Quantcast

System Apps: How to update

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by ecd1973, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ecd1973

ecd1973 New Member

Is there a way to check for updates to system apps? I see apps that I installed in the Play Store, but what about apps like Netflix and YouTube that were pre-installed? How do I know I have the latest, and if I don't how do I get the latest?

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Check your notifications and be sure to leave the check mark blank beside hide notifications. You will then be made aware of when an update is available.

3. ecd1973

ecd1973 New Member

I had a notification this morning that just said "Updates Available". When I clicked on it, nothing happened. I checked the apps that I installed and none of them had any updates, so I'm assuming one or more of the system apps have an update available. I just have no idea how to trigger those updates.

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

I believe some of the side loaded Apps cause this and I just ignore that but if anyone else has any ideas as to why this sometimes happens please chime in.

5. zerozed

zerozed New Member

I noticed yesterday that I had 4 apps that supposedly have updates. None of them are sideloaded--Aqua Mail, Dragon Fly (Free), Snag Films, and Redux. I selected "update" and the icon them turned to "updating" but never does anything. I tried it again today, but same results. I unplugged/rebooted the Co-Star and it still does it.

The only other thing to add is that despite Google Play showing those apps have updates, I haven't received a message in the notification bar informing me of updates.

Any ideas?

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try rebooting your router.

7. zerozed

zerozed New Member

I still have internet connectivity via my router--I can stream netflix, music, etc.....what would rebooting the router do for me?

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just trying to help you brother..... If you don't want to believe me that's up to you. But please check out post #26 from this thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ch-revue-run-faster-improved-stability-3.html

From post #26 on that thread:

"My Logitech GTV is connected to an Arris WTM652 modem. (I believe it is a combination modem and router.) It is using a dynamic, not static connection. O.K. I just rebooted the modem/router. The ES File Explorer just installed itself. And the Smart Ram Booster installed in five seconds after clicking install. Thanks catfishrivers."

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Well for one thing, if you try it, and it doesn't fix the problem then it can be ruled out as the cause. If you don't try it, then it can't.

10. zerozed

zerozed New Member

I wasn't trying to sound rude or anything...just curious what the thought process was behind the suggestion because it didn't occur to me. I'll definitely give it a try...why not!

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Even if CatFish hadn't run in to this in the past, it's a good practice to eliminate everything you can as a possible cause to isolate the problem. Routers sometimes do cause weird problems. They have internal tables that can fill up and cause them to fail in certain situations and they can have their own peculiar bugs. Without knowing the specifics about your router, there's no way anyone on this board could guess whether it might or might not be the cause. So reboot it and see. *shrugs*

12. perfectstranger

perfectstranger New Member

I've had no problems with updates but I go to the Play Store>My Apps and do it manually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

13. gadgetman

gadgetman New Member

I had a similar issue with my Redux application (not updating) previously mentioned, I was forced by Redux to Update after clicking Update it took me to the Market screen with Redux and the Update on the Upper Left corner, it stated Updating but never updated. I removed the application then tryed adding the application again unsuccessfully. I also tryed rebooting the Logitech Revue and loading unsuccessfully.

I then read the posting from Catfish (thanks Catfish; you are awesome!) about rebooting the Router (which to be truthfull, I didn't understand how that would fix the issue, but tried it anyway since I had nothing to loose). I actually, for good measure, ended up rebooted the Digital Broadband Modem, the Router as well as the Logitech Revue then went to the Market and tried loading Redux again and it came back right away stating the application had loaded successfully. I am so happy to have Redux back functional as it has become one of my favorite aps.

Thanks Catfish, you as well as this Google TV Forum have helped me to resolve a few issues for my Logitech Revue and enabled me to continue watching sreamed internet content when an update or other issue has caused the Logitech Revue to not function to it's full potential. I am happy there are people like you and others on this forum to dedicate your time to helping others resolve our issues.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012