Quantcast

Streaming Content from My PC to the Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by Zoblots, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Zoblots

Zoblots New Member

Hi - I just got the Sony Blu Ray with Google TV yesterday and love it so far. I've read that it is possible to stream media that is on my PC to the Google TV, but I don't have any clue how to do it. I found the media player app on the Google TV. What app would I need to install on my PC in order to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You'll need a DLNA server in order to share it with the Sony Media Player over the network. I personally recommend Twonky Multimedia Server and setting the Media Receiver to Android.

3. George

George New Member

you need an app called gtvbox it will see your windows shared drives and plays most files.. great on the sony google box not so great on the gtv. does not play dts sound encoded video on gtv but does on the nszgt1

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Aaah, licensing fee of DTS... oh, how I hate how it segregates usability across devices.

5. Zoblots

Zoblots New Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into both of them!

6. Zohonie

Zohonie New Member

I used to be able to stream videos and music without any software on my computer to my sony google tv simply because my tv and computer were on the same network. Recently the tv was updated and suddenly the tv doesn't see the computer. Help??

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Your computer was probably sharing your multimedia files through Windows Media Player sharing. That acts like a DLNA server which the Sony Media Player can stream the content. Before Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) it was impossible to stream your videos any other way.

8. Zoblots

Zoblots New Member

I set up my DLNA server and then added some content to it, but now I can't figure out how to access it from the Sony Google TV. When I go to the media player from the list of apps, the only option is to play local media. Is there a way to have it connect to my DLNA server? Thanks again for the help!

9. rajesh78

rajesh78 New Member

click the menu button on your remote and select devices, hopefully your pc is shown in the list..make sure all your media content is in your home group network with full share access

10. Zoblots

Zoblots New Member

I am almost embarrassed to admit why it wasn't working for me after I installed the DLNA server. My upstairs PC that has all of my content was in sleep mode so the DLNA server couldn't be found. It's working perfectly now and I really appreciate everybody's help!

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Heh. Don't worry. Simple reasons like that get the best of us. Everyone now and then I look past the obvious because of inexcusable assumptions. Then much time is wasted from hours to days, when I could have saved all that time by double checking the basics.

Anyways, I'm glad its working out for you. Hope you enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2