Quantcast

Stream AVI videos

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by dmbfan13, Mar 9, 2012.

1. dmbfan13

dmbfan13 New Member

Hello! Coming from a Logitech Revue, I had no problem streaming any file type using the GTVBox app. Going to the Sony Bluray Google TV, I find that it can't seem to play AVI files. Is this true??? Seems very strange. That's a major deal breaker for me if that's true. Just wanted to confirm it.

Thanks!

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If the Sony Bluray has the 3.2 firmware that supports HLS you should be able to stream avi's with no problem using plex for google tv. Last time I checked it was only .99 cents in the store.

I myself could never get streaming to work with my setup using GTVBox but was able to get it to stream stuff from my computer to google tv after I read a certain post in the forums about someone else having problems with it and had a fix for it. Can't remember what the fix was since I use plex for streaming most of the time.

3. dmbfan13

dmbfan13 New Member

I will definitly give it a shot!! If Plex works, I'll be very happy!!! Thank you for the tip!

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You do need to run the plex mediaserver on the computer you want to stream from but it's pretty easy to set it up. You can get it at - Get Plex!

Make sure you download the server and not the media center if you use windows :)

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

It took me a while to get it perfect but I have no problem streaming avi videos from my windows 7 computer to my gtv bluray. I just use the basic media player and an smb share. I did buy gtv box, but it hasn't worked well for me. Also tried using a dnla server but didn't notice any improvement. Biggest hurdle I had was figuring out the software I was using to encode sucked and was causing my streams to lag.

Sent using TapaTalk

6. dmbfan13

dmbfan13 New Member

So, I really like Plex! However, video quality isnt very good. Most of my videos are 720p or higher. Streaming them through Plex seems to take a major hit as far as video quality goes. I tried changing my video quality settings within the Plex app, but the highest it seems to let me go is 8mbps. Again, when I used GTVBox, I was able to stream full video quality. Is there other options I might be missing?

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Did you set it's settings to direct play as that should play the files directly through your network without transcoding.

Also see if you have an update for plex as mine updated last night.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012