Quantcast

Streaming PC -> Revue slow/buffers?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by wise, Jan 12, 2012.

1. wise

wise New Member

I'm trying to stream some xvid tv shows to my tv from my PC over my wireless network.

Tried serviio -> revue connected but couldn't index the files (none showed up in logitech media player)
    Tried twonky -> video starts playing but has to buffer ever few seconds. unwatchable
    Tried tversity -> same exact deal as the twonky server.

I made sure no other activity was going on in the network, and the files I tried are typically sized non-HD tv shows (<200MB). Fast internet (not that that should matter, it's over LAN, right?), relatively new router.

Any advice? Thanks!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The first thing I would check is if the root cause of the symptom is related to the file or the streaming process. Try placing your file on a USB Flash drive to connect locally and see if it will play properly. If it doesn't play properly then it is probably having an issue with the set parameters while it was originally encoded. This can be remedied by using a multimedia converter, like Format Factory or AVS Converter, to adjust the format compatibility. Otherwise, the issue is with the streaming process and could be a myriad of possibilities, but lets not burn that bridge down until we get that far.

3. wise

wise New Member

Thanks for the reply man.

I tried playing the same set of videos directly from my USB stick and they played flawlessly. So it must have something to do with the network. I'm not too familiar with how these DLNA servers work but I'm assuming it shouldn't have anything to do with my external upload speed, right?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's correct. Unless of course, the PC which you're streaming from is outside of your local area network and on the internet. These symptoms typically have nothing to do with your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Now that we've eliminated file compatibility, we'll have to reduce the many other possibilities which it could be.

If you have the available resources, is connecting your Google TV with an network cable to your router instead of wireless. You'd have to disable the Revue's current WiFi connection. Otherwise, its Private Network currently setup on the Ethernet port will prevent you from connecting to your subnet. This will allow you to determine if the issue is related to your wireless networking performance.

Another thing, I would do is test the streaming performance using GTVBox Video Player to differentiate whether the problem is attributed to the DLNA server(s) or not. GTVBox can play media from Windows File Shares and SMB servers. This will allow use to disassociate DLNA services from the diagnosis.

5. wise

wise New Member

Okay here's what I tried:

1. GTVBox Video Player with a Windows shared folder, over wireless. Endless loading screen on any video I try.

2. Wired from router -> Revue, (still wireless from PC -> router) tried both DLNA and Windows share, no improvement. Twonky would either say "Could not play file" or would just show a blank screen with the video controls. GTVBox gave me the same endless loading screen.

3. Wired from PC -> router, wireless from router -> Revue. Tried both DLNA and Windows share, GTVBox with the Windows share was able to play a small video with no loading or buffering, but then I was unable to repeat that (odd...). Twonky gave me the same result: nothing playing.

GTVBox seems really cool, and I'd much prefer to use a Windows share than have to run a DLNA server 24/7, but I'll obviously stick with whatever I can get to work.

Do you know any other things I could try?

Thanks!

6. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Couple things come to mind... the router (how old is it?), the movie format that you're using for testing (is it high bit-rate HD), do you have a lot of apps installed in the Revue and are any of these apps running at the same time?

7. wise

wise New Member

Router is a Belkin, about 3 years old. Movie format is not HD, so I don't think high bit-rate is causing the problem. Also I've only installed 2-3 apps since I got the Revue, nothing too crazy there. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

It "might" be the router... Have you tried with the PC and the Revue both "wired" to the router? If the CPU of the router is slow the Revue's cache might not be replenished in time. My sister had a 3 year old Linksys WRT54G and was having similar issues with the Revue. I gave her my old D-Link DLG4300 and she's now good to go.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, please try a completely wired setup. See if the problem is related to your wireless radios. If it is, then you can overcome this problem by using HomePlug AV PowerLine Network from either either Logitech or Netgear. They make quality adapters which are rated to run at 200Mbps and 500Mpbs respectively.

10. wise

wise New Member

I hooked both PC and Revue via ethernet cable to the router, and videos streamed perfectly. So it must be related to the wireless. I'm going to try borrowing a friend's router before buying one of those products you mentioned ($0 < $130) but I'm glad to have the problem nailed down to one source. I'll let you guys know how it works. Thanks again.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.