Quantcast

Tak Manager/Killer

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by cjhill1836, Jan 29, 2012.

1. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

Has anyone had any success with a task manager or killer on the Revue? It seems that managing open apps is difficult with the current version of Google TV, and that some people have seen increased performance from regular reboots and/or closing down apps manually. I was just wondering if anyone has experimented with this, and what the results have been. Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I use the widget from Advance Task Killer Pro as a one touch kill everything.

• Like Like x 6
  3. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

Thanks! I guess you sideloaded it, because it shows as incompatible in the Android Market, how did you get the apk? How often do you use it, and what kind of benefits are you seeing?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, I side loaded it. You can probably find it in alternative places like GTVHacker's Dropbox account or just Google it. I use it anytime before watching any movies streamed over the web . It is part of a routine to kill all the apps and clear web cache. It prevents quirky things from happening during the video.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

Great info, thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

7. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

so far this task killer app seems to really fix the netfix "we are having a problem,,,,," issue.. i just put the task killer app widget on my home screen and so far every thing i stream seems to play with no problem or anything.. not sure if it has fixed the issue completely but... its at least 75% better.. will keep running test to see if i can break it..

8. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

I decided to give it a try, I have previously fixed most of my streaming issues by adding my Revue's MAC address as highest priority in the QOS menu of my router, but the persistent Netflix "We are having a problem playing this video.." remained. I found a compatible task manager app called Android Assistant, and that has seemed to remedy the issue so far. Android Assistant is in the market for free, and does not need to be sideloaded. It also has a widget that I placed on the home screen, and one click on said widget before I open Netflix seems to do the trick.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I just downloaded the App. Don't understand the the how and why, but it seems to make sense. I take it the App force stops all Apps running in the background? It seems to have some other features I'll have to check out later.

Thanks

Carl

10. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

This discussion is interesting as, by design, android was developed to not need task management. Android is supposed to be smart enough to manage its own memory and by including a task killer you are inherently killing shared processes thar helps android run more smoothly.

The only time an app killer should be necessary is if a poorly developed application has runaway memory leaks. And in that case, yiy really should uninstall the app and contact the developer.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's the difference about theory and practice. Every modern operating system is supposed have a memory management smart enough to manage its resources. Android is no exception. However, a poorly coded application can result in the memory manager to let it keep running in the background. But, that's only the memory resource side of things. The app can actually be stealing CPU resources while it is in the background doing whatever it thinks its supposed to do.

What if that app is built into the operating system? Like for example, Adobes crappy Flash software? or the Dalvik Virtual machine? Since all of the apps from the Android Market are Java based there's less likelihood of memory leaks. The libraries for the Native Developers Kit aren't even present in Google TV nor any of the software that uses it is compatible. In this case, if there is are memory leaks it would most likely be in the operating system or one of the run-time environments.

12. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

If you run into memory issues, then you reboot.

Unlike other operating systems, android is designed to be running with its memory full... that is the way the operating system expects to run. When you start killing tasks, you are circumventing the way the system was designed to operate.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Obviously, how Android is supposed to work and how it actually works on Google TV is currently two different things. Ever since I installed Advance Task Killer Pro, I've never had to reboot either of my Google TV devices due to "memory issues". Unlike other operating systems, Google TV isn't what I would call a stable platform. Probably because of Adobe's Flash is built into it or maybe its the x86 version of the Dalvik run time. It probably works much better on ARM devices where it had much more time to mature, but as it is, I'm sticking with killing apps. Its a one second click versus a three-finger salute and having to wait through its boot process.

14. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I've never had to reboot my Google TV either, and I don't use a task manager. I just find it hard to believe that when it is widely agreed upon that there is no value in Android based task killers that Google TV is the one exception. One of the core values behind the very existence of Linux based operating systems is to avoid what you are suggesting to do. Even out side of Android and Linux, no other modern operating system employs the "one click, kill-all" approach to task management. The only reason task managers such as these exist was because of the old Windows Mobile operating systems... to which they were quite necessary.

For the record, you are hands down, the most helpful and knowledgeable person on this site, but I think you are way off base to be suggesting that employing task killers is an appropriate practice.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

For phones and tablets, sure I understand the value. If you keep something in memory as long you can then it saves battery life from having to reload it from flash storage. However, there are no batteries in Google TV and I can care less about the marginal difference in power consumption. What I do want is an uninterrupted viewing experience while watching movies over the web. You may not approve of my practices and that's fine. We can agree to disagree. However, until the OS becomes more stable where this is not necessary then I'm going to continue to do so. And if people ask what I do then I'm going to keep letting them know.

