Quantcast

The end is near for the Co-Star?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by PhotoTraveler, Mar 2, 2014.

1. PhotoTraveler

PhotoTraveler New Member

I mean . . . I'm sensing that Frank Sinatra will start singing, "And now, the end is near" any second!!

Sure, it's quirky and crashes, and unless you know how to keep it cool, do 'force stop' procedures on apps, or the hard reset procedure, you're probably already done with your unit.

However, if one can keep it running it has the best options out there, i.e. a web browser and a remote with a keyboard.

I think I read a thread stating that there were to be no more updates after 5.6, and I have to ask, is this so?

I particularly wanted to upgrade to the new Netflix interface which has already happened on my other four devices, so if there is to be no new update for the Co-Star, how can one update the Netflix app? I tell ya', I've tried!

Thanks.

2. retroben

retroben Active Member

It kinda makes absolutely no sense at all for Co-Star to be killed off since it is the one that was known by the commercial.

It was originally what I wanted to get,but I could not find it anywhere in stores for some reason,so I eventually got my GS7 from Target,despite its higher/full price.
    The main difference was the GS7's 8GB storage versus the Co-Star's 4GB storage.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I sure don't know if there will be any further updates for the Co-Star Google TV or not but there is no reason for that to mean it is the end of the Co-Star Google TV for the users that have hung in there and continue to use it. For some strange reason Vizio released a box it calls the Co-Star LT last year, I don't even know what it is other than it is not Google TV.

There are quite a few differences between the Co-Star Google TV and the other Google TV models, Vizio made an effort to set it apart with operational differences. Mine continues to run and the update a few weeks ago that fixed Vudu means we use ours more than ever.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

I still love my co-Star and would be lost without it. If it wasnt for the Primtime app. I'd have no clue what was on,
    or what channel was what now. I have to reboot it maybe once a month. I made myself a USB powered fan to keep it cool
    and it's been running worry free for almost a year.

• Like Like x 6
  5. mogulman

mogulman New Member

I have 2 Co-stars. I just bought a new Samsung 32" Smart TV. The price difference was negligible ($35). It has all the features I use on the Co-star plus others the Co-star does not have like HBOgo and Pandora. I can screencast from my PC/cellphone to the TV. There is 1 remote. It seems more reliable than the Co-star. My large TV is going out and I plan to get another smart TV so I don't think I'll be using the Co-stars.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am using 2008 and 2010 vintage TiVos, the 2013 model does a lot of things mine don't do but the basic DVR functions I use continue to work great. My 2010 vintage Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV hasn't been updated in a long time, it still does all of the basic things I bought it to do. I think I will be using the same Google TV with TiVo setup I am using now in 5 years and still be happy even though I know none of those boxes will receive updates or new features. It may be some new apps will run fine on my Honeycomb Google TV boxes so it is possible I will have new features but it isn't like I am throwing any of them away because of lack of updates in the next few years.

The operational requirements to keep Google TV from crashing are just second nature to me now and don't even bother me. No matter what I do, I can't get Roku or Apple TV to run a web browser or control my TiVos bringing everything into one HDMI input.

7. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Funny you should say that,just a few days before the Olympics began..my B03(vap's sequel) kicked the bucket..alas!! I have a great track record with vizio and warranties that won't quit..so they sent me...yes..a new one!! what happened? it was taking the 5.6 and dediced to go *RIP*..but this one boogies and seems much faster :)

I give high marks to Vizio's customer support,and gotta love their ELO/Boston wait music..everywhere else you call for tech support,you get "elevator music" lol!
    but Nah!! I think Vizio has more SPIRIT in keeping GTV for the long haul,its going places

8. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

chris,I never really tried,vudu,netflix or any of those other ones.though through my cable I do LOVE EpixHD..Crackle was fun for awhile but they decided 'lets bug them with more commercials less movie"..how many commercials? every 15 minutes or so.

I've yet to go the Tivo route...our cable has pretty much everything OnDemand,so if I miss the "ho hum" of who got voted off on Idol,I can always replay it...
    well for a certain amount of time anyway

9. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

trophyguy-I was wondering the same thing about getting a usb fan,it does tend to
    run a bit hot otherwise..I'm on the newer version the isg-b03,which is basically the same costar
    just a few more bells and whistles as the first,but beyond that I also want to see Vizio go all the way to 4.2,4.4 and beyond that.
    Seems Vizio has more vision and foresight about their products.

I wish I could say the same for the Revue,it seemed like Pffft! nope google tv will never catch on! won't see the light of day past 2011.
    Look where we are,almost 2015 and its still very much around...Vizio pretty much grabbed the torch and ran,now if they'd catch up to the Prime
    with the new software/firmware etc