Quantcast

The REL07 Experience

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jschall, Mar 15, 2013.

1. jschall

jschall Member

I'm in Canada, so the list of signifiicant new features in GTV3.2 REL07 is pretty short. Voice Search? Even keyboard search does nothing for us Canadians.

But guess what? I discovered a great little improvement to the TV PIP function. If you hover over the PIP window, without even clicking the PIP button on the remote, a bunch of clickspots appear for moving and closing the window. In the previous release, AFAIK there was no way to kill the TV except to go to home screen and open a new app like Chrome, for example.

So, what other improvements have YOU found in REL07?

• Like Like x 6
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the PIP app always offered maximize, close, move, and increase size if you held the PIP button over the PIP window. Just hit close to kill the TV screen. I use three different Google TV models, using the NSZ-GT1 now and that is how it works.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yep, the difference is that ya don't have to click on the PIP to activate the PIP menu.

Cute, but not a big deal...

Carl

4. jschall

jschall Member

I agree. Are there no other improvements that REL07 provides for non-US residents?

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

My response was to this "In the previous release, AFAIK there was no way to kill the TV except to go to home screen and open a new app like Chrome, for example." I could always close the TV screen from the PIP window easily. I didn't even notice the difference with the update.

6. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I noticed if I pull up the Primetime app and click on a show to go to it on my Directv DVR and then when the show comes up, if the first button I click after that is the back button it will exit the tv app and take me back to the Primetime app.
    Now if I just change channels and operate the Directv DVR normally without Primetime and hit the back button it acts like the Directv remote back button.

7. rmmckinney96

rmmckinney96 New Member

I am having the same problem. I called Sony they said it was a problem with my TiVo (of course...how convenient that this could NOT be Sony's fault) anyway I have made a thread here discussing this issue, started a discussion on the Google TV Community Google Plus page, and filed a bug at the Google TV Developers page. I urge you to join our discussion with KLINK, Thomas, Lanny, and Israel. Maybe if we get enough people Google or Sony will notice, or we can figure out a workaround of our own.

8. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I don't think you are having the same problem I was describing rmmckinney96. I am able to change channels using the PrimeTime guide. The problem I have is if I select a channel in the Primetime quick guide and then it does tune to it, if I hit the back arrow button it closes the TV app and goes to the PrimeTime guide. If I change the channel with the Primetime quick guide and then do something else with the DVR like hit the guide button, menu button, change channels with the channel button etc. then the back arrow button works like normal and doesn't exit the tv app and go back to the Primetime guide.

9. rmmckinney96

rmmckinney96 New Member

But I wonder if they are related to each other. I think that both of the problems we are having are being caused by the process behind PrimeTime. Perhaps it is not able to send the right information to the cable box and then it just quits back to PrimeTime.

10. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I don't think so, Primetime is working fine on my box to change channels with. I just have to remember not to press the back button right after using Primetime to change to a channel. It's just that the back button acts as the regular back button for the Sony box at that time instead of the back button for the Directv box.

11. Aslan442

Aslan442 New Member

Nothing different on a UK Box no prime time no voice search, no updated remote very dissatisfied with how Google released google tv outside of usa and have given international owners nothing what was the point if we don't get any of the new features and apps

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

12. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Is there any way of getting the Amazon Instant Video for GTV apk for a Canadian Sony GS7? I keep seeing sideload being mentioned but is there something about the Canadian firmware which would stop the apk from loading? Would be nice to use when in the US (I have 2 Sony boxes which are great. Just missing Hulu+ and to a lessor extent Amazon).

Philip

13. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Of course. The app may have been designed with the new version in mind, and/or may require DRM features that didn't exist in previous versions, but don't know for sure until someone tries.

14. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The problem seems to be that the apk cannot be obtained from the Google Play store since it claims the app is not compatible. What they really mean is that it is not available for Canadian Sony GTV boxes. There doesn't seem to be anywhere else to get this apk or at least I don't know where since my Android skill level is very modest. This is why I was hoping to side load the app, if I could get it.

philip

15. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Did the REL07 just automatically happen? Seems to me I am still on REL06.

Philip

16. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Yes. the update start back on March 13[SUP]th[/SUP] - try Force update click here

17. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Ok, it's all working great now with Rel07. Thanks.

Philip

18. novellover

novellover New Member

Hi Philip, I am in Australia and can get amazon instant video through the Open Launcher App in the app store, it does play the trailers ok. Might be worth exploring. regards John

19. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I finally managed to figure this all out. I wasn't that familiar with Android, the Play store and so on ... Now have the app working just fine.

Philip