No, the reason why Task Managers like this existed is not just because of the "old Windows Mobile". But, is because developers for various mobile operating systems abused its multitasking capabilities. They would have random threads spawning and executing gods-knows-what while residing in the background. These background tasks would siphon the off battery life causing a full charged device to run out of juice within few hours.

Android was not excluded from this, it wasn't until 2.0 when they finally implemented a sane approach to memory and task management. And with each release, it has gotten better. However, the current memory management implementations only makes it more resistant to these issues but it is not foolproof. Either a crafty or a dimwitted developer can still get apps to run forever in the background.

F-that. The core value of Linux is to provide a cheap alternative to Unix. And Unix developer's aphorism is and remains to be, "Write programs that do one thing and do it well". This tenant has long been lost to Linux and Android developers as they have a more liberal, "lets see what we can get away with", approach to app development".

kill -9 `ps -ef | awk '/<pattern>/ {print $<column# of pid>}'`

Well, I don't think very highly of your recommendation to reboot either, so we're even.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

I'm loving the discussion guys! I have to say that I agree with both of you, to some extent. I am new to Google TV but not to android, and android in general does not need a task manager. I have an Evo, and a Transformer that I wouldn't think of running with a task manager, but we're talking about the need for a solution here. Google TV is still in it's infancy, and I expect some hiccups... this task killer option is a temporary fix to an issue with the system itself. The Netflix software cannot be uninstalled and reinstalled, and it is one of the main reasons that I purchased GTV. It has to work for me. Rebooting is a slow and tiresome option when one mouse click will do the trick. IMHO GTV is a beta product right now, that is why Google hasn't released the source yet. GTV will mature, but in the mean time this works.

Boomn4x4, I know you don't have the streaming problem, but maybe you have the solution... what settings are you running? I really would prefer not to have the task manager, so maybe your comfiguration is a little different and can fix our problem.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Geeze!

Lol!! First time I had a problem w/Netflix I clicked on that darn widget and yeah, it played well. But when I got to my home page, one of my most trusted Apps, Pandora, had a black hole where the Widget used to be. It said, "Problem loading widget." When I went to page six of my home screen (Launcher Pro) the Android Asistent Widget was also just a black box w/the same wording.

I had to kill Pandora and go into market to update it before both the Default Home Page and the Launcher Pro home screens would work simultaneously again. In this case the cure was worst than the occasional problems w/netflix. I need Pandora to work on the dual home pages. Once I click on a video, I can use the default homepage to restart the music after the video starts to play. I then get the benefit of two audio tracks plus the video.

I like the Pandora App running in the background, because I can watch a long video and also listen to music in the background if I want. Android Assistant killed that option.

But thanks for the trial and error experience. But don't think I wanna go there again just now.

Carl

Ps:

Before I killed the Android Assistent App, I noticed that when I tried to play live videos, they started to skip, which never happened before. You are probably aware that most of us non cable users get our news from Rentadrone. Their buffering is probably the best to be expected on any free live tv site w/their chat service. That website IS NOT supposed to skip with alot less broadband speeds than I currently enjoy. The App killed something while it was running on my box. Of course it was only temporary.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

For starters, I don't have a Review, I have the Sony set top Google TV, so my hardware is different. I also don't use Netflix, I cancelled it several months ago before I got Google TV. I did view streaming Netflix on my Wii, but that's apples and oranges. I do however, stream movies across my wireless network, again apples to oranges, but worth mentioning.

I don't have any "settings" so to speak, I just use the basic included Media Player and and Windows SMB share. I did originally have some streaming issues, where the were bad lags in some of my movies, but after a long troubleshooting process of eliminating bandwidth, wireless network, different media players, different network types, wired vs. wireless, different server types, different router configurations, different video encoding configurations.... I finally found my problem to be the piece of crap freeware software I was using to rip the movies. I've put everything back to the way it was basically the same as the first day I've plugged it in, and video streaming is working fine.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think the problem that you had with Advance Task Killer Pro (ATKP) is that it does kill all the applications in user space. Because Launcher Pro has quite a few active processes in user space to support various parts of its functionality, it will probably act goofy with ATKP. Since I use the default launcher that comes with Google TV, I've never seen that issue. And quite frankly, those sort of quirks also is the reason I don't use alternative home replacements.

• Like Like x 2
  20. cjhill1836

cjhill1836 New Member

I can confirm that this is a non-issue with the default launcher. I have Pandora, Google Music, Twitter, and Android Assistant widgets on my home screen and none have had a hiccup while using the task killer. Also, I am now two days into this solution without having the Netflix error, or having to reboot. I have not seen any ill effects with the stability of the system either. I have not looked into rooting my revue yet, but this looks to be the best solution for now, at least until the Netflix app is updated, or Google releases a system update and/or the source.

• Like Like x 2