Quantcast

Switching NSZ-GS7 country by updating firmware?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by snoopstah, Aug 8, 2012.

1. snoopstah

snoopstah New Member

Hi,

Like a few others on here I suspect, I got an NSZ-GS7 at Google I/O this year but don't live in the US. I was pleased to learn at I/O that the NSZ-GS7 was being launched in Canada, and assumed that as we got closer to the launch date of August 13th here, a firmware update would come along that would enable support for Canadian TV providers.

However, with the latest firmware notes not suggesting that this made any difference, I did a factory reset, and sure enough, I still can't get it to accept a Canadian postcode. Curious, I tried to set it up as a UK unit, and also was unable to do so. Given that there are UK units out there and working today, at this point it was fairly obvious that there are different firmware versions for different countries, rather than a generic firmware version.

I did some research on the various Sony support sites, and found the following firmware versions that they claim are the latest:

US: REL03_NSZGS7_U2_1104_4384_20120724_URSC_S67254
    UK: REL02_NSZGS7_CEK_1005_887_3790_20120628_URSC
    Canada: REL03_NSZGS7_CA2_1104_4384_20120724_URSC_S67254

Clearly there are differences in the firmware versions stated, as expected. So I guess I, and anyone else in a similar situation, has a bunch of questions:

1. How do we download these alternative firmware versions? The Sony site says that they can only be downloaded via the device, are we reliant on waiting for someone with the correct country device to packet-sniff the location of these firmware updates?

2. Is it safe to flash an alternative country's firmware update to our device? The Canada and US update versions have all the same details apart from the U2/CA2 identifier, which is probably a good sign?

3. Assuming we solve 1 and are reasonably confident with 2, how do we actually perform the flash? Can we upload it to the device as an update.zip file and flash it via recovery?

If anyone has any answers to any of these questions, or knows how to progress this further, that would be great. I'm happy to act as a bit of a guinea-pig with my device if someone can find the Canadian update and give me details on how to try and flash it (assuming nobody comes up with a definite reason that doing so will brick my device).

2. Undisputed1

Undisputed1 New Member

I called support and they said that you can download the firmware from the Sony site, drop it onto a USB, and flash it to the device.

Sony eSupport - NSZ-GS7 - Support

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I really hope this gives me a guide and proper use of my satellite box.

3. Undisputed1

Undisputed1 New Member

Just noticed this at the bottom of the page, I thought I saw an option somewhere to update via USB. I will update if I can get the update to flash, may have to do it in the boot loader.

Note:
    This update is only available directly through the NSZ-GS7 Network Media Player. It is not possible to download and install this update using a USB device. Please see Check the Current Firmware Version to see if the Network Media player has already been updated, and select Network Upgrade Instructions if the Network Media player has not been updated.

4. snoopstah

snoopstah New Member

You're doing better than me if you can find a download link for the firmware anywhere on the Sony site -- if we had that, we'd be most of the way there I think.

The first page says the file is 1 byte long, and the second page gives no link to download -- I think that because they don't provide an (official) way to flash the image directly, that they also don't provide the image for download (i.e. that page is really just instructions on how to do 'check for updates' in Android).

We may have to wait for someone to buy an official Canadian box, hope it comes with an earlier firmware version than the 3rd August one (which seems likely, as I doubt they can get them through the supply chain and into stores in 10 days), and hope someone is nice enough to packet-sniff the location of the firmware file on Google's servers as the box pulls it down.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. Undisputed1

Undisputed1 New Member

Ya I looked and doesn't seem to be an actual download link anywhere.

I have posted on the GTVHacker form requesting that the OTA link for the Canadian firmware, hopefully someone captures it.
    http://forum.gtvhacker.com/nsz-gs7-streamer/topic954.html

Other than that, once the device gets rooted you will be able to change the country code on the box in the "build.prop" file and the system should download the Canadian firmware after that. This is also the best solution as it will continue to update the Canadian firmware on future OTA's.

Root has already been achieved, about a week ago, just need to wait for instructions to be released.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. caines

caines New Member

As I stated in another forum that this may all be a moot point if the Canadian boxes are missing the tv and movies app. As I stated earlier the box that was in the Sony store in YorkdAle mall(Toronto) did not have the app installed and it was on the same firmware we have. Also on the settings section it said "time and date" unlike ours that say "time, date and location" so if Sony decide to remove this feature in Canada sticking with the American version might be best.

7. snoopstah

snoopstah New Member

Well, partially good news -- lordwill0722 on GTVhacker was able to sniff the URL for the Canadian REV03 update for his NSZ-GS7:

http://android.clients.google.com/p..._REL03_NSZGS7_CA2_1104_4384_20120724_URSC.zip

I was able to flash this to my US NSZ-GS7 by:

1. Downloading the file!
    2. Copying it to a FAT32 formatted USB memory stick.
    3. Renaming it to 'update.zip'.
    4. Unplugging the power from the Google TV box.
    5. Plugging the USB memory stick into the back of the Google TV box.
    6. Plugging the power back in while holding down the connect button on the bottom for 10-15 seconds, entering recovery mode.
    7. Following the on-screen instructions to flash update.zip
    8. Following the on-screen instructions to reset the box to factory settings.
    9. Rebooting the Google TV box.

This has now converted my US box into a Canadian box. Unfortunately, it appears that caines is correct -- by some completely unfathonable reasoning, there is no support for any of the TV-based Google TV features -- no guide, no searching for programs, etc.

To be honest I'm very unimpressed -- if they were just going to rip out all of the useful features of Google TV in order to bring it to Canada, they could have done that with the previous models. I'm very glad that I didn't pay for my box, because if I had, I think I'd be returning it -- with the Canadian firmware, it's really no longer a Google TV box at all, it's just a device that runs Android and has an HDMI output.

8. caines

caines New Member

When I was in best buy the tv section rep said that Sony wasn't going to remove any features from the app and the only thing missing should be apps like pandora and other us tv service apps like buddy tv. He said he was at the sony preview confrence for retailers. But he was also shocked when I told him that the American boxes I currently have has a tv and movies app and then I showed him the sony YouTube preview of the app in work and he said he will look into it and get back to me. He also did state that the app is a google product and maybe google was the reason to remove it. Who knows I am still hoping future updates will fix this issue. Everytime the American version gets updated I will check a Sony store to see what the difference is.

9. caines

caines New Member

does anyone have the US firmware that i can flash the canadain box i bought my mom to the us box?

10. Icecrypt

Icecrypt New Member

Just set up the Sony NSZ-GS7 in the UK. Really disappointing that the TV and Movies App is only available for the US. When setting up I was expecting to put in my Postcode (ZIPcode) and get up the TV listing for my area (similar to Windows Media Centre). I too had looked at some youtube footage and the TV and Movie App Looks great looks great. BIG omission from Google as this functionality could really bring the product alive. I can understand that Sky(Satellite) and Virgin (Cable) in the UK may be causing some obstacles to accessing the EPG data, but if Microsoft has some agreement in place for Media Centre then surely Google can throw some money at it to resolve. If they don't I will be going back to using Media Centre. Cut and Pasted below from troubleshooting guide *TC and Movies for US version only

[h=3]From Home menu[/h][FONT=メイリオ]
    1. 1. Press [​IMG] (HOME).
    2. 2. Select either Live TV or TV & Movies*.
    3. 3. Select a channel (programme position).
    [/FONT]

• * "TV & Movies" is for US model only.