Quantcast

The [Official] I got My Nexus Player Thread

Discussion in 'Nexus Player' started by Jeffrey, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

Post your comments here when your NP arrives.​

Tell us about the good, the bad, the ugly...

2. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

Received my Nexus Player and I love how snappy it is with YouTube, Vevo etc. I loaded Chrome Beta and unless you have a Bluetooth keyboard (tried using my phone) pretty useless. I have a Nexus 10 and it is running lollipop. I was able to cast the xfinity player, watch Espn, etc. Could not cast BTN. It mirrored what ever I was viewing on the tablet. Looking forward to future applications. I should clarify, I am currently a Revue user so the speed and over all smoothness is really good compared to the Revue.

Jeff

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tye

Tye Member

Got it yesterday. Mixed bag, as expected.

Positives:
    Snappy interface that is pretty easy to get around. I see a lot of potential once bugs get fixed and more developers start to create TV optimized apps.

The recommended media tiles at the top of the home screen work well. The available news apps are already starting to seed my homepage with interesting videos.

XBMC works. Technically, I'd like to say I don't care about this because the reason for buying the NP was to replace my media PC (which replaced my Revue). Realistically, XBMC still brings some things to the table which I can't get otherwise.

Chrome works very decently. Much better than I expected actually. Much better than Chrome on the Revue except for the lack of a Flash Player, which I already expected.

The K700 keyboard from the Logitech Revue works nicely if you pair it with a Logitech dongle. Most apps work as expected but there are a few like Netflix which expect you to press the Enter key instead of the button in the center of the D-Pad to select things. On one hand, it's a minor thing. On the other hand, it messes with the flow more than I'd like.

1Channel app works great.

Issues/Complaints:
    1. As known, *very* limited on-board storage. Many of the games in the Play Store already approach 2gb and there just isn't even 6gb on left to the user to start with. It looks doubtful that we'll be able to move much to external storage. We shall see...

2. No way to adjust for overscan. Unfortunate but I now have my excuse to get a nice new 60" or so TV. :D

3. I have found no way to adjust the volume. It seems hidden from the average user. I even got Tasker installed on it hoping to work under the UI but no such luck. So, you're still stuck using at least two remote controls. For all the Revue's flaws, it got so many things right.

4. The Nexus Player seems to have a lot of issues recognizing external USB hard drives. I've tried three so far. One of them managed to work exactly once and then all of them stopped getting recognized in ES File Explorer when plugged in. I've seen other reports of similar issues. Technically, I could probably set up a Raspberry Pi as a movie server but I was really hoping to keep things simpler.

5. Google Play Music is *too* simple. I can't even figure out how to skip to a section of a song. You either start playing the current one or skip to the next.

6. Hardly any apps. I knew when I bought it that it would be slim but, honestly, I kind of expected that there would be more than this. I realize Google wants to implement some quality control on TV apps but I wonder if they still haven't found that magic formula.

7. No easy way to switch between apps and not all apps behave the same when moving to the homescreen. For example, if you're in YouTube and press the home button, then the YouTube video will keep playing in the background. But if you're watching a movie in the Crackle app and go to the homescreen, the video will stop and you have to relaunch the entire app and find your movie again. So, if I want to check the time I gamble on which app will keep playing. This is one aspect of XBMC that I really like. The videos keep playing until you press stop or start another video. Personally, I believe XBMC got this right.

Lots of thoughts but that's all I have time to share right now. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Were you able to download Chrome directly from the Play Store or did you sideload it? What version of Chrome are you using? I believe the Chrome beta in the Play Store can probably be downloaded directly without sideloading. Have you tried streaming videos with Chrome - for instance how do the videos work on YouTube, Vimeo, and PBS.org? Thanks for your input.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Tye

Tye Member

I used a PC to log into my Google account and "told" the Play website to install it on my NP. A few minutes later, it showed up on my NP. I have to use the ChainFire Sideload Launcher to access it. It does not show on the NP's standard home screen. The "About Chrome" screen says it's 39.0.2171.59 -- no mention of beta.

YouTube videos work from what I can tell. I have my YouTube account set to use HTML5 whenever possible so I don't know if this will be the same for everyone. No Flash videos, of course.
    I just tried four random videos on Vimeo and they all worked. I don't use this site much so if there are specific videos you'd like me to check, just post the links.
    PBS works too, from what I can see. I played this one: video.pbs.org/video/2365367186 . I don't have a PBS account so I can't check the high quality version of the video but if it's important to you let me know. As much as you've given to the community, I'm happy to give back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tye

Tye Member

Also, I should reiterate what jetmdt said above. Without a keyboard, Chrome is almost impossible to use. However, with the K700 it works beautifully. Even better if you're comfortable with all the keyboard shortcuts.

