Quantcast

The Best Reported Flash Workaround For GTV Jellybean Devices

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 12, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi all. Some of these good threads (see link below) tend to get buried - so I thought it would be a good idea to post about this Flash workaround here in the general section of the forum.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...er-remote-programs-work-after-4-2-update.html

The work-around requires a PC (or Mac) and the remote "Splashtop" app. This only works if sideloaded on GTV Jellybean devices (not Honeycomb devices). I know some won't consider this an ideal solution because it requires a PC - but the video quality is reported to be very good. The other 'stand-alone' Flash workarounds for GTV Jellybean devices such as sideloading the Firefox browser along with a Flash APK, the Puffin web browser etc., have reportedly produced results with sub-par video quality.

http://www.splashtop.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I consider a PC necessary for optimal Google TV use now anyway, running Plex and PlayOn, so another application requiring a PC isn't a big deal to me. The good news, I have one PC in house to use with Google TV and that single PC is setup for Google TV access at three HDTVs. If the Flash playback quality is good, I consider the problem solved although I certainly agree needing a PC for so much of what I do with Google TV isn't what I initially planned on and that isn't ideal but it is just the way things are. Bring on the Jellybean update, I will be ready.

• Like Like x 4
  3. retroben

retroben Active Member

NOT A WORKAROUND!

Anything that involves the requirement of a running PC is invalid.
    My single-cored 720p Desktop PC really sucks at running flash,and it lags like a mofo when I try playing 1080P videos.
    The point is to not use a BLOOMIN' PC!
    Anyone can easily use the PC itself by hooking it into their HDTV's related "PC monitor prong" input.

It is considered cheating because the PC is running the flash,not the GTV/LG-AndroidTV itself.

The workaround is to simply install the last available ics version of flash from the adobe archive.

The REAL workaround would be porting the original,high-quality NPAPI desktop Adobe Flash Player to Android using NDK.
    The Linux Desktop version should be much easier to port than the Windows Desktop version.
    If someone can actually do this,all Android devices could get the latest versions of Flash Player like the 11.8 and 11.9 updates.

Edit:Flash is mainly meant to be used for SWF playback of...
    Flash games,interactive flash,flash animations with or without menus,Happy Wheels,and other various concepts.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi I agree that the PC requirement is not ideal - and it's certainly not for everyone. But I wouldn't necessarily classify it as "invalid" - because some users such as ChrisG8 & others find it useful. I was just pointing out that this Splashtop remote method was reported to have the best video quality by forum member EricD. Eric has an LG GTV television on Jellybean OS and he has tested all of the Flash workarounds. I don't own a PC so I won't be using it - but some others might be interested in it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. ChrisG8

If Splashtop playback quality is acceptable, I see this a solution for a lot of people. I had no intention of using a PC when I got my first Google TV box, I hate using a PC connected to a TV and trying to make that work for internet streaming access was less attractive than just continuing my pay TV subscription. Hulu blocked Google TV, nothing I can do about that since Hulu is licensed for traditional PC use only. The solution that works, use a PC as a server sounded awful to me at first but I did it because there was no other way except connecting a PC to an HDTV and that was far worse than accessing a PC with Google TV as client.

I can sure see that some don't want a PC involved, period, and others would rather just use a PC connected directly to an HDTV than the PC server Google TV client set up I decided on.

I disagree with Retroben, this is a workaround since workaround just means having do something extra to find a solution for a need. I haven't seen it first hand to confirm the quality will be acceptable to me but I am confident it will be. There will be no Adobe Flash Player on Google TV Jellybean, I don't see how that is going to change ever so what I think we need until Flash is no longer needed is a workaround. This appears to me to be the best workaround just like using a PC and server was the best workaround for sites that block Google TV.

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

In an ideal world the PC would not be necessary using GTV. But as w/MSN TV 2 and every other internet access device in recent years, the PC remains the most versatile option for these so called stand alone devices. Ignoring the reality of today's small client PC dependency can only lead to frustration & limited internet access.

And yes, Retroben, I understand that budget limitations might make adding a PC less than financially acceptable. But I remember the Webrv/MSNTV 2 purists that absolutely refused to consider purchasing a PC for the things their devices simply could not do. The internet moves too fast for companies to guarantee these devices will be able to keep up.

There are so many cheap PCs both new & refurbished that can act as a server for your media devices. The trend seems to be swinging back around to casting, mirroring & using DLNA servers. Many sites just don't stream well to these devices even tho they are supposed to be optimized for content streaming.

Whatcha gonna do...

Carl

7. ericd

ericd Active Member

The past couple of times I've used splashtop, it seems like the video is lagging a bit. It almost seems like the frame rate is cut in half, still watchable but noticeable. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my pc, internet or the app itself. It still is the best workaround I've found for watching blocked or flash content.

8. ChrisG8

We will want to establish minimum PC requirements to run Splashtop for Google TV but I would think an inexpensive used PC will be able to handle it. I find myself checking the local ads here looking for a cheap used desktop, I am using a laptop now. Since I am not having any issues with the laptop, I may just keep on using it and quick looking for something else.

9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Given what Splashtop does without the benefit of hardware acceleration, it's pretty phenomenal. Obviously it doesn't cut it for people who don't have a decent PC, but it's far more than a flash work-around for those of us who do. Heck, back before I upgraded my Slingbox to the ProHD, I used to connect to my home PC using SplashTop and just run the SlingPlayer App on the PC. Why? Because the video quality was better than using the SlingPlayer mobile App which didn't support the higher resolutions of the desktop player and was pretty unwatchable when using an adapter to play from a phone/tablet to a TV.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LG_Koch

LG_Koch New Member

how do I sideload? I have a LG47g2

11. ericd

ericd Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. Efex

Efex New Member

hi catfish

it says theres nothing in dropbox
    how can i install the splastop on my lg gtv?

13. laoniu

laoniu New Member

I initially planned on and that isn't ideal but it is just the way things are. Bring on the Jellybean update, I will be ready.

• Like Like x 2