Quantcast

Stream Movies from an Ext hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Amazon Fire TV' started by dandroid, Apr 5, 2014.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Will you be able to stream movies from an ext hard drive with the Fire TV?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Several reports on Amazon indicate the answer is no. There are a lot of reviews available already. I think that issue should be addressable by firmware update or app, that sure doesn't seem like the hardware design could make USB playback impossible. See this review by atoy74 for one example which is followed up by several comments acknowledging that issue.

"The unit is unable to play DLNA or local USB storage content. "
    atoy74| 8 reviewers made a similar statement

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't got around testing local files myself, yet. But, there is a report (by "joeyf"@ another forum),
    "joeyf" posted ... 'I just got the Android XBMC app sideloaded to my Fire TV and running excellent!.... I also have access to local content on my Samba share with a real media player that supports playlists and gapless playback of my FLAC files...."

I hope his report is accurate, plus he doesn't mind quoting him here :p

so, i think it's too early to claim what the unit can or can't do.
    fyi, i was the first to make a use out of the usb port which many early claimed that it was a disabled port.

4. ChrisG8

If playback from external USB drives will require side loading XBMC, that isn't exactly a workaround that any mainstream market will embrace but of course for the tiny market that will do that, it would be great news.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I don have the answer the OP is looking for, yet. He's maybe looking an official app or a way to do it (as workaround). I was just trying to point out that the unit tech-capability needs more time to figure out. As you know, products review comments aren't the same as forums comments+discussions. If someone reads his product review then he'll assume that the usb port is totally useless. imo, his comment sounded as if the usb port is just there to plug-in a fan :rolleyes: .... Maybe this is only a cloud based device & maybe not... (Plex app is a good sign, btw)

6. ChrisG8

The Plex app should be a great way to play content from a PC, including from drives connected by USB to the PC and I would sure think a USB drive will eventually be accessible directly with the Amazon Fire TV and I will be surprised if that isn't available quickly. Maybe a media player app like Avia will handle it.

7. csrini1

csrini1 Member

I think any box which doesn't have additional functionality to play local content like dune/Micca/boxee box apart from streaming and playing/using apps would not click.

8. ChrisG8

I would say none of those boxes clicked but I agree that USB connected drives need to be accessible and the usual file formats and codecs supported. If it is necessary to buy an app that handles licensing of needed formats and codecs, that is a good approach since only a very tiny market needs DTS and some of the other possibilities.

9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Any App which can be sideloaded could in theory be published through Amazon - unless of course Amazon rejects it on some grounds.

10. bhelpuri

bhelpuri New Member

You need "ES files" and some player like "MX Player" or "BS Player", it works perfectly fine. I am able to run upto 1080p vidoes with all kind of audio and video formats from my NAS.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I prefer a NAS solution so the spinning disk can be in another room, but so far it looks like there's no support for anything beyond mice and keyboards via USB.