps a ploy to embarrass them into better service, which they insist won't work. Last month, Comcast CEO Brian Roberts addressed the Google Fiber threat with a demonstration showing that his company could create connectivity at 3 gigabytes if it wanted to. (Google Fiber runs at 1 gbps.)"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. CatfishRivers

Canadians cutting TV moving to web views - Winnipeg Free Press (click for full article)

by Michael Oliveira - July 12, 2013

"TORONTO -- About 16 per cent of Canadian adults said they no longer watch any conventional TV and strictly stream online content, according to a report by measurement firm comScore.

The research, which was commissioned by Google, also found 45 per cent of respondents said they watch both TV and online video content, 35 per cent said they only watch TV and four per cent said they watch neither.

Younger viewers were more likely to be "cord cutters" -- a nickname for consumers who don't pay for TV and rely on digital video for their entertainment."

6. CatfishRivers

Silicon Valley vs. the Tyranny of Traditional TV : The New Yorker (via Mowser) (click for full article)

by Matt Buchanan - July 18, 2013

"Phones are boring. So are tablets, and laptops, and every other traditional form of computer. All the leading models offer (roughly) comparable experiences. Progress is measured in inches, or millimeters. Technology companies have left one screen relatively untouched, though: television."