Quantcast

Tasker Tasks: Post your Tasker scripts and ideas here!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Tye, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Tye

Tye Member

Tasker is a great Android application that allows you to automate and write simple scripts for your Android device. Although originally tailored towards phones and tablets, a growing number of Google TV users are finding ways to make their GTVs better with Tasker. It is capable of running simple "behind-the-scenes" scripts and even relatively complex "mini-applications." Finally, almost all of the programming is done visually so people who have never programmed before can often figure out how write simple tasks themselves.

If you have a task to share or an idea that you think would make a great task please share it here!

2. Tye

Tye Member

This spot reserved for future updates to main thread.

3. Tye

Tye Member

Well, it still sounds like a good idea but I've been blocked by the inability of the GTV Chrome browser to upload files to this forum. Thanks for looking. When I figure out a good solution I'll update here.
    In the meantime, post your ideas!

4. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I would love to hear others peoples ideas on this. I have thought of what I could do with tasker on a google tv. But I could not think of anything. But this is a good thread an hope it gets good ideas.

5. neojmni

neojmni New Member

i have been trying to have tasker turn on my receiver automatically once the gtv is turned on but with out luck. I am not sure it is possible without some sort of script.

6. Tye

Tye Member

Well, good news/bad news. Good news is after nine awesome years with my girlfriend I'm getting married right after Thanksgiving :) . Bad news is that between prepping for the wedding and I've been too busy to update this post that *I* was so excited to create. Sorry about that, everyone. So, below I've pasted in the reply I wrote from the post that originally started all of this. I hope it gives everyone some ideas and, as before, I'd still love to hear what everyone else comes up with...

-------------------------------------------------------
    Here are a few of my Tasker tasks (not all 100% complete but I've done enough experimenting to confirm that they're viable):
    1. A clock that appears in the lower-right part of the screen 30 minutes before I have to leave for work with a speech-to-text feature that warns me in intervals when it's time to head out. (Complete)
    2. This is not practical but it scores big spouse points: A overlay that looks like an advertisement (that is obviously from me) that only pops up when my (very-soon-to-be) wife is using watching her shows. "Free kisses, must call NOW." etc, etc. Your mileage may vary. (Complete)
    3. I am working on a weather map program that pops up a radar image overlay when severe storms are near. I already wrote a similar script for my phone, so I'm modding that for the GTV. (>50% Complete)
    4. Another user on here was asking about monitoring the bittorrent weekly sites and having the GTV download new torrents when it finds them. Ironically, I don't even use torrents but it sounded like a fun project. (<50% done, having trouble with some regex items in Tasker).
    5. I do use Navi-X a lot. It downloads all of its files into one big folder and you can't rename them. So I wrote a task that I can call whenever I want that moves everything from the Navi-X directory to my "Movies" directory. During the move you can also rename them. This is really useful because Navi-X just uses the default download name which is often filled with a lot of fluff. From there I can open the MovieBrowser app (highly recommended app) to have it start indexing movies. (Complete)

7. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Would love the weather overlay task when it's done.

8. Tye

Tye Member

OH, AND... The *awesome* devs at Enterallion, who created Able Remote, have released a free Tasker plugin, GTV Tasker plugin: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.entertailion.android.tasker

Using this plugin you can now have your Android device send macros to your Google TV. I've already put this to use with the following:
    Using Gentle Alarm, when my morning alarm is turned off, a Tasker script is activated which asks what I want and waits for a spoken reply. I can say things like "Loud CNN", "Quiet CNN", "Weather", Calendar, "Loud CNN and Weather". Tasker then parses the spoken words and turns on my GTV (quietly if S.O. still asleep or loudly if she's already left for work). It can also parse the rest of the words and reads the days weather from WeatherBug. My calendar script is broken currently but the Tasker dev just released an update which I think will make parsing the calendar even easier in my next task update.

(I'll try to post videos soon but don't hold your breath)