Quantcast

Streaming shot videos to your tv

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Shadez, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Shadez

Shadez New Member

Does anyone know how to do this? With a Bionic. With DLNA just lets me do pics. I get file not supported when I try videos. mp4 I think.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I would recommend in testing the file locally using a USB drive on your Sony NSX-40GT1. This will allow you to differentiate whether the problem is with the compatibility of the file or server. If the file doesn't play locally then I also recommend to download and install MediaInfo onto a PC. This will help you to determine the differences of the streams that are contained with each file. You can even post the results of a file here if you are unable decipher or do not understand the output. This will provide us with some forensic information to determine compatibility.

3. Shadez

Shadez New Member

Thanks, I'll give that a shot tomorrow when I'm there. But am getting file type not supported. And it's the videos I shot with the Bionic.

Has to be an easy way to just stream your own data from a google phone to a google tv. . without having to upload it to youtube then watch it.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Without more accurate information, its difficult to give you any useful advice. We don't know if the problem is that your DLNA app is transcoding the stream into an incompatible format or if the actual file is being recorded in an incompatible format. I don't have a Droid Bionic, so I don't know what options you have available to you. I guess something to check are your recording options. Determine whether or not there are any pertinent selections to its encoding format and container types.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shadez

Shadez New Member

The Bionic comes with DLNA, however, I think the TV's DLNA only supports photos.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope. Both Sony and Logitech DLNA clients of their Google TV devices support Photos, Music, and Videos. Earlier, you mentioned something about the possibility of MP4 videos. That is actually a format related to MPEG4 containers. A file container only defines how the different streams inside the file are interleaved to provide a linear timeline between them. Since Google TV understands how to read fragmented streams inside this format, the issue of compatibility was probably due to the encoded audio and video streams that were sent to it.

That's why I suggested that you play this videos locally instead of streaming it with your phone. This will allow you to differentiate whether the problem is with the compatibility of the actual file or the DLNA server. If the file doesn't play locally then I also recommend to download and install MediaInfo onto a PC. This will help you to acknowledge the different streams that are contained with each file. You can even post the results of a file here if you are unable decipher or do not understand the output. This will provide us with some forensic information to determine compatibility.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shadez

Shadez New Member

When I look at specs for the Google TV on websites, it says DLNA (P) Photo. That's why I assumed the videos were giving me an error code.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The information is probably obsolete. What websites are you seeing this information? Here is the current related Sony Knowledge Base Article (C1025361)

That's why I suggested that you play this videos locally instead of streaming it with your phone. This will allow you to differentiate whether the problem is with the compatibility of the actual file or the DLNA server. If the file doesn't play locally then I also recommend to download and install MediaInfo onto a PC. This will help you to acknowledge the different streams that are contained with each file. You can even post the results of a file here if you are unable decipher or do not understand the output. This will provide us with some forensic information to determine compatibility.

9. Shadez

Shadez New Member

I can't post links here yet as I'm not at 10 posts lol

But if you go to amazon and search sony 40 inch google tv and look at the specs, you will see:

DLNA/UPnP Playback: Photo (DLNA), Video/Music/Photo (UPnP)

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's old information.

UPnP stands for "Universal Plug and Play". It is an architecture for devices to interact with other Universal Plug and Play devices or software. The UPnP standard has largely been replaced by DLNA which is a superset of UPnP. In fact, I have been streaming MP4 movies from the DLNA server embedded in my NAS and Media:Connect on my iOS devices for several months to the NSX-24GT1.

11. Shadez

Shadez New Member

Thanks! I don't have the tv where I am at now, but you are saying that the Sony 40 inch does indeed have full DLNA support? I was using the DLNA app that came on the Bionic. I just downloaded an app called IMediaShare, was going to give that a try when I get to the tv. And I do appreciate all your help.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shadez

Shadez New Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Umm... that's part of my forum signature. That's one of the two Google TV setups which I own, silly.

It is quite possible that the Sony Media Player isn't DLNA certified. But, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work with DLNA servers.

That's why I keep suggesting that you play this videos locally instead of streaming it with your phone. This will allow you to differentiate whether the problem is with the compatibility of the actual file or the DLNA server. If the file doesn't play locally then I also recommend to download and install MediaInfo onto a PC. This will help you to acknowledge the different streams that are contained with each file. You can even post the results of a file here if you are unable decipher or do not understand the output. This will provide us with some forensic information to determine compatibility.

You're welcome. Glad to help.