Quantcast

System update enables 5.1 DD pass-thru

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by gerryger, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gerryger

gerryger New Member

Received my system update tonight and am happy to say that SONY kept it's promise and has allowed the pass-thru of 5.1 DD from my DVR thru the SONY Bluray Player.

To enable this you must go into the Settings / Picture & Sound page and then turn on 5.1 pass-thru. Note: it is still in BETA. Your system will restart and then you are good to go.

This was a must have feature that I wanted and I am now much more happier with my purchase.

Netflix app has been improved also.

Despite some limitations ex: no back-lit remote, Pandora audio drop outs, and lack of content at the present time, this is a step in the right direction. Keep the upgrades coming SONY>

2. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Great News Gerryger!

This has been a big draw-back for those that have Home Theaters. I was sure it would be addressed in the future for ALL GTV, but sooner is better! Thanks for the info...

3. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

This is huge. I bought the Sony Blu Ray Google TV and had until Late January to return it. I never doubted that Google would improve their end of the package but had my doubts about Sony. If Sony had not fixed the pass through issue by Jan 15th my box was going back. Even with all it's capabilities the 5.1 pass through was a dealbreaker for me. I have not gotten the update yet but if it works as advertised then Sony has kept at least one more device sold.

(FYI - While not a deal-breaker, one nagging issue in Google's court is the momentary dropout in sound when switching from "dual view" and "Live TV". If I am watching a game with others in the room and quickly switch over to check the scores, the sound dropout makes it much more disruptive. Seems like something that shouldn't need to happen so I am curious if that too will be fixed when I get the update).