Quantcast

Streaming locally stored video

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by mikebush99, Jan 7, 2012.

1. mikebush99

mikebush99 New Member

Hi

I'm new to GoogleTV, so bear with me...

(How) Can I stream photos and video stored on local computers or drives to my Google TV? I have a wireless network set up. I have managed to access my music collection via the Google Music App, but no luck with photos or video so far.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

2. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, you may stream Music, Video, and Pictures. However, in order to use either the Logitech or Sony's Media Player, you will need to use a DLNA server on either your computer or NAS device. You could use Logitech Media Server, Sony VAIO Media Plus, Twonky Multimedia, TVersity, or any of the DLNA server software available on the internet.

Otherwise, if you want to stream videos from your Windows File Share then you can use GTVbox Video Player. Photos can be streamed if loaded into Picasa and viewed through the Photos app. And, you've already figured out an alternative for music.

4. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

I'm using windows file share along with gtvbox video player > when i try to stream a large MKV file it gets stuck at the beginning of the video when playing on my google tv.... suggestions?

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

How big are we talking? 12 or maybe 15 gigabytes? Have you contacted mcd2000 about this?

6. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

8.10 gigs and this is the only place i have posted about it.

Will GTVbox player play videos over 8 gigs? if not what should i try?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

As for 8G, that shouldn't be a problem at all. I've have quite a few movies are are around 12 to 15 GB on my NAS box. They stream through its embedded TwonkyMultimidea server and they play perfectly fine on both Sony and Logitech Media Players which were included with these Google TV devices. So, I can't explain why it doesn't work for you.

Check out this thread, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4075-gtvbox-video-player-support.html" it was created by the author of GTVbox TV Player, mcd2000. Post a message. Hopefully, you'll get a response.