Quantcast

Strange issues with costar

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by tannor, Oct 5, 2012.

1. tannor

tannor New Member

So I am on FIOS and have a motorla 7232 DVR for over a year. Never once had an issue.

Over the past 3 weeks, I keep losing LIVE TV. The Costar will work, where I can stream say netflix, but if I hit LiveTV it stops working and just get a black screen.

I try to replug and unplug HDMI cables, and recycle the costar it does not fix it. I even try to plug the FIOS box directly into another HDMI port and no longer works.

The only fix is to unplug the FIOS box and restart.

MY first instinct says it is the FIOS box, but I have never had this issue once, all of a sudden I am getting it now on a routine basis.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it really a bad FIOS box? I can get another easy but hate to have to do all my recordings again. Is it that the FIOS is losing handshking wiht costar and only way to get it back is reboot the FIOS Box?

Anyone seen this? Thanks

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Try separating the Fios box completely for a few days and hook it up to a separate HDMI TV input. If this solver the issue then it could be a bad HDMI input connector at your GTV box. If the issue persists while the boxes are separated then try switching out the potentially bad HDMI cable for a new one. If you determine that it is not your Fios box or a bad HDMI cable then I would suggest you replace the GTV box. If it happens again I would switch to the Sony GTV box and see if you have any better luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'm using the Sony GS7 with the 7232, so, in theory that should work fine. Definitely separate as Chopper suggests to isolate the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tannor

tannor New Member

Thanks for all suggestions, I contacted Vizio chat and they asked what kind of HDMI cables I had, I had to look it up since I bought it at monprice about 3 years ago, and was HDMI 1.3a, he suggested we need 1.4

I am going to buy 2 new cables I guess just to rule it out, but is that right? Do you think it will make a difference?

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

IMO it's unlikely to make any difference unless one of your cables is just bad. If it's HDMI related, it might help to turn off HDMI Control/CEC.

6. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

I have the 7232 as well and this happened to me once. I thought unplugging the costar would do the trick, but it didn't. I had to unplug the cable box and reboot it. That fixed it. I also found it quite strange and coincidental that this would happen right after I added costar to the mix but rarely ever before (maybe once in 2 years). Hasn't happened again since (been less than a week), but now I won't be surprised if it does.

7. yorT

yorT New Member

Same thing happens to me with my scientific atlanta box through time warner cable. Only difference is everything is blue with black shading. The only fix is to unplug my DVR box from the wall and plug it back it. Takes like 10 mins to boot back up. Never had this problem before using the co star. Maybe i'll have to check my HDMI cable when I get home. Also don't really want to isolate my cable box off the co star as I like the way it organizes my live TV. Oh well.

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Guys test the above cable box/satellite tv receiver display screen parameters, I believe this is your problem, the above parameters are needed by the Vizio Co-Star in order to function properly according to Vizio Corp high tier techs... What I did was change the 1080p 24/30 pass to YES also, along with the 1080i too, no more cutting off rebooting problems ...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012