Quantcast

The new face of DIRECTV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rickaren, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

The new face of DIRECTV.

DIRECTV delivers an unsurpassed HD experience, and now it's better than ever. Introducing the new DIRECTV HD On-Screen Guide. Completely redesigned, it's faster, smarter, and easier to use. Scroll through hundreds of shows in seconds. Discover new shows with recommendations based on what you already like. And enjoy a visually rich browsing experience with crystal clear HD graphics. It's all coming soon to your HD or HD DVR* receiver.[SUP]1[/SUP]

(As of today this new Guide has not been released but could be shortly)

DIRECTV: HD On-Screen Guide

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

I've been testing the new UI for the last couple of months and it fixes every single complaint that I've ever had about HR23 DVRs.

I also took an unrelated survey that had pegged 11/9 as the potential release date.

3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting...

I have been testing Direct TV for the last 3 or more years, and the only issue I had with the new h.d. guide, was the
    first guide out to us testers...

It kept having a red screen..

No worries, the hd gui will be out very shortly... Very.....

Outta curiuosity, do I know who you are in the test group....
    If ya don't want everyone to see your username, p.m. me...

I don't see that user on the db talk site

4. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

No, you don't know who I am.

5. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

DIRECTV to Launch 'Apple-Like' On-Screen Guide
    Washington, D.C. (Nov. 4, 2011)

DIRECTV said yesterday that it will launch a new "rich HD user interface" for its on-screen guide in December that will also expand the guide's options and improve its look.

The new on-screen guide, which will be available on HD DVRs, has been in the works for months. But yesterday was the first time that DIRECTV actually gave a launch time for the product.

"
    I think you'll see a little bit of the future in our HD user interface because although that's for the linear product, it will give you a sense of how we're looking at kind of speed of response, search engines, recommendations, shows you might like, poster art for movies, a much more, I would say, Apple-like, to be honest, experience from an interface standpoint," said DIRECTV CEO Mike White.

DIRECTV made the disclosure in a conference call with Wall Street analysts following the release of its third quarter report which showed that it added 327,000 net subscribers thanks to a NFL Sunday Ticket promotion.

In other news, DIRECTV said:

* It will introduce a Home Media Center by year's end that will offer twice the storage capacity of the "traditional HD DVR" and allow customers to record up to five shows at once in any room.

* The third quarter increase of 327,000 net subscribers also came with the lowest third quarter churn rate the company has experienced in four years. (Churn rate is industry jargon for subscribers who leave the service.)

* Sixty-five percent of new subscribers are signing up for both HD and DVR services, compared to 50 percent a year ago.

DIRECTV did not mention the company's partnership with TiVo in its address to the analysts. The two companies have planned to introduce a new DIRECTV/TiVo HD DVR since 2008 but the launch has been delayed for various reasons.

SOURCE