Quantcast

Surround Sound Via DLNA

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by nerdkill, Oct 31, 2011.

1. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

So I just started backing up all of my DVD's (I own everything I'm backing up). I just started playing my first show and there is no 5.1 surround sound, I'm just getting surround sound. This will completely make DLNA worthless to me. Is there a way around this? From reading around the site it seems like I may have to go optical audio out? Can anyone confirm that before I go and waste money on a cable? THANKS!

Edit: I just tried it out using my PS3 and it's the same thing, two channel audio so maybe I'm converting it wrong? Might be in the forum. Does anyone out there know if it is possible to stream five channel audio via DLNA?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Yes it's 100% possible..

3. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

What format are you converting your dvds to?

4. drhill

drhill Member

I use twonky server and have a sony blu ray gtv box. DD 5.1 works as does DTS. I believe DTSMA-HD (from an episode I ripped from my lost blu-rays which is a 1080p mkv) gets read in as just DTS (and the lossless bits are ignored).

5. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

Thanks for the responses, I switched the audio format to ac3 passthru and it works great now. The only thing I haven't done is seen if it will play on my xoom or bionic. If not now I'm sure it will whenever VLC comes to android.

The quality is great, but I was wondering if I'd be be better off connected a hard drive directly to the revue. Would I get better quality or is it going to be the same over dlna. Thanks again.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The only way you'll have worse quality through DLNA server if the server is inappropriately transcoding a compatible format to another compatible format. Otherwise there's no difference in quality, unless your network is so saturated that the data can't get from the server to the client without a high degree of latency.

7. beloved

beloved New Member

Hey guys im sorry to jump into this with my own questions but this is the only topic relative to my issue. As well... I noticed eferz is the go to guy arround here. I have a 46 inch google interent tv, im streaming off of my computer files thru tversity, and while i can see the video on the google tv... "i cant get it to spit out in surround sound...." i have the 'TV' >>> to a dvd home entertainment system "sony as well" i have HDMI cable and optic cable as well.>> please someone help. i was embarrased to post thinking this is just something little but after 2 weeks this is my last resort lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Are your actual video files encoded with 5.1 (3/2+LFE) AAC audio? Most of software encoders will default to stereo to save space. Try playing the files locally on a USB drive and the Sony Media Player will indicate the audio format in the lower left-hand corner of the screen as it starts the movie. If it doesn't reflect the same information while streaming than TVersity is inappropriately transcoding your video.