Quantcast

Streaming media from PC to NSZ-GT1

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by RMCan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. RMCan

RMCan New Member

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to internet capable TVs so please be patient with me. I have the NSZ-GT1 and am trying to stream files from my PC to the box. On my PC, I am using Windows Media Player as a server, and in my streaming settings it shows my Sony box and the permission is set to allowed. But when I search for the network on the NSZ-GT1 it doesn't come up; it only shows the local USB input. Is there a better way to accomplish my goal of streaming to my TV? A step-by-step would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Four step process Steps
    1. Do not use Windows Media Player
    2. Download and install one of many DLNA server apps; Twonky, TVersity, Logitech Media Server, etc
    3. Index files you want to share over DLNA
    4. Play them on the Sony Media Player

3. RMCan

RMCan New Member

I installed TVersity on my computer and added several different media sources to my library, but still when I open the Media Player on the NSZ-GT1 I can't find the files. The device list only shows Internal memory. Is there something else I might be doing wrong?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Is it possible that your computer and Google TV are in separate subnets? The display of available DLNA servers works off of a LAN broadcast where each device will respond that it is available. If the two devices are not within the same network then you will not see it. Something you can try with TVersity instead is to use its flashlib URL so you can access its content via Chrome. http://<tversity.pc.ip.address>:41952/flashlib

5. RMCan

RMCan New Member

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I tried TVersity on both my laptop and desktop and both encountered the same problem. How can I tell if my GTV is on a different subnet than my computers? If that is indeed the case, is there a simple way to get them on the same network?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, but it would require understanding your network components and layout. One way to check is to look at their individual devices IP and subnet mask. If you can list them all here, I can tell you if they are or are not in the same subnet. Btw, did you ever try the URL I recommended in Chrome?

7. RMCan

RMCan New Member

I haven't had the chance to check the URL yet because I am at work. I will try that, as well as list the IP and subnet mask of the devices, when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.