Quantcast

The final frontier (for sleepraider to be completely fulfilled by GTV)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by sleepraider, Jul 26, 2013.

1. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

My last three weeks I've been exploring GTV have been amazing.
    I now have access to virtually everything I could want from a variety of sources and am almost totally satisfied.
    Actually, I am totally satisfied. But, there are two things I used to have access to, and I dont currently know about how to do.

One is my "around the world in a minute" breaking headlines type of info I got in the past when I turned the TV on. I used to pull up CNN, Fox News, etc... and watch for 5 minutes and get the headlines. Can I do this with Redux? I like Redux's potential, and I think there's a way, but MAN... that program is ALL OVER THE PLACE. If I can do it and there's a Redux wiki, tips, instructions, etc.. I'd be all over that. Also, can I optimize redux for me? Totally lost with that program. To be fair, I havent spent too much time with it, but this is one of those situaitons where I feel like if I had a wiki I could read through for 5 minutes I'd be set.

The second area is Fox Sports. Specifically because I dont live in the region that I'm from (and where my sports team of choice is), I would love to have access to fox sports southwest. Is this a justintv type of thing or is there a different way people know of to get that type of feed?

It's amazing to me that those two small things are my "only" things left with gtv. From other sports, music, videos, tv shows, etc.... GTV has completely filled the void and in many cases, so, so much more.

OK, that's not true.. I thought of one small thing- better audio output control built into gtv.. but that's such a small detail.

3 weeks ago I was terrified I'd have to use that thing...bleh...comcast. 4 weeks ago I thought this couldnt be done.

• Like Like x 2
  2. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

I am with you. People who whine there are no contents for GTV don't know what the hell they are doing.

Regarding the headlines, have you looked into the Al Jazeera app for GTV?

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. Give this site a try for news (it's optimized for GTV):

ReNewsCaster | Rebroadcasting the NewsReNewsCaster | Rebroadcasting the News

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also for news the New York Times has a news site optimized for GTV that is very good:

http://www.nytimes.com/gtv/

and Newscaster is another good news site optimized for GTV:

http://iptv.newslook.com/

and CNN for GTV:

http://www.cnn.com/xl/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

For live news, CNN HLN, MSNBC, Fox, etc., try: Live News Chat There is also a paid Pop-out service that works well, but doesn't provide a clearer video feed than the free version.

5. Carlszone

For sports, have you tried ESPN 3 (Watch ESPN)? Non cable subscribers should be able to view all Replay content. To see archived sports up to a year make sure to first click Replay then input the sport into the search box. The Sports and Shows buttons should be set to All/All. Also certain live programs that don't require a Key (cable subscription) can be viewed. All the above is dependent on your ISP and may be blocked or not accessible in your area.

Carl

6. Travel

Travel Active Member

The Play Store has "FOX Cable News" and "FOX Cable Business News" apps. I have them installed and they work well.

7. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Hey all,
    Thanks. I didnt get to reply because I went out of town for the weekend. I wondered about Al Jazeera (have it installed, havent tried it out yet), and I installed Fox News, but its just a content aggregator from their website, not really a show. I'll try out fox cable news today if I can. I have tried ESPN3 and it works great. That's not my concern. My only concern at this point is when my favorite football team is playing on a Fox Sports channel.. Any idea how to get that stream? FSSW, FS1, etc? That's literally my only issue at this point, which is amazing.

8. Carlszone

Hi

Live streaming NFL? Not even ESPN could pull that off. Even subscribing to cable won't help finding a legitimate live streaming feed for NFL games. They've got it locked tight. W/college football ya stand a better chance.

Lemme know if you find a way...

Carl

9. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

Oh no, Carl. I meant college football. I'm completely apathetic to the NFL. Jerry ruined it for me in 93 when he axed Jimmy. Restrospetively, it was one of the best sports memories I have of the Cowboys: choosing to not be a cowboys fan. :) Now I just dont care.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Carlszone

Got it. I'll keep a heads up, but w/out cable the pickings might be on the lean side. If you have a TIVO you could use the Quick Guide to set favorite channels for Saturday games via local channels. There are quite a few. This is kinda out of my ball park as I usually subscribe to cable during football season. But I still like watching college football on ESPN 3. It just has a different feel to it.

I did some searching and there was mention of Justin TV & Ustream as well as a few others. I lost patience trying to figure out which sites required downloading software or were just spam magnets. But you can try hunting around now and try em once the season starts. But beware of the sites that ask for yer credit card info w/the promise of $0.00 being charged.

Good luck!

Carl

11. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

I've been playing with this for a few days now. Basically, what I've determined is a few things: 1) Sites that make you download something appear to be a sham at a very high percentage rate. 2) Fox Sports Regional channels appear to not currently be streaming. However, I'm told that with the change of Speed to FS1 to compete with ESPN, this might actually change! 3) Justin.TV appears to be the unofficial route during college fb season (but time will tell with that). 4) You can acutally find some pretty darn good feeds out there. I watched X-games in HD on ESPN while working for a few hours straight-- long enough to catch an football game. 5) If your ISP/you have access to ESPN, using WatchESPN would be an excellent route to go. Sadly their app sucks on gtv, but their website is still pretty fantastic.

THUUZ sports has tons of potential-- but I wish there was a comparable app that not only updated you on sports scores, but also worked similar to this as a "stream finder" and found you the game it was updating you on. There are some apps like this for android. One of them, cool streaming, states that its making a google tv app, but we'll see how that goes.

As best I can tell, there's no searchable directory in case one asks one saturday "where can I find the stream of MY team playing?" Instead, as best I can tell, the reverse is true-- what may be best is knowing what channel your team plays on, then spending time before kickoff to find the best possible feed. As you can tell, my plan is to know what station will be carrying my team's game each week and just spend time the weeks prior making sure I have a few good options. If not, I can go visit buffalo wild wings.

12. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Here is a link for sports feeds you can try atdhe.eu basically lists all sports playing for the day and has links to the streams. Though it does have some annoying ads in the beginning.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2