Quantcast

Streaming Media Problem

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by TRS, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TRS

TRS New Member

I recently decided to try to get my Revue box to talk to my WHS2011 box (server2008 with easy interface). At first it seemed all to easy like everything with GoogleTV and Revue, but once I started trying to watch files I ran into one problem after another. I do have the honeycomb update, but wishing now I didn't. Ideally I'd like to find out that there is a far better app for viewing media over a network then the Logitech Media Player, but realize thats not likely. Here are some of my complaints/issues.

Piss poor format support.
    Difficult to navigate large collections. Have to use Folder view and it lumps them together.
    Always indexing and is very slow about it.
    Occasionally gets stuck playing the same video no matter which video you click on.
    When I hit rewind, 50% of the time it will freeze and will go back to video list.
    Box occasionally freezes up and has to be power cycled.

I had no issues with my revue until I started streaming from my server.

2. TRS

TRS New Member

Looks like my answer is Serviio, but still open to suggestions.

3. Mar

Mar New Member

IMO, the current generation of Google TV hardware lacks the processor power to play HD files over a network consistently well. There may not be a good app to do this on these Intel-based devices. Just about all of the issues you cited are symptoms of a device that's trying to do more than its processor is capable of doing.

4. TRS

TRS New Member

I agree, but I dont require blueray quality playback. There should be no problem running DVD quality though once I find the right formats and numbers to plug in when I convert. I have about 6TB of movies so I have to go with trial and error before I go converting the whole collection. Serviio seems to be an acceptable solution for the time being, but the inconsistant playback is killing me. Some h264 acc files play fine, some dont play at all, some crash when I try to skip forward and back.

5. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

That's not true. Google TV has enough processor power to play any media file (look at Boxee Box it has the similar hardware).
    All those issues with playback are fully software issues which Google/logitech don't want to deal with.

6. drose1521

drose1521 New Member

I use Plex to stream blu-ray quality movies from my WHS 2011 server to my google tv. It also works great on android devices. It has an amazing interface that is easy for anyone to use even non-techies. I also use serviio to stream, but it doesn't have the nice interface that Plex has.

7. TRS

TRS New Member

I looked at plex, saw you had to run a plex server, is this software or an addin that will load in WHS2011?

8. drose1521

drose1521 New Member

Use Remote Desktop Connection to log into the server from a Windows computer, and you can download and install the software from Plex's website. It works the same way as Serviio. I don't think there is an add-in for WHS. I run Serviio on my WHS server to stream to my samsung blu-ray player and tv, and I run plex to stream to my android phone and tablet, google tv and nook color. It's great. It even streams over 3g.

9. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

Just to throw another wrench into the mix, I've also found the software that rips the video can cause problems. I was using Any Video Converter, and after a long troubleshooting process I found it to be the problem. I switched converters and my playback problems went away.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

10. TRS

TRS New Member

Drose, I have a very similar setup (nook colors,TV, Android handsets, so on), what format did you find to to best compromise for quality/size while remaining comparable for all devices?

11. drose1521

drose1521 New Member

TRS, I used the 720p baseline handbrake settings from and xda thread (google "Guide 720p Handbrake Preset for TF101" b/c it won't let me post the link with less than 10 posts here), and the videos work on my Asus Transformer, google tv, Motorola Atrix and Nook Color. Plex is pretty useful in that it will transcode the video if it will not play natively on a device. I did have to lower the video constant quality in handbrake from 20 to 21 or 22 on some of the videos.

12. Yogimax

Yogimax New Member

I have been running Plex server on my WHS2011 home server successfully and streaming to a mixture of Android phones, tablets, Windows PCs and my Logitech Revue Google TV. I have a number of points / suggestions...

1 As has been stated, Plex will transcode on the fly media to a format supported by the device. However, the device must have HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) enabled for this to work. Unfortunately the initial upgrade to the Logitech Revue to Honeycomb 3.1 does not have this, although an update is meant to be coming - eventually! As such for the Logitech Revue to work, the files must be transcoded to a format it supports e.g. H.264 and AAC.

2 My system currently is to download whichever TV shows etc I am interested in using Sickbeard. These are then transcoded overnight using the command line version of Handbrake by a scheduled task running a cmd script my brother wrote. I use the normal setting on Handbrake but could also use the 720P as stated.

3 The last part of the script at 2 above, moves the transcoded files to a folder which Sickbeard watches. These get renamed by Sickbeard and moved to the correct TV series folder - Plex monitors this folder and automatically downloads the metadata and declares the media files to be available to all its clients!

The above works nearly seamlessly and without much operator interference!

13. TRS

TRS New Member

Thanks guys, you have given me lots to try, and it's greatly appreciated.

14. bornadog

bornadog New Member

Down load GTV Box, great media player. I have had no issues with it.