Quantcast

Still worth it?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by artyzipp, Jan 12, 2013.

1. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

I am getting ready to get a Gtv box to control a TiVo. I like the harmony remote of the Logitech revue, but is this still worth it or am I better off getting one of the newer boxes?

2. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

The Logitech is no longer being updated. I have one and it has it's moment of crappiness and moments of greatness. Waiting to get one of the 2nd generations ones; just waiting for review on the new ones by Asus and Netgear. I would get a new one if I were you, at least they are being updated and improvement and new apps will come to those systems.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I like the Logitech Revue but my recommendation would be to get one of the newer boxes now. The control of other devices is the one area I don't think the new boxes will equal the Revue but for practical use of Google TV itself, the new boxes will be better.

4. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Okay...the Logitech keyboard remote is enticing

5. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

do we know if the new devices are going to be faster? I really like the keyboard on the revue.

6. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

how do we know if we have the latest update or the latest chrome update?

7. ChrisG8

There have been many reports from owners of both first and second generation boxes of speed increases with the new boxes, some report significant increases others very slight. I certainly believe the new boxes are faster and as important is the fact the new boxes with ARM processors are running the chip developers are working with for new applications. I love the Logitech K700 keyboard for use with Google TV and use it with the Sony NSZ-GT1 as well as the Logitech Revue. I have read the Sony NSZ-GS7 can also be operated without loss of functionality by the K700 keyboard but I haven't read such assuring reports about the other models yet. It seems we are in a minority, most people prefer the smaller dual sided remotes, particularly the Sony NSZ-GS7 remote but any of them seem to get higher marks than the Logitech K700. So be it, this old guy likes a full sized keyboard. I would expect some new functions will require the new controllers at some point, if that hasn't happened already. Since I don't own any second generation models, I can't really know much about the issues with using the Logitech K700 with any of them.

I may just continue to run first gen boxes and be left behind or I might pick up the Sony NSZ-GP9 if it is released.

8. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. ChrisG8

With the Logitech Revue, look at the build number under settings about, if you see the Oct. 9, 2012 date that is the latest update. I don't know for certain there will be no more updates, in fact I still hope further updates are coming.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

With that update I assume the latest chrome browser came with that?

11. ChrisG8

Yes, as far as I can tell no different than the latest update for my Sony NSZ-GT1.

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's the latest Chrome browser for Google TV devices. It's a specially modified version of Chrome 11 - I believe the current Chrome browser for desktops and android is Chrome 24. So even though your update has the latest GTV browser - it's quite a bit behind the Chrome browser versions on every other computer, android device, etc.

I have also read that the Sony NSZ-GS7 will default to mobile versions of web sites on certain occassions. It is running the same Chrome browser as the other GTV devices and I'm still not sure how that works and I can't confirm it because I only own the Logitech Revue. My Revue never defaulted to a mobile version of a web site.

All GTV devices are currently running the following browser (this even includes the LG GTV televisions that have received the new GTV 3.0 update):

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Safari/534.24

You can use this web site to check your browser information (user agent string):

http://kluge.in-chemnitz.de/tools/browser.php

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ChrisG8

That is a good point, I assumed the question was is this the latest Chrome browser that can be installed on a Logitech Revue Google TV? That answer is yes. Is it the last Chrome browser that will ever be installed on a Logitech Revue? I hope that answer is no but I sure have no way to know.

14. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

the Update is being rolled out now as you read this.. I for one,have no received my update yet..but hope that changes this weekend or next