Quantcast

Test-Drive: Nexus 7, Chromebox, Google Play As Your PC And TV Service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 30, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Test-drive: Nexus 7, Chromebox, Google Play as your PC and TV service | Computer Hardware - InfoWorld (click for full article)

Our intrepid tester tries life in the 'Googleplex' of Google's mobile and cloud hardware and services

By James Curnow | InfoWorld

"Google's vision of computing involves tossing your PC or Mac and moving to a cloud-centric, all-Google ecosystem. Call it the Googleplex: a mix of the Chrome OS-based Chromebox PC or Chromebook laptop, one or more Android tablets -- perhaps a 10-inch model for work and a 7-inch Nexus 7 for entertainment on the go -- and a Nexus Q home entertainment system that you control via an Android device. (Scratch the Q for now; just a few days before the first units were to shop, Google pulled the Q due to reviewers' complaints and said it would redesign the device at a future date.)

I decided to test the Googleplex to see if it could replace my PC and traditional entertainment offerings, meaning my cable TV provider's content offerings; I still needed the provider for Internet access. Apple has a similar strategy with its iTunes- and AirPlay-connected Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV that seems to be popular. So can Google pull off the same feat using Google Drive (what used to be called Google Docs), its Google Play app and entertainment store, Android, and Chrome OS?"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Too bad the Chromebox currently goes for quite a bit more than the GTV boxes ($330 for Samsung Chromebox) - If it was in the $200- $250 price range I would probably give it a shot. Hopefully later on the price will be coming down with more models available.