Quantcast

Stream/cast/send/mirror audio to Sony Google TV from phone?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by SonyMayn, Jan 26, 2014.

1. SonyMayn

SonyMayn New Member

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to stream/cast/send/mirror audio to a Sony Google TV box from an android phone?

I am playing music on wimp (same concept as spotify) so i have no local music on my phone. Which means I am not looking for a music player (replacement) that can stream a song to the google tv. But rather a way to have the audio from the phone mirrored on the google tv. This way hopefully even fm radio could be streamed to the box.

I figured I could do this over bluetooth, but as far as I have understood the bluetooth in the sony box is only for the remote.

Thanks

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Google TV Remote app and the Cheapcast app?

3. SonyMayn

SonyMayn New Member

The google tv remote app only controls the google tv box and the cheapcast app can, as far as i can tell, only sound video/audio from within a google app. What I want i an app that sends the system audio from the phone to the TV, so independently of which app the audio comes from it will get streamed.

Edit: I'm looking into airplay apps atm, root is required though and it seems silly to install an Airplay app on the google tv when it does DLNA.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Cheapcast is supposed to send tabs from web pages. So I thought maybe you can go to the web page of the Wimp service that is streaming your music and tab cast that over to your GTV. However Cheapcast says it doesn't work with web sites that use DRM such as Netflix - so I'm not sure if it will work for your situation. I remember some GTV users have in the past said that on certain web sites only the audio worked with the tab casting on certain web sites. I believe the Cheapcast app is still in beta. Did you try it?

Yes the GTV Remote app allows you to use your phone as a remote for GTV. It's not full mirroring, thus only content that is natively supported by your GTV box will work with the GTV Remote app.

Other than that I believe the only options would require a hardware device such as a miracast adapter.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. SonyMayn

SonyMayn New Member

If anyone else want to do something similar, this is what I ended up doing.

Bought the airtight app for 1$ and installed it on the google TV, rooted my android phone (Moto G) and installed the fee app airstream on it. Airstream grabs all audio system wide and transmits it over airplay.
    So I end up with two android devices, one of which is rooted, that in order to send audio from one to the other have to refer to buying a app and using an Apple protocol to achieve what I want - not a great victory for google ;) If anyone comes up with a better way I am still very interested but this setup works, though with a small delay in the audio transmitted.

Airtight on play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brochos.tva&hl=da

Airstream on play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kineticgamestudios.airtunes.android&hl=da

• Like Like x 4
  6. KLINK

KLINK New Member

Have you tried PlayTo TV?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dayglows.vivid.lite