Quantcast

The search for a Co-Star remote replacement

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Brian202020, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Brian202020

Brian202020 New Member

I'm looking for a replacement for the Co-Star's remote. I very much dislike the Co-Star's remote, especially the back keyboard. I'm looking for replacement option, but I don't want to loose any functionality. Does anyone have any opinion's? Does other Google TV remotes (Revue keyboard, Sony Google TV remote, etc) work and don't loose functionality? Is there any Bluetooth/IR remotes that will work?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you are a smart phone or tablet aficionado you might consider one of the apps that can turn those devices into a Google TV remote. Personally I use the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard with my Revue, Sony NSZ-GT1 and Sony NSZ-GS7 because I like a full sized keyboard but I don't have a Co-Star to know if that control will work as well with it as it does with my models, maybe somebody else has experience with that combination and can comment. All functions I wanted from the remote works across all three models with all devices I want controlled except one feature, with the NSZ-GS7, I can't figure out how to do 30 skip forward on the TiVo used with it. The other two do 30 second skip. I am missing out on voice control of course but the Co-Star remote as well as all of the original remotes for my Google TV models don't have a mic either.

I would think the best possible remote for the Co-Star if you want a full sized keyboard would be a Bluetooth keyboard designed specifically for Google TV but so far that doesn't exist. There may be a Bluetooth keyboard that can be paired and work to some degree with the Co-Star but the chances everything needed will covered are slim. My guess is that the Logitech K700 would be the best full sized keyboard for the Co-Star and every other Google TV device as of right now even though it is RF, not Bluetooth.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

4. ChrisG8

In addition to the RF mini Logitech Google TV controller, another possibility is the Logitech diNovo which looks very similar but is Bluetooth. I know somebody tried the diNovo with one of the models and wasn't happy but I don't recall which model or any specifics. That information should be here in a thread.

Amazon.com: Logitech diNovo Mini Keyboard: Electronics

I haven't seen a thread comparing the Co-Star replacement remote options, it doesn't appear many owners are using a different remote and probably one big reason is cost, the $100 Co-Star being controlled by a $50 or more control might seem rather silly.

5. Brian202020

Brian202020 New Member

I have a first gen 24 inch Google TV at the office and I like that remote a lot better. Maybe I'll bring it home one day and report back on my findings.

$sony-google-tv-remote.jpg

6. ChrisG8

That can't work, it is RF, unless you have some sort of USB adapter to enable receiving commands. The Logitech Revue K700 comes with a USB unifying receiver which enables communication with models other than the Revue. It looks just like the remote that comes with the NSZ-GT1.

7. snow11

snow11 New Member

So the K700 will work with a unifying receiver

8. ChrisG8

9. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

I've already tried a Revue keyboard using the unifying receiver from my mouse. It has very limited functionality and you can't use it to control your TV, cablebox, etc. I thought I read somewhere that if you turned power saving off for the co-star remote it would act like an IR blaster, but that didn't work when I tried it.

10. ChrisG8

Yes the fact the Co-Star sends IR commands to control other devices from the remote rather than the box makes the K700 or any other controller that isn't both Bluetooth and IR a poor replacement. I mentioned I couldn't recall specifics why these other remotes don't work well with the Co-Star although I have pointed that out a few times, it is the reason I own three other models and no Co-Stars in my opinion, that was a terrible product design choice. With all three models I own, IR commands for other devices are sent from the box, the K700 can handle it.

The Co-Star is a terrible box for my needs just because of that single reason.

11. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

12. Brian202020

Brian202020 New Member

Yeah thanks. I've read that thread as well. I think I might just buy a cheap dedicated 4-5 inch android tablet and install Able remote on it and set the original remote up high on a shelf and use it as the IR blaster like the thread suggests.

Cheap 4-5 inch Android tablet like this:
    View Trio 4.3" Touch Screen Tablet/MP3 Player Deals at Big Lots

Able Remote App for Android tablets and phones
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.entertailion.android.remote

Able Remote App for the Google TV
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tLmVudGVydGFpbGlvbi5hbmRyb2lkLnR2cmVtb3RlIl0.

13. ChrisG8

I don't have any idea how well those specific inexpensive tablets work but as I suggested first, a smart phone or tablet is probably the best for the Co-Star if you don't like the original remote. Once again, I have no idea how that will work as far as controlling the other devices, make sure it outputs IR also if that is important. I did install Able Remote and used it briefly with my TouchPad running Android 4.0x and it worked well enough but I quickly went back to the Logitech K700 keyboard which is where I am sure to stay.

14. ChrisG8

The only web browsers I have used are IE, WebOS and Google TV Chrome and I am happy with any of the three but I have read there are better browsers so I certainly am not against Google improving the Google TV browser.

15. ChrisG8

I guess it is worth asking, has anybody had any success with using the Co-Star remote as an IR blaster with the K700? The string with the Logitech K700 would be RF from keyboard to the box, Bluetooth from the box to the Co-Star remote then IR from the remote to the devices being controlled. It is obviously a clunky solution and requires all IR devices to be directly in the line of fire, unlike using a box with IR emitters and wired blasters but in some setups it might work. Maybe an IR repeater for devices not in the line of fire would help but the expense is getting much greater and it is a cobbled together mess of a solution, even if it does work.

16. CatfishRivers

How does the K700 keyboard work if a person is just using the Co-Star connected directly to TV and doesn't mind using another remote to control TV? In other words is the K700 a decent keyboard for typing and using the dedicated GTV command functions? If so this K-700 keyboard could still be of use to some Co-Star users. I recall reading elsewhere that as a basic GTV keyboard it functions pretty good with the Co-Star. Also Logitech support claims that the K-700 functions well with all "GTV ready devices".

So do things such as the back key, search key, home key, menu key etc work with the Co-Star?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  17. CatfishRivers

18. Brian202020

Brian202020 New Member

CatfishRivers, I believe that iPazzPort Google TV remote is for Android PC devices. The name is confusing, but I think if you use it with a Google TV the functionality would be limited.

19. CatfishRivers

Incorrect. It is a Google TV keyboard:

http://www.slashgear.com/efo-wireless-google-tv-keyboardremote-ideal-for-logitech-revue-08131586/ (click for full article & photos)

From the Slashgear article:

"We were reasonably impressed by Logitech's Revue when we reviewed the Google TV STB last year, but one of our main concerns was how living room friendly the standard wireless keyboard remote was. Logitech will happily sell you its mini controller, but at $129 it's a whole lot more expensive than EFO's wireless Google TV keyboard.

For $52.50 you get a full QWERTY thumbboard, backlit and with all the Google TV specific shortcut buttons, along with a touchpad for navigation. The 'board is designed to recognize orientation changes, so that you can hold it as a traditional remote and navigate via the touchpad. There's even a laser pointer, and as you can see in the image above on the right (EFO underneath, Logitech Revue keyboard on top) there's a significant size difference too."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  20. Brian202020

Brian202020 New Member

• Like Like x 2