7. dellb

dellb New Member

Anyone tried the android phone remote control apps?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  8. Tye

Tye Member

The official Android TV Remote Control app by Google has the same lay out as the Nexus Player remote control. It works well if you like using your phone as the system's remote.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chazzzmd78

chazzzmd78 New Member

Just received mine yesterday.....

Good:
    New UI, OS speed is great, voice control is pretty good, initial apps are good and ALL seem to have their respective most recent UI as well, "Recommended" section is pretty cool and pretty accurate to me

Not So Good:
    You HAVE to get the "Android TV Launcher" update which is not as intuitive as it should be. It addresses "bugs", bugs you will notice within the 1st hour or 2.

Bugs/Features:
    -Voice Search results from Home Screen sometimes has a "layering" issue when scrolling through all the results google has come up with. This causes you to scroll actually behind the main graphics and you can't see what you are on. This does not happen all the time.

-Recommended For You (row) gives you bogus links for its YouTube recommendations. The video preview on the homescreen is not what it takes you to. *This seems to be fixed with "Android TV Launcher" download.

-Recommended For You (row) does NOT give you recommendations for Netflix for some reason, I'm sure its contractual. But it does recommend so far for YouTube, Google Play Movies, Hulu, HGTV, and Crackle. Not having Netflix kind of sucks since it is my primary entertainment streamer of choice.

-Voice Search results ONLY support Google Play Movies/TV and YouTube links. The whole point of these devices is to bring streaming entertainment to the surface. Failure to include Hulu and Netflix I think is a big one for me. Promote, endorse, even encourage your Google Play Movies/TV but don't do it by sacrificing INDUSTRY STANDARD streaming services. Your product will never be "the only product in your living room" if it fails to do this. IMO this needs to be fixed.

-Currently if you are in YouTube or HGTV apps viewing content and press the HOME button the video continues to play in the background (with audio) while you are re-directed to your home screen. Any other streaming service like Netflix or Hulu do not do this. Which means when you press the home button the video and audio shut off while you are re-directed back to your home screen (in silence). This is a small feature but makes a HUGE difference IMO. Because when you are doing this you are virtually channel surfing. When you do this on your cable box you can continue to watch (lets be honest, really just listening cause you are surfing). My point is your senses are engaged while you surf. If I had an Android rep to talk to I would recommend to him or her that this be fixed ASAP. It is such a HUGE user experience difference that your senses are continuing to be engaged while you surf. Nobody channel surfs in silence. I'm sure this is contractual by Netflix and Hulu because they want you in their "world" only. But wake up guys.

-The remote is very narrow and has a low profile (height), it's only been a couple days but my wrist is hurting a bit. It may stop. I do not have huge hands either, but the remote is soooo narrow. The simplicity of the remote is great. But you will probably here it described as cheap. Again only 2 days so I have no idea how long this remote will last, but it feels cheaply made. Also, wish it had rubberdized grip on bottom. Very light weight.

Overall:
    Even though I've written more about the negatives then positive I'm very happy with this product. It is a huge improvement over GTV. Weird cause Google pioneered internet tv but are now playing catch up. I am however very confident that google will back this android tv framework. So look for some good improvements on the way.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Does the Player also function as. Chromecast receiver? That is, does it have the full functionality of a Chromecast dongle? Can you edit network settings?

11. Tye

Tye Member

I don't own a Chromecast so I don't know if it has *all* the functions of a Chromecast but I can:
    Cast my phone screen to the NP.
    Cast a tab from Chrome on an Ubuntu PC and Windows PC to the NP.
    Cast Youtube, Viki, etc. phone apps to the NP.
    Interestingly, my very old android tablet (Samsung Galaxy with Jellybean) has a Chromecast app on it but when I tell it to scan for Chromecasts it does *not* recognize the NP. I don't know if this is a problem with the NP or the tablet. Don't know if that's helpful to you...

• Like Like x 1
  12. salmast

salmast New Member

Got mine yesterday; and I give it an okay and a "nothing special". I've got two Co-Stars and this one is a step backwards; though I'd imagine that they're working on updates and patches. Many apps dont fit the screen; nor work with factory remote; nor even show up on the main menu. Again, I'm sure they're working on it. My thinking is that it may be time for me to buy a decent SmartTV.

Edit: I ended up installing Kodi, Chrome, and Sideload launcher; and seems to function very smoothly with the voice controlled front-end and bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016