Quantcast

Strange HDMI input On NSX-40GT1

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by pixelheresy, Apr 7, 2015.

1. pixelheresy

pixelheresy New Member

Hey all-

Been trying to find a good answer and not sure I located any thread in here that addresses the same issue. Throwing this out there to see if anyone has any clue...

I've had a Sony NSX-40GT1 ["Google TV"] since, I believe, 2008 and it has been great. Up until yesterday, the HDMI [both to my Bluray player and the XBOX 360] has worked flawlessly, but yesterday, while my daughter was watching a DVD on the player, I noticed that the colors looks grainy and heavily artefacted, with weird dithered gradients, pink stripes through things, and all sorts of other weirdness. If you stood back really far and squinted, it all looked right, but of course, that is not how you'd want it to work... :D

Anyway, I was thinking it was just the player or something... Nope... Even if I was on the "No signal" screen, the borders of things had a pink "halo" of sorts... so I can't be the cable (there is no signal). Also, the XBox 360 seems to have a similar picture. I tried reseting the picture adjustments [no change]. Tried turning off smoothing and while correction, etc. etc. etc. Nothing makes a difference. If I am in the menus or watching Netflix, it is 100% fine, but any input [including the Blue screen saying that there isn't any signal] has there graphical artefacts.

Any idea what to do? I was working perfectly up until yesterday and no matter of switching cables, plugging in one at a time, turning/unplugging the TV, etc. seems to make the slightest difference.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is the problem apparent with multiple HDMI inputs? Does it happen with component input? Is there an HDMI switch or AVR between devices and HDTV? Is there an issue with cable TV or antenna OTA TV? It sounds like an LCD panel problem possibly but that couldn't be the issue unless you just haven't noticed it yet with Netflix or other internet TV signal directly to the HDTV. The Sony Google TV was released in late 2010 if I recall correctly.

3. pixelheresy

pixelheresy New Member

You are totally right... 2010. Ugh... my brain... :)

Anyway, it is the same with composite. It is an NTSC TV and I currently live in Stockholm, so not getting anything from the antenna/cable tv jack right now... I am using a 200 watt max load voltage converter [even though many Sony's will internally step, I was never prepared to take the risk... and yeah it is a big'n]. It wasn't the move, since we moved 1.5 years ago and have been in the current apartment for over 6 months.

There is nothing in between. Normally the Blueray goes to one of the back panel inputs and the XBox to the other. Directly. Both with decent cables that have been working fine until now, one which is under a year old, the other is under 2, I believe. If I move either or both to the side HDMI ports, it looks the same [even on the "no signal" menu]. It is quite strange.

I put Composite cables into the Component/Composite ports and still see the same thing/same thing on the "No signal" blue screen... Basically, everything that I *can* test from external ports seems to do that. I mean, I can dig up an old VHS player from the storage and hook that up with the antenna jack [since as I said, the PAL wall hookup will give me nothing] and I don't have anything with Component readily testable [we have a Wii hooked up in the bedroom, but would have to dismount the TV from the bracket to reach the cables properly].

I will take some picture tonight and post them (if the camera is able to capture what I am seeing properly... it should... it is pretty noticeable).